[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LIBERALS LOL
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 28
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2001070129/the-new-walden
>>
>A newly edited, hardcover adaptation of Thoreau's masterpiece. Neither abridged nor dumbed down.
>>
walden is a shitty book. it doesn't even deserve this treatment tbqh
>>
>updating and simplifying a book that is already written in modern English

Jesus Christ
>>
Times sure have changed. We now censor ideas and "offensive" language in the name of human sensitivity, rather than God.
>>
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lightspeedmagazine/people-of-colour-destroy-science-fiction

Top kek. I can't tell if the project video is meant to be satire or not.
>>
>>7712634
Its satire, they put out a magazine edited and written completely by x minority group.
>>
>Liberals so assmad they sage threads about themselves
>>
>>7712628
America is the land of puritan zealotry. Everyone's out to purify their little corner of the world, as it's the only way their slave ethics allow them to assert themselves.
>>
>>7712605
only the shittiest of books 'deserves' this treatment
>>
>>7712721
>America
You realize this kind of shit is worse in most of Western Europe? It's not about a historical puritanism, only dunces speak that way.
>>
>>7712721
>slave ethics

the memes are too strong with this one
>>
File: 1450034554015.jpg (12 KB, 403x360) Image search: [Google]
1450034554015.jpg
12 KB, 403x360
>/lit/ supports Cultural Marxism
>"W-What's the worse that can happen?"
>>
>176 backers
>$10,396 pledged

WTF??? It's one thing for an individual to get this idea, there will always be utter weirdos of all factions, but so many people giving so much money???

I'm pretty pro identity politics -- like to the degree that I avoid using 'retarded' as a slur even on 4chan -- but this just boggles my mind.
>>
The back of the book is the gayest thing I've ever seen. Is this a piece of classic literature or a fucking Apple product?
>>
>>7712578
>During Thoreau's day, it was commonplace for writers to use the word "men" when referring to humanity as a whole. The frequent reference to men – when he really means people – in the original text might be jarring for some readers. So wherever it makes sense, I've used "people" in place of "men," "their dreams" vs. "his dreams," and so on.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA YOU LITERALLY CANNOT MAKE UP LIBERAL KEKOLDS
>>
>>7712757
>I'm pretty pro identity politics

why?
>>
>>7712785
>not 'his/her/xir/additional options dreams'

guess we'll just have to fund another one after to clean it up completely
>>
>>7712807
because im transitioning?
>>
>>7712825
fuck off with your bullshit made up terms faggot
>>
>>7712736

>You realize this kind of shit is worse in most of Western Europe?

lol nope
>>
>>7712578
I need a stupid idea to make money in Kickstarter
>>
>>7712885
http://www.thenewamerican.com/world-news/europe/item/18148-hate-speech-u-k-political-leader-arrested-for-quoting-winston-churchill
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/germany-springs-to-action-over-hate-speech-against-migrants/2016/01/06/6031218e-b315-11e5-8abc-d09392edc612_story.html
http://fusion.net/story/38457/how-france-went-from-free-speech-rallies-to-54-hate-speech-arrests-in-one-week/
http://www.christianheadlines.com/columnists/al-mohler/criminalizing-christianity-swedens-hate-speech-law-1277601.html

Why do you pretend?
>>
>>7712825
>tfw you're not the only trans in /lit/
Please, tell me you don't visit /mtfg/ and you don't have a trip.
>>
>tfw deep down you know this will be the rule in a couple of years
>tfw poor old Nietzsche will get bashed by this kind of initiatives
This is like the 4kidz of books.
>>
>>7712767
god, that's the cherry on the cake
>>
>>7712825
>because i'm a retarded faggot in a dress

figures
>>
>>7712785
i thought man still was used when talking about people in general, like in "mankind". it still is in norwegian, atleast
>>
fucking leftists. I swear
>>
Everyone reading this is indirectly supporting this garbage when they support left-wing hall monitor bullshit like hate speech laws and moral relativism. This is the natural result and it will only get worse.
>>
>>7712979
>these sketchy ass "news" sites
>"christian headlines", "the new american"

Wew lad
>>
File: shaqpanda.jpg (131 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
shaqpanda.jpg
131 KB, 500x496
>>7712736
>only dunces think that puritanism had a huge impact on New England intellectuals and spread into the revivals that made the south and midwest the fundamentalist strongholds they are today
Didn't know "dunce" meant, "historically literate."

