[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the earliest memory you have of reading? What was
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12
File: frogtoadmain.jpg (283 KB, 1440x1320) Image search: [Google]
frogtoadmain.jpg
283 KB, 1440x1320
What's the earliest memory you have of reading? What was the first book you ever read?
>>
Reading the first harry potter book in 2nd grade and feeling like a cool big kid
>>
started off with non fiction with a lot of pictures. I liked history/war and dinosaur books. this was around 1996 when I was 5
>>
File: Pesme za decu.jpg (136 KB, 310x430) Image search: [Google]
Pesme za decu.jpg
136 KB, 310x430
A collection of children's poems in my native language. I was around five years old, my grandmother used to take care of me every afternoon and read with me.
>>
>>7710991
My dad gave me a bunch of Jack London because thats what his dad had him read as a kid

I remember really liking White Fang

Even before that I read Hans Christian Andersen fairy tales from some story book I had. Pretty comfy.
>>
I think Notes From The Underground was the first book I read from cover to cover, I was 18 at the time.

Before then I had no interest in reading and at reading time at school I'd just pretend.

I was at a higher reading level than all the other kids and the materials bored me, but the teachers always thought I was illiterate.
>>
king of the copper mountain.

shit was kind of advanced for a six year old, but i didn't give a fuck, read it anyway.
>>
File: 283.gif (342 KB, 666x386) Image search: [Google]
283.gif
342 KB, 666x386
choosing a couple letters from the family set of encyclopedias and taking them to bed every night every night - comfy times. the entries on foreign countries and languages were the best. greece was my favorite.
>tfw i started with the greeks
>>
>>7710991
I'm old
>>
>>7710991
Well I remember reading the hardy boys in kindergarten. Screech owls book series.

Hobbit and LOTR were my for foray into actual adult books...thinking it was grade 1 or 2. Probably 1.

My parents were based and encouraged me from a very young age
>>
When I was five years old my mom handed me Charlotte's Web saying I should move on from picture books. Really pissed me off when she said that. Ended up liking the book anyway.
>>
>>
>>7712068
Just from the cover, I want to track this down and read it
>>
File: image.jpg (26 KB, 202x300) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26 KB, 202x300
2nd grade
>>
was too busy having my prepubescent penis sucked by the girl next door
>>
File: rfish1.jpg (293 KB, 1538x1600) Image search: [Google]
rfish1.jpg
293 KB, 1538x1600
Man I loved this book so much...
>>
>>7712547
You mean "The Communist Fish" who is excluded by all his comrades for having property, and then being forced to share what he is proud of so he can be part of the larger community?

I openly mock it to my daughter.
>>
>>7712547
Marxist filth. But I'd be a liar if I said I didn't love this as a chillun'.
>>
>>7710991

when I was in year 1 (first grade) I was the best reader in the class, to the point where I was considered something of a "gifted" child. I remember being given spelling work from other kids to check, and being the first kid to be able to join my handwriting. Anyway, I loved reading those toad and frog books at home, and after mentioning this to my teacher, one day she asked me to read one aloud in front of the class, instead of her doing so like usual. I have a vivid recollection of reading this book out loud in front of a group of roughly 15 kids, all seated on the floor. As I read, confidently, they would actually listen to me, and pay attention. They laughed at the funny bits, and were attentive the whole way. These kids would later go on to either forget about me or bully me, but for that moment I can remember being 100% happy, and realising that I wanted to spend my life involved, at least some way, with books.

Sorry for the long winded post; that's my first experience of reading, and (one of) the first books that ever provoked emotion in me. I remember it fondly to this day, and regret not studying english to a higher level.
>>
I remember reading Goosebumps, Tintin, Enid Blyton, Horrible Histories and a Spanish collection of adaptations of classics for children called Araluce: Don Quixote, Hamlet, Odissey, etc etc. Gulliver's travels was my favourite, though. Good memories.
>>
>>7710991
Not a memory, but my parents realized I could actually read when I started telling them stuff I'd read in a field guide at just past two years of age.
>>
File: footbook.jpg (24 KB, 256x346) Image search: [Google]
footbook.jpg
24 KB, 256x346
Either this or that fish book by him
As I got older I was really into Goosebumps, Michigan Chillers, and the Magic Treehouse books. Then I started just reading those books that filled with short scary stories along with A Series of Unfortunate Events.
>>
>>7712547
rainbow fish was shilled so hard at my infant school, fuck i even still have the pc game

parents always used to read farmer duck to me. independent reading-wise, i spent my junior school years constantly borrowing books from the library, finding them boring and sending them straight back. i fucking loved the cherub series later on though
>>
My father started reading a collection of Roald Dahl books to me. I got frustrated by how slow he was going, and decided to start reading them myself. I tortured my parents asking them to tell me the definition of words, but it helped me a lot for school in the long run.
>>
Dick & Jane was my starter
also earliest memory

I do remember Frog and Toad tho, elementary school
>>
>>7712547
Rainbow fish is a fucking dick
>>
>>7713496
I remember my mom would get happy and start clapping whenever I read the names on grocery aisles and bill boards, so I started doing it a lot and trying to say harder words.
>>
File: 1446303313343.jpg (33 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1446303313343.jpg
33 KB, 512x384
>>7711062
>was at a higher reading level than all the other kids and the materials bored me, but the teachers always thought I was illiterate.
sure you were, kid
>>
>>7712695

that's a nice story anon.
>>
My dad always used to read this to me and show me the pictures. I thought it was so cool how the things in the book glowed.
>>
File: The_Twits_first_edition.jpg (30 KB, 266x408) Image search: [Google]
The_Twits_first_edition.jpg
30 KB, 266x408
>>7710991

Probably the first book i ever read but the first one that i ever remember
>>
>>7710991
this and Garfield books
>>
some crazy Russian shit about witches and kids who don't want to take baths
>>
I remember reading Make Way for Ducklings with my mom. The duck's names were Jack, Kack, Lack, Mack, Nack, Ouack, Pack, and Quack and I always lost my shit at Ouack.
Oh and the policeman's name was Michael I remember because my name is also Michael.
>>
The Plant That Ate Dirty Socks and The Monster's Ring.

Remember mom telling me and offering to read bible stories instead. Why the flying fuck would I want to read stories about bearded dudes in the stupid desert I fondly recall thinking at that young age.
>>
Horton the Elephant Hatches the Egg.
My grandma used to read it to me all the time, then one day she said no when I asked so I just read it myself.
>>
>>7710991
my mum used to read me The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe series before I went to bed
>>
my mawma would read my this collection of stories about Derrick the Dumptruck and Colin the Crane or some shit, i really liked those. I really hated the book "I was so mad" for some reason (maybe the illustration)

Kindergarden teacher would pull me aside during nap time and make me read, which i appreciate now but hated then (i was one of the non retarded public school kids)

read the first 4 harry potter books in 1st and 2nd grade, principle called me into his office and gave me a dictionary as a prize

reading is gay
>>
Make Way for Ducklings was a default for me (living in Boston). I also remember reading Ferdinand the Bull a lot. Kind of ironic as I ended up loving Hemingway and specifically TSAR
>>
>>7712547
This book is fucking garbage

Nice illustrations to mask a message that is complete and utter unredeemable trash

My child will not read this filth
Maybe I'll let him look at the drawings
>>
>>7714675
What's wrong with it?
>>
>>7714678
>Stalin the Starfish has to share his property with his comrades or he's evil
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.