[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Today my professor told the class that the Chief in The Laughing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
Today my professor told the class that the Chief in The Laughing Man is black. This struck me as odd because I'm a careful reader and no part of the story ever implied that he was anything besides an upper-class WASP. unless I missed something. I wouldn't really mind, but he went on to claim that the Laughing Man's physical deformity was paralleled with the Chief being a black man in the early 20th century. This is completely incongruous with my understanding of the story, so please tell me I'm not crazy
>>
Why don't you ask your professor to explain his statement instead of asking us?
>>
>>7712901
WE
>>
File: Aramaki9.jpg (47 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
Aramaki9.jpg
47 KB, 853x480
Chief Aramaki is clearly an elderly Japanese man. It's just the lighting that makes him appear mulatto.
>>
>>7712912
>literally called "The old ape" by his team

He's negro brah
>>
What fucking well to do white family would allow a 20 something negro to drive their children to a secluded area for "sports"?
>>
1. The "Chief" is the leader of the "Comanche" Club. Clearly not a Native American reference at all.

2. The story of the Laughing Man changes relative to his relationship with Mary Hudson. Pretty sure Mary gets pregnant and the Chief feels his life is over, thus killing the Laughing Man.

3. Story takes place in 1928. The Chief is a law student at NYU. Segregation didn't end until the 50's.

4. Roland Barthes' Death of the Author.
>>
File: manwholaughs.jpg (31 KB, 564x714) Image search: [Google]
manwholaughs.jpg
31 KB, 564x714
5. The Laughing Man is based on Hugo's novel The Man Who Laughs (the film adaptation of which inspired the look of the Joker).
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.