>>7712745
Resentment, whatever you call it that low-class people do to feel better about their powerlessness.
>>
>>7713195
left-wingers are offended by everything
>>
>didn't even get rid of the male pronoun in the last two sentences
>>
>>7712825
lmfao kill yourself desu-fampai
>>
>>7712825
Transitioning from what to what? From work to home?
>>
>>7713300
>not transitioning from being a faggot to being an even larger faggot with makeup
>shiggydiggy.jpg
>>
File: 1355065448841.jpg (17 KB, 394x297) Image search: [Google]
1355065448841.jpg
17 KB, 394x297
>mfw in Italy we got a new translation of The Catcher in Rye with the slang adaptated to modern days
>>
>>7713195
>not using ad-block
>>
>>7712807
I'm the person you were replying to, >>7712825 is not.
>why?
To be honest I don't really know why I said I'm 'pro identity politics' when I wouldn't even be able to define that term if asked. But I guess I tend to agree with the stuff that gets called identity politics here. You'd have to bring up a specific example for me to say why I'd be for it, if I would be.
>>
>>7713312
What's "phony" in bipedibapi?
>>
>>7713349
What's bipedibapi? Italian?
Don't remember, can't check now. Didn't even know it was his catchphrase before reading about it in English.
I like when he says "kills me", I do that a lot too.
>>
File: goony beardman.jpg (14 KB, 160x160) Image search: [Google]
goony beardman.jpg
14 KB, 160x160
>>
File: 568fbfa3.jpg (12 KB, 215x157) Image search: [Google]
568fbfa3.jpg
12 KB, 215x157
>>7712984
I'm here too...
>>
He wants $104k to edit a book?
>>
Boycott this shit. make sure it never gets passed.

Reminds me of with Huck Finn, replacing "nigger" with "slave". What the fuck? Jim is a nigger, and he's trying to run away from slavery. From being property. When you call him "slave" at every time, you make it that he is a slave and always was and is property. And that's just accidentally ironic because the people who destroy literature like that are absolute idiots.

Fuck these idiots. They don't even understand the literature they claim to love.
>>
>>7712757
that's retarded
>>
>>7713664
Wow, clever.
>>
File: 1455292344674.jpg (501 KB, 1600x1375) Image search: [Google]
1455292344674.jpg
501 KB, 1600x1375
>>7713316
why not use retarded?
>>
File: 1455400650343.jpg (27 KB, 600x440) Image search: [Google]
1455400650343.jpg
27 KB, 600x440
>>7713221
We're not talking about the south and midwest, we're talking about leftists rewriting classic lit to erase terms like 'men' as 'humans'. You can play house and dress-up like a wannabe-Zizek pseud pop-historian who argues that puritan ideals have mutated into what we can now recognize as popular left-wing totalitarianism but real will recognize real.
>>
>>7712578
>$10,750 pledged of $104,000 goal

I'm not sure which one infuriates me more
>>
File: kant trigger warning.jpg (90 KB, 480x320) Image search: [Google]
kant trigger warning.jpg
90 KB, 480x320
>>7712578
>replaces "Chinese" with "people in [the] wild"

Jesus Christ

This is all over academia too, my Kant prof has this posted on his office door and constantly refers to it when he digresses into facetious quips about the current state of his line of work. It seems like a lot of my upper level professors have contempt for the whole social justice movement which is nice to see.
>>
>>7712596
regardless of the political correctness wackiness in the first example,
down the page at the Marginalia they are literally doing nothing other than simplifying and dumbing down his work:
Before
>It is said that Deucalion and Pyrrha created men by throwing stones over their heads behind them:-Inde genus durum sumus, experiensque laborum, Et documenta damus qua simus origine nati.

After
>In ancient Greek mythology, the ancestors of the Hellenic race were advised by a seer to create people by throwing stones over their heads behind them.
>>
>>7712578
>"we're not dumbing it down"
>proceeds to translate latin poetry, not even back into english verse, but into shitty prose that doesn't even pretend to tell you anything about the rich mythological tradition it's referencing

This is a special kind of bold and virulent autism
>>
File: 292.jpg (51 KB, 634x344) Image search: [Google]
292.jpg
51 KB, 634x344
>>7713371
>>
>>7714213
lmao

honey, we need to talk about kant
>>
>>7713429
would you sanitize your favorite work of literature for a hundred thousand dollars?
>>
>>7712578
THEYRE DOING WHAT TO MY LOVE?
DO NOT TOUCH THE MASTERS. I WILL TRANSCEND THEIR FUCKING CHEST CAVITIES WITH PHENOMENOLOGICAL BULLETS. OR JUST REAL ONES.

