[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How many books by non-white authors do you read on average (per
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: 41ox4FJj5qL.jpg (24 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
41ox4FJj5qL.jpg
24 KB, 333x500
How many books by non-white authors do you read on average (per year)?
I have a feeling that /lit/'s taste has become even more Euro-centric in the last few months
>>
File: 19-24604-yukio-mishima-2[1].jpg (16 KB, 285x369) Image search: [Google]
19-24604-yukio-mishima-2[1].jpg
16 KB, 285x369
Maybe 5 - 10.

They are predominantly Asian though, which apparently doesn't score me any SJW-points.
>>
Is Borges eurocentric?

Anyway I find it really bizarre when blacks are commended for only reading Afro-centric work and women only reading women writers but the notion that A european explore the identity of the vast continents of Eurasia is somehow narrow and problematic
>>
>>7711788
None.
>>
>non-white

You mean black. I've read tons of Asian philosophy and Marquez is my favorite writer but that doesn't count for shit. You have to read Toni Morrison and Ta Nehisi Coates exclusively or you're a shitlord.
>>
>>7711819
>>7711797
Of course Asian authors count. Don't listen to tumblr
>>7711810
Well, I think everybody should broaden their horizons. Including minorities. You should just make sure that you got a good mix going.
>>
>>7711819
Coates is shit tier though. Morrison is bretty gud.

And defining diversity by modern notions of race is dumb. Do the many Latin writers I read count as white? What about the Arabs and East Asians?

I just know it's a loaded question that's really about black people because black people specifically are the "cause" of upper middle class white liberals.
>>
File: 9200000016164675.jpg (22 KB, 549x840) Image search: [Google]
9200000016164675.jpg
22 KB, 549x840
Pic related was surprisingly good, got better with each story

kind-of-magical-realism plus horror plus war stories
>>
Shakespeare counts, right?
>>
plenty, admittedly most of what i read is european (and white americans) but theres a load of good writing from south americans, africans, asians etc too

but it's unsurprising that people from a mainly european context will generally read work in the european tradition
>>
>>7711853
>but it's unsurprising that people from a mainly european context will generally read work in the european tradition

Asia for the Asians, Africa for the Africans, Europe for Everyone
>>
>>7711863

not close to what i said, i wish people would follow the words of erich auerbach but it's not a surprise they don't, africans and asians will be far better versed in their own cultures narratives too

though europeans have exported their culture more so far
>>
>>7711875
I was making a general comment, not targeting you. There's something really disgusting about policing how some invest in learning their own culture and identity. No one would tell the Chinese to read less Confucius and read more Afroamerican transgender hiphop fiction
>>
OP post essential black writers if you actually care
>>
>>7711788
No they haven't, they've always been like that + a few Asians (especially Japanese).
>>
Why would skin color matter if I'm not racist, you dumb racist?
>>
>>7711939
All white people are racist, because they are not PoC
>>
>>7711898
Fucking Dumas, man.
>>
>>7712071
Quadroon, more white than black
>>
>>7711788
>How many books by non-white authors do you read on average (per year)?
Not much desu OP. What about you? How many books by romanian authors do you read on average? I have a feeling that /lit/'s taste has become even more Romanian-phobic in the last few months.
>>
So far this year, roughly 25%. However, I tend to avoid fiction written by a minority author living in a primarily white country, as it's far too mired in ressentiment for me. I'd much rather read a book written by an African and set in Africa than a book written by an African American and set in the USA, for example.
>>
>>7711788
I dont care about race, but I try to read outside my culture all the time.Ive read 3 non-whites this year
>>
File: marlon-james-author-interview.jpg (1 MB, 1943x3000) Image search: [Google]
marlon-james-author-interview.jpg
1 MB, 1943x3000
>>7711898
Pic related is one of my new favorite authors

