[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writers who died a horrible death. https://en.m.wikipedia.or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: Rejtojeno.jpg (13 KB, 220x330) Image search: [Google]
Rejtojeno.jpg
13 KB, 220x330
Writers who died a horrible death.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenő_Rejtő
>>
Edgar Allan Poe
>>
>>7715411

>Mah 6 Gorrillion.

His work was shit.
>>
Pablo Neruda was very likely assassinated by the Pinoche regime.

http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/05/201252172550321452.html
>>
Marlowe was also assassinated.
>>
>>7715425
Have you read any of the books?
>>
>>7715411
I recently spent time in Hungary. Aside from the fact that a good portion of the female population is super cute and extremely finger-bangable, the country exudes this state of slight desperation. Not like 3rd world desperation, but it's a slightly miserable place, despite no apparent, serious misery. People seem less miserable in some third world countries I've been too, and it's not an American kind of miserable, either (which is a whole different topic). Anyone else know what i'm talking about?
>>
DFW
>>
>>7715517
I know.
I fucking live there
>>
>>7715524
i'm probably not saying what I mean clearly though, because Budapest is a really unique and beautiful place, and I think the Hungarian people are really great. There's just an undercurrent of misery. It doesn't surprise me when I read about how a famous Hungarian writer died a fucked up death.

I do want to go back though. It is a really lovely place. I thought Hungarian girls had the sexiest funny accents I've ever heard, and kinda like Poland or Czech Republic, there's a really disproportionate population of beautiful women.
>>
Bruno Schulz (look him up, amazing work) was moved to a Jewish Ghetto, where he quickly became the favorite of one of the German officers, guaranteeing his survival. One day he went and bought some bread, walked into the wrong officer's territory, and was shot.

Friedo Lampe (openly gay) lived through all of this but by the time the Soviets arrived, he had lost so much weight that he didn't look like the photo in his passport anymore, they were under orders to shoot anyone with a possibly fake passport so they shot him.
>>
>>7715517
yeah i totally get that. it seems to just be the culture, the people there tend to have really funny pessimstic, slightly self deprecating senses of humor
>>
>>7715533
Lorca's death was worse than Schulz's (since you're retarded enough to think he died a horrible death).
>>
>>7715619
>edgy death olympics
Sssh
>>
That come to mind are Robert E Howard, Thomas M Disch and Ernest Hemmingway, who all shot themselves. I thought William S Burroughs did too, but my bad, he shot his wife in the head playing William Tell.
>>
File: Janusz_Korczak[1].png (55 KB, 233x370) Image search: [Google]
Janusz_Korczak[1].png
55 KB, 233x370
>In 1939, when World War II erupted, Korczak volunteered for duty in the Polish Army but was refused due to his age. He witnessed the Wehrmacht takeover of Warsaw. When the Germans created the Warsaw Ghetto in 1940, his orphanage was forced to move from its building, Dom Sierot at Krochmalna 92 to the Ghetto (first to Chłodna 33 and later to Sienna 16 / Śliska 9).[13] Korczak moved in with them. In July, Janusz Korczak decided that the children in the orphanage should put on Rabindranath Tagore’s play, The Post Office.

>On 5 or 6 August 1942, German soldiers came to collect the 192 orphans (there is some debate about the actual number: it may have been 196), and about one dozen staff members, to transport them to Treblinka extermination camp. Korczak had been offered sanctuary on the “Aryan side” by Żegota but turned it down repeatedly, saying that he could not abandon his children. On 5 August he again refused offers of sanctuary, insisting that he would go with the children. He stayed with the children all the way until the end.
>>
>>7715619
>implying dying in a ghetto isn't a horrible death, period
We're just talking about the writers who did
>>
Daniil Kharms, an absurdist novelist and poet, IIRC starved to death on his way to a labour camp in 1941 because he was slandered by a girl he didn't give enough attention to. She would even visit him shortly after he was arrested.
Isaac Babel was arrested during the Great Purge. His collection of short stories about the Red Cavalry during the Polish invasion of the Soviet Union brought him the ire of it's commanding officers, apparently he wrote something critical of the collectivisation in the Ukraine which could never be published and during his arrest they found the manuscripts for a novel about the careers in state security.
Erich Mühsam was a German Jewish anarchist writer battered to death shortly after the fascists came to power. They would have him attacked by an ape while under arrest.
Joe Hill was a marxist Swedish American songwriter ("there's a pie in the sky when you die (it's a lie)") executed, purportedly, for a murder comitted two blocks away from where he lived during the first red scare in the United States.
Albrecht Haushofer was a dissident and the son of an important German nazi scholar. Albrecht was shot shortly before the arrival of the Russians for fear he would tell who was who and did exactly what in the academic establishment of the nazi regime.

>>7715456
Or was it just a drunken brawl? ;)
>>
File: 03231r.jpg (69 KB, 493x640) Image search: [Google]
03231r.jpg
69 KB, 493x640
Boris Pasternak - sent to Siberia because he won the the Pulitzer.
>>
Harper Lee.
>>
>>7716118
Not quite. His fate was the same as that of the black listed commies from Hollywood. Imagine you are an American writer and suddenly the Union of Writers of the USSR decides you deserved the Lenin Prize. Bad luck.
>>
>Kafka's laryngeal tuberculosis worsened and in March 1924 he returned from Berlin to Prague,where members of his family, principally his sister Ottla, took care of him. He went to Dr. Hoffmann's sanatorium in Kierling near Vienna for treatment on 10 April, and died there on 3 June 1924. The cause of death seemed to be starvation: the condition of Kafka's throat made eating too painful for him, and since parenteral nutrition had not yet been developed, there was no way to feed him. Kafka was editing "A Hunger Artist" on his deathbed, a story whose composition he had begun before his throat closed to the point that he could not take any nourishment. His body was brought back to Prague where he was buried on 11 June 1924, in the New Jewish Cemetery in Prague-Žižkov.Kafka was unknown during his own lifetime, but he did not consider fame important. He became famous soon after his death.
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Martinson
>>
>>7715533
>he had lost so much weight that he didn't look like the photo in his passport anymore, they were under orders to shoot anyone with a possibly fake passport so they shot him.
Wew talk about bad luck
>>
File: 134.jpg (357 KB, 1024x678) Image search: [Google]
134.jpg
357 KB, 1024x678
>>7715420
good 1 m80
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.