To do this to any text is pure folly, to touch Walden is sacrilege in my eyes.
>>
>>7713388
>trans
>likes Xiu Xiu
yikes
>>
We should make a copy of Nineteen Eighty-Four rewritten completely in newsspeak, then crowdfund for $100,000 and say it is unabridged
>>
>>7713651
The worst part was that the use of nigger was pretty fucking vital for the messages of the book; it shows the attitude towards blacks at the tine and how Huck may have heard the word but not realized the dehumanizing implications of it when referring to Jim.
>>
Wasnt there Government branch that did exactly this 24/7 in 1984.
>>
File: Hannity-Football.jpg (20 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Hannity-Football.jpg
20 KB, 320x240
>>7712578
disgusting
>>
>>7714033
Not to use a group of people as an insult.
>>
>>7714272
Yes, the ministry of truth is going to exist soon IRL too. The US government has started to keep a meme database so they can 'refute' 'disinformation' 'memes'

ostensibly it's targeted at Islamists but you know the government has openly said it considers American patriots, militiamen and other right wing groups more dangerous than Islamist terrorists.
>>
>>7714306
*Not nice
>>
when did it change from

>"i don't know this so i should learn it"

to

>"i don't know this so please fix it"
>>
>>7712628
society don't need no god

women don't need no men

minorities don't need no whites

they strong

but also they need protecting from meanie bad bads so please change everything so as to not make them faint or weep or 'trigger'
>>
>>7713001

It's more like the Kidz Bop of books.
>>
I can't wait until they tackle his true masterpiece, Civil Disobedience.
>>
Also, how ironic is it that this project is called "The New Walden" while BF Skinner's Walden Two exists ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walden_Two
>>
>>7712578
>compares Beowulf to a novel written in modern english just 200 or so years ago
what a fag and a retard
>>
>>7712807
Not him, but a person ought to have the right to put whatever chemicals they choose into their bodies, regardless of effects on health and thoughts. If they choose to think of themselves as female/male, then it's polite to refer to them as such; just like it's polite not to mention physical deformities (AFS, ugliness, wrong number of toes, ext) or mental deformities. (Autism, Dissociative Gender Disorder, HPD, ext)
>>
>>7714428
If a person insists they are a dog and you should refer to them as 'here boy!' would you do it out of politeness?

What if you were doing a survey and an ethnically Japanese man insists he is of immediate African descent, what do you write down?
>>
>>7714466
For the first example, if I thought they were serious, yes I'd refer to them as a dog. It's polite, and it costs me nothing.

For the second, no. Being polite isn't a priority when it comes to science. Accuracy is important academically, socially though, anything goes.
>>
>>7714266
under8ed post
>>
>This version will be neither abridged nor dumbed down.
i just dont get it
>>
>>7712634
He mentioned Delaney as a colored alternative to Asimov. Someone post that Hogg excerpt.
>>
>>7714518
>socially though, anything goes

point deer, make horse

leftism will eat itself
>>
>>7712622
But, like, the modern reader--i.e. the hipster doing the Kickstarter--might not get some of the language used. The modern reader--i.e. the male feminist beta doing the Kickstarter--just doesn't understand Latin. The modern reader--i.e. the nu-male likely to get convinced to enter into an open relationship who's running the Kickstarter--just might be confused and possibly upset by gendered language.

I'm glad someone is finally making a version that will speak to the modern reader such as the guy running the Kickstarter who is likely to convince himself that he is bisexual when no woman touches him but will never know a man's touch either because he's not actually bi.
>>
>>7712578
Awful idea. Just use fucking footnotes.

