[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Spanish speaker, english is my second language >Bought
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: IrvineWelshFilth.jpg (33 KB, 294x475) Image search: [Google]
IrvineWelshFilth.jpg
33 KB, 294x475
>Spanish speaker, english is my second language
>Bought Filth by Irvine Welsh (my first Welsh book btw)
>I knew that he uses scottish slang, but I thought it wasn't a big deal, rather I was (am) interested in learning about it
>Started reading the first pages
>Well, shit

Any advice /lit/? Be gentle pls.
(Maybe I should give up and buy the Anagrama translation, even though is more expensive).
>>
I highly doubt youll be able to find a good translation of Scottish phonetic dialogue and slang, OP, and if you do it'll probably miss out on a lot of the bantz
>>
>>7714770
filth was my first welsh too, the first 50 pages or so took me ages to read as i was slowly getting used to the slang, but once you've come across the same slang a couple times it's easily remembered, and a lot of it's repeated throughout so there isn't a great deal to get used to.

keep on going OP, the scottish slang is what makes his writing humorous and the payoff is well worth it. (the book is also fantastic)
>>
>>7714770
I'll bet Welsh is no Parson Evans.
>>
>>7714770
Ey radge. Ya ken ya goat tae start oaf wi trainspottin tae git doon the dialect. Is goat ay glossary. And tae not read like ay wee bairn.
>>
>>7715678
hahaha
well done
anyway OP, just keep going, you get it eventually
it's like travelling to scotland, it'll take you a few days to understand people
>>
>>7715678
As you can see here, Scots is definitely a separate language and not an alternative spelling system of phonetics for a dialect. When will the Sassanach oppression end?
t. Scottish Parliament
it's also very important we cater to the 0 native gaelic speakers of our great nation
>>
English isn't my first language either, but I just got used to it after a bit and started to actively enjoy it.

I prefer the Renton trilogy by the way, but Glue was great as well.
>>
>>7715678
and people think Scotland isn't full of cave people kek
>>
>>7714770
I am scottish OP, I can help you.
>>
>>7717406
Can you deep fry a mars bar for me?
>>
>>7717477
I can but you would regret it
>>
>>7717490
I wouldn't eat it, I just want you to do manual labor for free.
>>
>>7717546
No chance laddy, I couldn't make it anyways because it's not halal
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.