C. L. R. James
Chigozie Obioma
Ngũgĩ wa Thiong'o

The last 4 darkies I have read (not counting indians and arabs)
>>
if asians count ~25 - 75 a year

but asians don't count cause reading anything that wasn't written by KANGZ means you're a fucking racist
>>
Can anyone provide a book written by a nigger that isn't centered around muh struggle and muh slavery?
A book that isn't about black people. Hell I don't care if the main character is black, but I don't want to go through +200 pages of propaganda
>>
>>7711835
>morrison
>good

wew lad i am laffin'
>>
>>7712171

no, but saying dumb shit like that might lead someone to believe that
>>
>>7712190

yeah, morrison is actually good, beloved is a must read
>>
In what way is the ethnicity of the author in any way related to the content or quality of the book? Why should I enforce racial quotas on the reading I do for pleasure? Shouldn't the identity of the author be more or less irrelevant?
>>
>>
I read what I like. My entertainment doesn't have to be a multicultural utopia just because everything else is.
>>
>>7712234
>>7712214

y'all mothafuckas need cultural enrichment
>>
>>7712220
very nice get
>>
>>7712116
but the ressentiment of too sensitive lonely white boys is part of the great white tradition
>>
>>7711788
Almost everything I read is by East Asians. The number of "white" authors is usually pretty few, barring non-fiction.
>>
>>7712208
morrison is the least deserving nobel prize winner ever desu. committee has been repenting by not awarding it to any other americans as a result. you can thank morrison for delilo/roth/pynchon/etc. not getting a prize :^)
>>
>all those white supremacists ITT
wew
>>
>>7712261
>2016
>not being white supremacist master race on a mongolian throat singing board

what are you even doing famfam?
>>
>>7712253
Yeah but their not exclusively whining about their colour and how hard done by they are by fucking whitey

Yeats was able to write some great stuff that wasn't just "Fuck the Brits"
>>
>>7712257

that's a terrible argument for discussing whether morrison is good or not, and even less of one to discuss whether beloved is good or not

roth is trash, delilo is ok(take out white noise and he's very questionable) and pynchon more recently has been overrated (not to dismiss how good GR, V, Mason and Dixon are)
>>
>>7712261
>belonging to an inferior race

JUST
>>
>>7712424
LYNCH
>>
>>7712420
i wasn't using that to explain why morrison is good or not, i just thought it was amusing

morrison is trash because she is literally carried by writing about things that would get anyone critical of her works racist/sexist. she proudly/defiantly states she only writes for black people and everything she writes is overwhelmed by "muh oppression" and "muh slavery"
>>
>>7712128
Seconding Thiong'o, the Wizard of the Crow is pretty GOAT
>>
8 of the 29 books I read last year. Slightly more Asian than African. My #feminine #diversity can’t be stopped.
>>
>>7711810
>>7711834

This. I read works written by white, male, European and American authors almost exclusively because I'm interested in understanding and enriching my own experience of the world.

Yeah, I read a small margin, maybe 10% to "broaden my horizon" and to experience quality, but at the end of the day I'm not reading the rainbow because I have no interest.
>>
>>7711788
i don't think i've read any books by blacks desu
>>
>>7713434

So no actual criticism of her work and a handwavey b-but you can't say anything about the blacks or women for fear of being called racist or misogynistic. Guess what, there are plenty of black writers who write dumb crap about black lives and rightly don't get praise. Try reading something by her without having it tainted by this nonsense.
>>
>>7713468
I would understand if you read your nationality as means of self-enrichment, but what does a whole continent and america have to do with your own experience of the world.
>>
>>7711788
I'm not white. So does it count that I tend to read way more white authors that books by people of color?
>>
>>7713578
Race traitor
>>
>>7713592
Oh, you're too fun.
>>
>>7713568
yea you're dumb. every single one of morrison's works is about the same set of stale and parochial themes that she's unapologetic about because IM BLACK DAMMIT IM WRITING FOR BLACK PEOPLE

her characters are one dimensional and the symbolism/metaphors are heavy handed. she's just forcing moral lessons down her readers' throats and expecting them to lavish her with praise for it because she's writing about the black experience.

>names a character pontius pilate
>haha, it sounds like pilot, get it?? i'm so clever

or
>124
>get it? cause she killed her third child!! so clever!

the usage of the "magic realism" or however you want to describe her use of supernaturla elements is similarly ridiculous. all it does is artifically confer a sense of alienation and strangeness so she can show how YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND, MAN. she's a hack author
>>
Last year? Eight out of fifty. Of those eight two were black, one was Iranian, and the rest were Asian.

I don't really see the problem. If you can recommend me books by non white authors that look interesting and don't have a strong political slant there's a good chance they'll make it onto my to-read list. Why is such a big deal that white people read other white people? The real tragedy is how little people read in general.

>http://thegrio.com/2013/09/27/nielsen-report-confirms-blacks-watch-more-tv-than-any-other-group/
>>
what if its like maoism

but instead of eternal class struggle

there is eternal race struggle against whites
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.