This revision actually hampers the educational quality of the book.
>>
>>7714213
That kind of warning is absolutely reasonable
>>
>>7712750
Isthat from one of the Master & Margarita adaptions?
>>
America died with Scalia
>>
File: no.png (302 KB, 600x435) Image search: [Google]
no.png
302 KB, 600x435
>>7714428
So silly, do you have no standards of judgement for anyone or how people ought to act in a society? Substances have severe consequences that undermine judgement of the individual and likely harm the community. This assumes people have an exact understanding of what the chemicals will do to them. Most often people underestimate the power drugs will have over them, and yet you give them a nod as if they are agents of their own destiny.
C A K E B O I I
A
K
E
B
O
I
I
>>
>>7712750
>>/lit/ supports Cultural Marxism
wwhat?
>>
>>7714679
I honestly can't tell if troll. 9/10
>>
one of the most psuedo-intellectual things I've ever seen in my life.
>>
i want to buy one and burn it on cam

but in a year and a half (JK it's kickstarter, more like 3 years or maybe NEVER) the story will have died and nobody will care
>>
File: Disdain.jpg (7 KB, 224x225) Image search: [Google]
Disdain.jpg
7 KB, 224x225
>>7712578

Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>7714518

You're actually retarded if you see no problem with calling a dog a dude that identifies as a dog.

Are you honestly so intellectually incompetent that you do not see the obvious fucking consequences this would have? What the fuck are you doing on /lit/?

It doesn't cost you anything? It's a blatant fucking lie you fucking idiot! It costs you your fucking rationality
>>
>>7714642
I should bring you out to the farm someday, your straw men would scare even the ballsiest crows
>>
File: image.jpg (33 KB, 620x620) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33 KB, 620x620
>...
>>
>>7714213
Anybody worth their salt in the field looks down on it. The whole over-reacting SJW shit is something lesser "academics" do so they can have some kind of niche.
>>
>>7712868
all terms are made up
>>
So when do we rise up, put these horrible beasts down, and make America safe for truth and liberty for another few decades?

It's time for another Hard Hat Riot, this time in academia.
>>
>>7712808

Or you could just, you know, buy the original version of Walden.

Since that'll still exist even in the chance that this project gets funded.

Since that's how things actually work in reality. I'm a fuckin' liberal who believes in empathy and recognizing the humanity of others and all that kind of Ess Jay Dubya bullshit, and even I know that the existence of a "new adaptation" of Walden won't erase the original out of existence.
>>
>>7714920
>It costs you your fucking rationality
No, not exactly. You're just referring to something by something other than its literal name.
>>
>>7715045
>You're just referring to something by something other than its literal name.

correct, you're referring to something by something that it is explicitly not

point deer make horse

https://bloodyshovel.wordpress.com/2015/06/03/the-purpose-of-absurdity/
>>
>>7713195
>Hate speech being illegal

Someone isn't from the best country in the world. In the US hate speech itself is protected speech, and is only a crime if it is an immediate incitement of violence. God I love this country.
>>
i think burning books is a more benevolent fate than this.
>>
This is an epic OWNED for everyone, calling mods to the sjws
>>
>>7714213
What is it in the critiques that may offend SJWs? (that is, the SJWs who aren't offended by everything)
>>
>>7715035

I shouldn't have to pick the right english translation of a book written in english just because some retarded faggot got triggered
>>
>>7712578
Real life Newspeak in action. Eventually Super-Liberals will change "Most people, through mere ignorance and error," into "Most sentient beings through mere circumstance and oppression." Its gonna be like reading a book that makes you feel like everything else is to blame for your problems.
>>
>>7712578
Whats with changing "actually" to "in truth"?
>>
>>7715242

Again: it's not like the original is going to go away, and even if you're given the choice, it's not as if you'll be forced to read the "new" version, or that the "new" version won't be clearly labelled so you can't tell it apart from the original. Nobody will ever force you to read the "new" version, either.

Seriously, contain the calamity within your mammaries.
>>
>>7715300
its more about the fact that the newer generation who hasn't read this book will read that version thinking its the actual text. Its like a gateway into altering Authors works to fit your agenda.
>>
>>7715306

>its more about the fact that the newer generation who hasn't read this book will read that version thinking its the actual text.

Except the "new" version will likely have clear labels and a foreword explaining that it isn't the actual text. And again, the old version will still exist and still be published even if the "new" version is funded and released.
>>
>>7712578
>the evolution of language over the past two centuries has made it harder for modern readers to get into the text.
Stopped reading there. Git gud, scrub.
>>
>>7714920
Not the guy, but have you not interacted with mentaly ill people before? That is exactly what you do, you go along. Do you harass autists aswell since they are not as coherent as you? Trans people are literally mentally ill, give them some slack.
>>
>>7714642
Cool that you dislike some guy you know, bro. But actually, the problem is black people.

