[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm finally breaking down and buying a kindle. Which one
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: kindle.png (33 KB, 690x658) Image search: [Google]
kindle.png
33 KB, 690x658
I'm finally breaking down and buying a kindle.
Which one should I get?
>>
paper white obviously
>>
>>7714429
a Kobo.
>>
>>7714436

But the paperwhite with 3G is 190 bux :(
>>
>>7714452
$119*
its almost as if youre saving money now anon
>>
>>7714452
Thats the voyage.

Get a paperwhite or a used kindle, the older ones are really well made.
>>
File: kikes.png (104 KB, 1005x602) Image search: [Google]
kikes.png
104 KB, 1005x602
>>7714468
>>7714461

S119 base
$190 for 3G model
$210 for ad-free 3G model
>>
>>7714476
Ive never even heard of that, the voyage costs that much tho.

You will never go online with your kindle tho, so get the bare bones. Its browser functionality is shit, and you will be sideloading pirated stuff via usb.
>>
>>7714429
Regular one, you never need to be online to read
>>
>>7714476
you don't need 3G
>>
cant u just install another os on those things?
>>
>>7714429
Paperwhite. Well worth the extra cash. You really don't need the 3G addin and if you yell confusedly at customer support, they remove ads. Worked well for me.
>>
>>7714476
Why do you want 3G? You can store hundreds of books. You don't need that shit, you just want it. Don't ask stupid questions like this.
>>
Surprised you guys don't go online. I really like the Wikipedia lookup feature and it's a huge help for reference heavy books.

But I agree you don't need 3G for it. Just read at home, libraries, or cafes and you should get wifi wherever.
>>
I couldn't recommend the paperwhite more. Read it in bed without having to use a lamp. FWIW, I bought mine used and it happens to have 3g and wifi, but i never use either.
>>
>>7714727
>>7714729
Wait i lied. I do use the wikipedia option a lot. That is very useful.
>>
>>7714480
Wi-Fi is good for stealing books off of Amazon. Great trick, free books.

Don't do it too much, though, don't want them to catch on.
>>
>>7714738
Why would you do that?
You can just pirate all your ebooks, there's no point in even enabling the store
>>
>>7714793
Sometimes the books aren't on the trackers, sometimes there's a bounty for the book.
>>
Do none of you guys use exclusively pdfs?

Where do you get the /good/ books in kindle format?
>>
>>7714476
3G is possibly the most pointless thing you can add to a kindle, i paid for mine to not have the sponsored lockscreen but as other anons have said you can ring up amazon and bark at them to remove them.

>>7715146
pdfs are shit on kindles, download epub files (or mobi, but epubs are more easily found) load in calibre & convert to mobi before sending to kindle. i used bookzz.org or golibgen.io to get books, between them they usually have a copy of the book in the right format.

the only issue i have with kindles is that i struggle to read them wearing glasses due to the glare off the lenses, so the sharpness of the text is practically the same as it is when i'm not wearing glasses. i'm short sighted, have any anons experienced the same problem or have managed to find a solution? i still read a lot on kindle, but the text being blurred still is really distracting.
>>
>>7715460
>the only issue i have with kindles is that i struggle to read them wearing glasses due to the glare off the lenses,

Have you tried turning down the light? I'm wearing glasses too and haven't experienced this
>>
i feel dirty when i have to read an essay for class on my phone because i got too drunk to read it the night before

why the fuck would you want a kindle? are you trying to fit as many self-published amazon literotica/sci-fi "books" up your ass as digitally as you can?
>>
>>7715470
i always have it on a super low setting anyway, but i might try just having the backlight off altogether and see if it helps. i always mess around with the fonts but none of them seem to really ease the problem.

>>7715486
>implying you have to buy ebooks from amazon
you can get pretty much any book for free on kindle for the upfront cost of the device.
>>
>>7715612
>you can get pretty much any book for free on kindle for the upfront cost of the device.

I wish. I still have to buy a lot of stuff. It can be hard finding a specific edition/translation, not to mention that there are still so many books not converted to an ebook format by publishers (and people only scan it themselves if it's in popular demand, which isn't the cases for most classics).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.