[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which pilgrim's tale was the best?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: hyperion.jpg (204 KB, 289x475) Image search: [Google]
hyperion.jpg
204 KB, 289x475
Which pilgrim's tale was the best?
>>
>>7714597
Priest's Tale. That and the Scholar's Tale were the only really good ones. That means half the book was sht and wasted potential.
>>
The cyborg love story
>>
>>7714832
It had the workings of two good stories, but it felt like a weird blending of genres.
>>
>>7714597

Martin's is pretty quotable and my favourite tied with The Scholar and Kassad's.

>You will never fuck the Shrike
>>
>>7714853
Martin was the worst character!
>>
>>7714597
>GOD TEIR:
>Father Hoyt
>Brawne Lamia
>GOOD TEIR:
>Fedmahn Kassad
>Martin Silenus
>Sol Weintraub
>LITERALLY WHY SIMMONS TIER
>The consul
>>
>>7714859
I wouldn't say worst, but definitely the least likable.
>>
>>7714865
I still consider him the worst, but maybe that's because I knew of sf characters from other books who were either smarter (incl in linguistics), more sardonic, or more of an asshole. And its not the funny asshole vibe that makes me despise him because I enjoy those sort of characters, it was his mixture of character traits that makes me think he's completely redundant as an entity.
>>
Probably brawne lamias.
Just finished rise of endymion, a good series all in all although i didnt give two shits about Ania.
>>
>>7714861
Came here to post something like this
>>
Undisputed best order coming through.

>Priest
>Scholar
>Detective
>Poet
>Consul
>Soldier
>>
See ya later alligator.
>>
>>7715041
Is Endymion worth reading? I got hit with a ton of work and had to put it down.
>>
>>7715573
>Implying Kassad isn't your husbando.
>>
This book made me stop reading sf novels for a long time desu
It's awfujl imho senpaitachi
>>
>>7715573
First half of soldier was good but it got jarring toward the end, and I don't mean the fucking the shrike thing, just the storytelling's turns.

I'd place the soldier under the detective, everything else seems fine.

>>7715861
inorite, and yet the goodread fags just seem to gobble it up.
>>
File: 1375333389732-1.jpg (23 KB, 495x383) Image search: [Google]
1375333389732-1.jpg
23 KB, 495x383
>>7714607
>That means half the book was sht and wasted potential.
>>7715861
>>
>>7715861
R E T A R D
E
T
A
R
D
>>
The Consul's story was the best.
I have in my mind images of Maui Covenant remain so vividly, its heavenly gravity, swimming with the dolphins, talking to them, Siri...
>>
>>7716342
If I wanted pure blissful escapism, I'd read fantasy or religion.
>>
Shrike. Best villain ever?
So haunting.
>>
>>7716379
The character design is at the top of the list, and I don't think the shrike even has a sum paragraph of dialogue. Definitely one of the most terrifying and mysterious.
>>
>>7716395
I never however figured out what those labyrinths are, did I miss something?
>>
>>7716444
It's explained in the second book. I don't want to spoil things for you, even though I have no love for Simmons.
>>
>>7716342
>the part where he talks to the dolphins.

I just couldn't get into it. It felt like Avatar the book.
>>
>>7716444
if i recall correctly they were build by whothefuckknows long time ago and SPOILERS: were used by the IA to store the cross things.
>>
Man, what i liked the most of these books was the maximu comfy levels you could acquire from the landscapes.

>dat trip on a boat through the grass sea.
>dat tree-spaceship.
>dat piano playing alone in your spaceship terrace while a storm is coming in an empty planet.
>dat inverted nepal temple.
>The time tombs.
>dat poets deserted town.
>5 stars hotel in the top of big ass trees.
>>
What makes everyone hate the consul's story? I found his to be one of the more interesting ones.
>>
>>7715833
I think so. It ties the whole ai core story together pretty well. It's a more straight forward adventure and has some great set pieces.
>>
>>7716944
Maybe because it's too schlubby dubby, and it doesnt really connect to the rest of the plot, except introducing the hawking mat.

Also Nemes was a great villian
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.