(Maybe you two should fuck? It would ease the tension.)
>>
>>7715317
>They don't find pleasure in learning speech forms that have fallen in disuse.
These tolerant folks sure seem against expanding their worlds.
>>
>>7715309
This version could go on to become the standard in university readings because liberal teachers love to abuse their power in ahistorical ways
>>
>>7715321
I agree with this, we should always be understanding of mental illness and in personal cases its always best to humour than antagonise because they can't help it. However, we should be wary we don't legitimise mental illness in society,
>>
>>7714306
You call mentally disabled people retards?
>>
>>7714428
This is wrong. Take for example people without legs or arms, they don't want you to not mention it and fake they're good.
Only retards think that behaviour is ok.
>>
>>7715321
There are different kinds of mental illness, the ones who cannot understand reality and the ones who can.
>>
>>7715045
How's your comprehension, buddy? I would have it checked if I were you.
>>
>>7715457

And the original would still be available. Calm your tits the fuck down.
>>
Mein gott why not make more idiotic comparisons itt
The spooks of some ppl baka rme
>>
File: download.jpg (5 KB, 249x144) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
5 KB, 249x144
Fucking librals.
I'm gonna call a spade a spade huah
>>
>>7714215

This part is inexcusable. Not only does it devalue Thoreau's work it devalues Ovid as well.

And I like how they changed "the sun arose" to the "As the sun rose." What the fuck did you even change. What was the fucking point of that edit.
>>
>>7714428
>things that doesn't effect me immediately is unimportant
>"like, we should just be like, free to do whatever maaan"

are you in high school?
>>
>>7715930
untalented hack
>>
>>7715071
much like how a quick death is preferable to being forcefully amputated but still alive
>>
>>7715943
too close to "arouse" which might've made some poor womyn think of an erect penis
>>
>>7716003
are you meeeeming or was that the actual reason
I can't even tell any more
>>
>>7712825
wew
>>
>>7715987
Yeah he's usually seen as edgy like most ppl on 4chan, that's why I posted him
>>
>>7713316
>I guess I tend to agree with the stuff that gets called identity politics here
retard
>>
File: mfw.jpg (32 KB, 278x321) Image search: [Google]
mfw.jpg
32 KB, 278x321
>>7714213
>Parents might wish to discuss with their children how views on race, gender, sexuality, ethnicity, and interpersonal relations have changed since this book was written before allowing them to read Kant's Critiques.
>>
If black people are now called people of colour

then how come you're not allowed to say coloured people?
>>
Conrad's The Person Of Color Of Narcissus when????
>>
>>7715195
It's just a generic warning that the publisher puts on old texts. They did the same thing to their edition of the US Constitution, as Fox breathlessly reported a few years back. It's really a non-issue... it just seems very out of place when applied to Kant's Critiques. Same warning on Huck Finn or Naked Lunch has a different meaning. Reminds me also of how Canadian press shat itself a coupld years back because some cheapo print-on-demand publisher did an edition of Anne of Green Gables and used a picture of a busty blonde semen demon on the cover.
>>
>>7716767

>>7714015
>>
>>7717120
back in the kitchen, woman
>>
well this thread triggered me, between doofus editing the book and people shitting all over walden because they don't know how to read

reee and so forth
>>
"hey guys i'm some dude from the internet and I'm going to write a new edition of Waldn"

FUCK ME, fuck this fucking century, and all millenials are going to hell, god DAMMIT AHH.

>I took the Latin out

Did you read the fucking chapter where he writes about how necessary it is to read classics in their original language you fucking pleb? Kill yourself god dammit.

"I turned the long, complex sentences into little bullet points so we tiny-headed folks can understand them without going to spark notes now"

AHHHH
>>
>>7717156
I have a one room apartment; I'm always in the kitchen. Also:
>it's funny because it's been said so many times before! XD
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>7717240
>I have a one room apartment; I'm always in the kitchen.
You got me there.
>>
File: xfd.png (42 KB, 651x185) Image search: [Google]
xfd.png
42 KB, 651x185
how you want your racism desu senpai
>>
>>7717401

Half the reason Thoreau is so charming and fun (and also annoying) are these many-clause sentences. Our "editor" has decided it's best to give each one an independent sentence, and remind the (dumb modern) reader what the subject is so he doesn't get distracted or confused and post Thoreau quotes on Facebook instead.
>>
I hope this doesn't become a trend. It's disgusting. Neuters the writer, shits on his ideas. Id rather people not read Walden at all than read it in this "form".
>>
>>7717456

The thing that's so outrageous about this particular example is that Thoreau himself explicitly defends reading Homer in the Greek, to such an extent that he says something along the lines of ~he who has not read Homer in Greek has not read him at all~.

