[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the prerequisites for this, /lit/? No meme answers please.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: 220px-UlyssesCover.jpg (10 KB, 220x281) Image search: [Google]
220px-UlyssesCover.jpg
10 KB, 220x281
What are the prerequisites for this, /lit/? No meme answers please. Keep it to less than 10 books or ~5000 pages overall.
>>
>>7711524
The obvious ones would be Iliad, Odyssey, and the Bible. Hop to it anon.
>>
WOW ITS THIS THREAD AGIAN HAJAHAHAJAJAJA
JDICKNDDOMASKSPDL OXP P O PICK DIPLODOCUS'S NOG
>>
none. ulysses is a book: read it
>>
>>7711529
Nah man, don't you know you have to read everything ever written in chronological order or you'll never understand literature. Start with the Epic of Gilgamesh OP, godspeed.
>>
>>7711524
James Joyce's "Letters to Nora"
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 600x776) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 600x776
https://youtu.be/EM7ZMEoYtiA
>>
>>7711540
Mate start with the Rosetta Stone, ffs.
>>
File: image.jpg (94 KB, 1024x486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
94 KB, 1024x486
Chapter Four - Calypso.

http://youtu.be/v_gwRjfvaB8
>>
File: Penguins.jpg (760 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Penguins.jpg
760 KB, 1024x768
>>7711600
>>7711540

>They didn't start with Indonesian Cave Paintings!

wew lads
>>
My oh my. And I thought my home board, /mu/ was full of people with their heads up their asses: this place takes the fucking cake. I'm going to assume the role of an older person, probably mid-40s, at the parental point in their life: you should all be ashamed of yourselves for discouraging intellectual curiosity in the bright, inquiring minds of those younger than you -- those who possess the most curiosity about the world out of all the ages. I can't believe how pretentious and up your own asses you lot are. Telling the younger generation they could never read this or that, assuming they're too immature and naive to understand ENGLISH words written by ENGLISH authors, diverting them from what they want to do out of the assumption that their mind can't comprehend certain meaning. The absolute fucking temerity (that's To Kill a Mockingbird for you, which I understand quite well thank you very much). I thought this, of all places, would be the place for acceptance, tolerance, and an openness to curiosity and inquiry. I guessed wrong. I guess I'm only a stupid fucking kid who listens to meme music and who will never rise to the heights of your self-absorbed, vapid drollery. Fucking snobs. Fucking English majors. This might've even dissuaded me from going into English in college, my favorite subject. You're the reason why I hate fucking English now. I can write brilliant analytical essays, but after writing so many of them, I realized how pretentious, formulaic, and droll they really were: just like your respective attitudes. So you know what, I'm done with the conformity and the fucking listening to what pseudo-intellectuals have to say: I'm going to read Hocus Pocus on my free time (fuck the assigned books I have for English) and do whatever the hell I want. And you're not going to fucking stop me.
>>
>>7711524
Start with a book on how to read English. If you are successful with this you should then be able to read a book
>>
>>7711524

I wonder does being from Dublin help?
>>
>>7711524
The western canon, as it is with every otehr book.
>>
>>7711524

The Odyssey, Hamlet, and Joyce's two previous books are obvious answers, but even more important than reading those is having patience and concentration. You won't get every single reference on the first read. No one does. Ulysses is a book that you return to throughout your life, with you finding different meanings and emotional content every time you read it.
>>
>>7711524
>What are the prerequisites for this, /lit/?
An inferiority complex
A tendency to read lists of "top literature", whatever that means.
Access to an elitist literary community.
A taste for the pretentious.
The ability to fool yourself into believing that complex prose implies complexity within a work.
An inability to discover works by yourself.
A mentality that gives you a degree of calm when you run with mobs or memes.
>>
>>7712057
wow, i know some guys from an malaysian yoga SMS based simposium who would love this book then!
>>
I guess having a good idea at least of what goes on on the Iliad and the Odyssey, as well as the Bible. I had only read Dubliners before i read Ulysses and would probably have read Portrait before, in retrospective. Having some good companion books as well, the chart the Joyce wrote for the chapters (To which body part, writing style, etc.. each chapter corresponds).
Those are the big musts, you might want to have a map of Dublin to see the areas each place corresponds to, you don't need to do so, but the building Daedalus and Buck Mulligan are living in in the first chapters exists and checking some photos of the place might help you get a clearer image.
>>
>>7711652
>My oh my.

what did you mean by this? also, i stopped reading there
>>
>>7711652
K
>>
>>7711600
What is the best version of the rosetta stone?
>>
>>7711652
best new copypasta, good job for being the first.
>>
>>7711525
have you even read ulysses?

correct answer is Hamlet and Portrait.

the others help, but aren't required
>>
>>7712388
The Greek
>inb4 translations
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.