[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are /lit/'s thoughts on Atlas Shrugged?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: 662.jpg (185 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
662.jpg
185 KB, 299x475
What are /lit/'s thoughts on Atlas Shrugged?
>>
There are like 5 threads a day on this.
>>
>>7713880
Well, the title is good. That's about it.
>>
edgy libertarian nonsense/10
>>
Dunno, I've never read it. Tried reading The Fountainhead a few years ago, but I was a shitter back then and got bored less than a hundred pages in. I'm starting college this year, so I guess it's the perfect time for me to get into Rand, eh? Just because I'm reading about an idea doesn't mean I agree with it. I'm not gonna go and become a communist or something
>>
You know this isn't as good of a way to troll /lit/ as the memes say, right?
>>
>>7714027
>communist

That's literally the opposite of Rand's beliefs, you realise? Like 100% exact opposite.
>>
>>7714054
Oh, no, I didn't realize that. That sounds cool but I can see how people could look at that as juvenile and stupid
>>
Long and dumb. If you're compelled to read Rand do The Fountainhead but i wouldn't really recommend that either.
>>
>>7714060
Atlas Shrugged IS juvenile and stupid, anon. It's literally the anarcho-capitalist equivalent of the Communist Manifesto, loosely set to a plot. That's what Atlas Shrugged is, conceptually.
Twelve year old and /pol/-type people eat it up because they're juvenile and stupid, just like the book.
>>
>>7714027
You sound like someone enlightened by his own intelligence.
>>
>>7714060
She was also a massive hypocrite who lived on welfare and government medical plans when she was old and sick.

The Simpsons version of The Fountainhead starring Maggie is actually less childish than Rand's writing.
>>
>>7714067
You don't.
>>
>>7713880
to criticize atlas shrugged puts you dangerously close to taking it seriously.
>>
>>7714348
cold as ice
>>
Why does Atlas shrug? He literally has one jiob. He can't handle that? We'll pay Mexicans to hokd us. Hold up another planet, Atlas-hole.
>>
>>7713880
Great book. Just don't take it as serious political philosophy.
>>
>>7714368
Atlas doesn't hold the earth, he holds up the sky. Someone really fucked that up.
>>
>>7713880
Tried reading it after someone said how great it is. 300 pages in, laws of physics were violated, the female lead fucked every emotionless man in the book and I kind of lost interest.
>>
>>7714378
Noted and grateful for a new bit of pedanticissm
>>
>>7714392
You're welcome! And no offense but what's with all the typos?
>>
I'm on a phone on a moving train . sorry, I guess.
>>
File: AtlastShrugged.jpg (71 KB, 299x475) Image search: [Google]
AtlastShrugged.jpg
71 KB, 299x475
Why are people obsessed with Ayn Rand?
>>
>>7714063
Moocher detected
>>
It's morally abhorrent from my Judeo-Christian perspective, but I if I was an atheist I'd be an objectivist. It's the most rational system of living if you believe you're a chemical flesh bag in a meaningless dog-eat-dog world hurtling through the void. KILL THE MOOCHERS!

Don't really kill them though, feed and clothe them and love them as you love yourself :^)
>>
The Fountainhead was literally the worst book I've ever read.

Rand has no idea how to analyze philosophy or social theory, organize a story, create interesting or believable characters, or construct prose.

I read it in high school for some contest that Rand's modern cult was hosting, but I was so disgusted by how stupid and childish her reasoning was that I never bothered to write an essay.

If you want a preview of the vapid, tiresome garbage you're going to get out of her longer works, just read that small novella of hers about some society with no singular pronouns where some guy invents a lightbulb.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.