The chapter "Reading" is an argument for classical, deep and careful learning. It's absolutely obvious from the themes in this chapter that Thoreau would totally oppose this sort of thing. And the idea that "English has evolved" (since the mid 19th century?!?!??!!!) to the point where an edit like this needs to be made is infuriating. All that's happened is that people have become dumber and lazier.
>>
>>7717472
I would understand an adaption of the Canterbury Tales, because that is reasonable. But it's just cultivating laziness, ignorance and fearfulness to do this.
>>
>>7717500

I agree. This fuckwit says he "Read Thoreau in 2014 and it changed my life." No other qualifications apparently.

I'm guessing the "I have a Kickstarter for my edition of Walden" line goes really well with the stupid hipster beard at a Brooklyn wine and cheese tasting.

I'm debating on whether I should write an angry email or just leave it alone.
>>
>>7717528
Do it. Be polite, though. Don't call him the hispter fag he so obviously is. He won't reply if your do. Post the reply if you get one, though.
>>
>>7715064
which is very common numbnut
>>
>>7715306
>t the newer generation who hasn't read this book will read that version thinking its the actual text.
very very unlikely
>>7715317
it's extremely silly, yes, but he said something about 'quickening the revision process' i.e. this is just a money-grabbing fuck move for a down-on-his-luck designer.
>>
>>7715468
>>7715321
>implying mental illness is even part of the ontological real
>>
>>7716957
>-ed
>>
>Neither abridged nor dumbed down
>literally both abridged and dumbed down
>>
>>7717618
Shhh anon, swallow the doublethink
>>
>>7714571
>IN ANCIENT GREEK MYTHOLOGY
>>
>>7714641
>>7715064
interesting. point taken, carry on.
>>
>>7712757
Gay.
>>
>>7712750
What the fuck is that, even? I don't even want to know what the opposite of that would be.
>>
>I’m a designer who writes, father of three, husband of one, follower of Christ. The North Atlantic is my Walden Pond.

Fucking christians.
>>
>>7716017
"The sun arose" has an enormous associative meaning that develops in the writing, changing the focus with "As the sun rose" is an insult. I'd give it a comical reason too given how shitty of a change that is.
>>
File: 52844463.jpg (4 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
52844463.jpg
4 KB, 250x241
>>7712825
>>
>but it has been said that the book's readership is declining. I'd like to change that.

>so here's a fucking expensive hardcover
>>
>Neither abridged nor dumbed down.

>'Beautiful imagery notwithstanding, sentences that clock in at 482 characters are pretty hard for modern readers to digest. When carved up into three sentences, this passage can be absorbed in a single read. And while conventicle is a cool word, “some secret meeting concealed by the shadows of night” does the job with less obscurity.'

>Neither abridged nor dumbed down.
>>
>>7715289
Ignorant people don't know how words work.
>>
>>7715309
Except the website already explicitly lies and states "neither abridged nor dumbdowned" which, to a young reader--or ignorant person trying to educate themselves--could sound an awful lot like "unchanged".
>>
File: what.png (112 KB, 657x366) Image search: [Google]
what.png
112 KB, 657x366
I would be furious if someone do this to my native language.
>>
File: 1439720576990.jpg (107 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
1439720576990.jpg
107 KB, 576x1024
>>7720456
You know what is the most hilarious thing about it all? These are the same modern-left fuckwits that are supposedly against modern society turning 1984-esque, and blame such changes on the conservative right, but then they go ahead and do hypocritical shit like re-writing history and censoring dead authors. What the fuck is wrong with these people, how can anyone be so unconsciously evil?
>>
>>7720650
You're really projecting there bud
>>
Just wanted to let you guys in on the "question" I'm sending him. Subtle enough of a troll?

>I just want to confirm that this project is indeed satirical. I find it difficult to fathom why someone would simplify and greatly change sentences in modern English and repeatedly insist they are not dumbing down the text when that is clearly what is happening. That makes for an excellent critique of those who refuse to put any work into reading, and are incapable of reading a dictionary or a footnote. It's a tragedy that a satirical piece like this needs to exist, and speaks to the sorry state of the intellect of the modern reader.
Even though I find the satire interesting, I think it is unethical to take people's money for it.
But this did make for a good laugh, and the amount of work you put into it is commendable.

