[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Ursula K Le Guin?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: download.jpg (12 KB, 173x291) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
12 KB, 173x291
What does /lit/ think of Ursula K Le Guin?
>>
>>7711165
An island rising from the shit sea of genre fiction.
>>
I like her story well all the men just play football while the women rule. Never read EarthSea saga. Should I give it a shot? Has a.non ever read Elric?
>>
I got about 2/3 of the way through this book and had to put it down. I just couldn't bear the dry prose and dull characters. The only interesting thing about it, and what got me to read as far as I did, was the premise of the one-gender species.
>>
Feminist garbage
>>
>>7711191
I read the Earthsea books when I was 12 and I'm so fucking glad it was that instead of Harry Potter. The first one's god-tier YA. I'm not sure how a mature reader would find them though. She did write three more Earthsea books for older readers, maybe check those out. Her prose tends to be pretty simplistic anyway, so I doubt Earthsea reads very differently from her other books.

>>7711196
>not reading literature to challenge your worldview
literally doing it all wrong m8
>implying this isn't just shitty bait and I'm taking it anyway
>>
the dispossessed is the one book i’ll recommend to anyone

(but only because i’m a sad, hopeless anarchist ;3;)
>>
>>7711220
I read that, I thought it was kinda anti-anarchy in the end. Like the anarchist society was better than the archist ones but still had similar problems.
>>
>>7711195
They're actually a 3 gender species.
>>
File: leguin-loa.jpg (13 KB, 202x320) Image search: [Google]
leguin-loa.jpg
13 KB, 202x320
This is being released in September.

No idea whether they're doing more volumes by her.
>>
>>7711255

Is it just going to be Orsinian stories? I read a couple and wasn't entranced.

Some of her stories and novels are GOAT though don't get me wrong
>>
Holy shit, I read this last year and it's literally terrible.

Such bad character fleshing; it's like she wasn't even trying.

Would not recommend.
>>
>>7711232
it wasn’t anti-anarchy, just nuanced and not propaganda
>>
>>7711287
>nuanced and not propaganda
I get what you mean, and that's why I enjoyed the book so much, but it seemed to me that the anarchist society stifled individualism so much more than the archist one on Urras. It seemed like so many people on the Anarres were constantly trying to cut Shevek down, like his kindergarten teacher-thing who calls him an egotist for explaining high-level maths concepts to other kids.

I think at the end of the day you're meant to realise that the same problems present themselves in all societies but anarchy is still better
>>
>>7711304
Eh, I don’t think they were the ‘same problems’ by any stretch. You were better off not on Anarres if you were male and rich, otherwise life was pretty miserable.

Honestly, the whole petty quibbles and grudges made ideology thing on Anarres was much more hopeful an image than what happened in the early PRC and the likes.
>>
>>7711322
Yeah I guess when you consider the big picture the problems on Anarres are pretty unique to Shevek, and most people on Urras would be too poor to ever get well-educated enough to become a genius like him.
>>
I enjoyed The Left Hand of Darkness a lot. To anyone who enjoys her books or specifically that one what would you recommend I read next?
>>
>>7711777
Definitely the Dispossessed

>>7711220
... this, because...

>>7711208
>Her prose tends to be pretty simplistic anyway
... of this. Most of her works are simplistic even beyond the prose. Not in a single-minded or clear-cutting way, but enough that they aren't interesting past childhood.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.