-Henry
>>
>>7721556
Do it, post response
>>
they did something similar to don quixote in spanish, "adapted" by perez-reverte, a glorified pulp writer. at least they didn't succumb to that identity politics nonsense and it was basically just a dumbed down, shorter version "for students".
>>
>>7721556
no, you sound angry. try to make it seem like it's very obvious that it's satire, rather than questioning whether it's satire.
>>
>>7712578
I don't get it, I thought the left was supposed to be against censorship? But now they're not?
>>
>>7721556
>implying that the neckbeard man who created this product isn't already in the thread.

I'm sure that he could just answer you here, and you could save some time.
>>
>>7712825
>I'm mentally ill
>>
>>7712578
>https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2001070129/the-new-walden

This is the future Heidegger warned us about in his technology essay. Some things don't need improving.

Also the "timeless" design is just about as timeless as the kickstarter dude's sense of style.
>>
>>7721556
It's good. Get back to us with their reply.
>>
>>7712578
This man is a fucking genius, holy shit.
He asked for too much, which was his biggest mistake, but this idea is fucking great.

Take advantage of the SJWs by asking for way more fucking money than this useless thing is worth. Fuck. Applause to this man.

I might have to steal this idea.
>>
>>7722007
He has yet to identify himself, so he probably isn't. Unless you're implying that you're the neckbeard.
>>
File: OP is a fag.png (118 KB, 680x383) Image search: [Google]
OP is a fag.png
118 KB, 680x383
>>7712578
I don't like this edition he's trying for but at least don't misrepresent it.
>>
>>7715321
>>7715468
>have you not interacted with mentaly (sic) ill people before? That is exactly what you do, you go along
No you fucking well do not.
I mean YOU might as you're a fucking retard but no responsible person would in any situation that actually required one to care about their health or wellbeing. No one with any experience of actually mentally ill people beyond Alzheimers would ever reinforce delusions or psychoses. Not agreeing with them isn't the same as fucking harassing them, agreeing with them.
This is literally the stupidest and most dangerous thing I have read on here today, I literally wish that I could reach through the screen and strangle you, you unspeakably worthless cretin.
>>
File: 1399843477146.png (27 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
1399843477146.png
27 KB, 211x246
>>7715300

It's more what it represents that pisses me off

Aside from that It just seems like an insult to literature and good taste
>>
>>7720388
That was a troll, read the fucking thread.
>>
>>7722776
>Change 'mistake' to 'error'
>'Actually' to 'In Truth'
Seriously why?
>>
>>7712825
HAHAHAHA kill yourself familia.
>>
File: 4L_qk7NOp8P.gif (582 KB, 300x193) Image search: [Google]
4L_qk7NOp8P.gif
582 KB, 300x193
>>7712825
Every time I read a post like this it reminds me to never ever ever ever ever take this site seriously.

>there are people like this critiquing your posts
>tfw mentally ill dudes wearing makeup are giving you recommendations on what to read
>tfw you shitpost on the same Korean pancake advice message board as people like this
>>
>>7714213

that's a bootleg publisher from Kentucky that is run out of a weird church

they put that warning in all their books
>>
>>7712578
so they translated men to people, but left "his" unchanged?
>>
>>7720650
because there's no doublethink involved. they literally sincerely genuinely believe they're doing good things.
>>
>>7722457
yes, technically it is a mental illness. nice observation there bud.
>>7712868
>made up terms
>>7713092
crossdressing is very fun. taking hormones is just turning that up to 11.
>>7713292
>>7716049
>>7720388
>>7723018
I will live a good life at your expense.
>>7723188
>implying trans is the worst thing to be
god with people like you anonymity is a godsend to this place. fuck you
>>
http://www.apa.org/topics/lgbt/transgender.aspx
>>
>>7712979
>http://fusion.net/story/38457/how-france-went-from-free-speech-rallies-to-54-hate-speech-arrests-in-one-week/

We're talking about literary censorhip here. Germans just released unabridged Hitler book, so that does not compare.
>>
>>7717214
don't be so triggered anon, Walden is a piece of shit written by an untalented neckbeard
>>
>>7725321
fuck you, Thoreau is great
Thread replies: 194
Thread images: 28

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.