[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Without trying to sound too masturbatory or circlejerky, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2
File: 14861ac.jpg (15 KB, 698x400) Image search: [Google]
14861ac.jpg
15 KB, 698x400
Without trying to sound too masturbatory or circlejerky, what 'percentile' would someone who reads, say, 50 books a year (a little under 1 a week) fall under? We could even broaden the scope, say 30+ books (I know that only 30/year might be seen as pleb here, but whatever), point being, someone that's regularly reading a lot.

Presuming these titles are primarily literature of course.

Just how many people actually read? I literally only know one other person in person who reads more than just genre shit.
>>
>>7710987
About 2%, if the books are actually hard, <1%.
>>
>>7710987
You should probably go out and meet other people
>>
>>7710990
If it helps, I read about 70 books a year, mostly non-fiction.
>>
>>7710987
>Presuming these titles are primarily literature of course.
Even 1 book of "literature" a year puts you far above most people since they tend not to read any literature.
>>
>>7710987
I imagine you could define literary taste in such a way that it'd seem to be indicative of high intelligence, but I don't think the two correlate very closely. Most mathematicians and physicist whose reading habits have been published read quite a lot of rot.
>>
http://libraries.pewinternet.org/2012/04/04/part-2-the-general-reading-habits-of-americans/

>50 books is about 5%, in 2011. I project it's about 3-4% now, for American adults.
>>
>>7711003
But this seems to be the only credible data from a very cursory Google search

http://www.pewinternet.org/2014/01/16/a-snapshot-of-reading-in-america-in-2013/

The average is 12, and the median is 5. Bit of a positive skew, must be a couple of people reading a lot and skewing the distribution
>>
>>7711019
excuse me, that wasn't supposed to be a quote.

greater than 50 books, I mean, and so on.
>>
>>7710987
I read one book a month, I'm considered the bookworm by my closest friends. I think even with the low amount of books I read, I'm still above average.
>>
>>7711024
I don't know anyone who reads even one book a year.
>>
>>7711029
you need new friends d e s u s e n p a i
>>
>>7711029
Seeing as the average is 12, you are literally average
>>
>>7711029
see
>>7711019
(lolnope)

I think the link's statistics are skewed by self reporting, kind of like how reports for most penis-measuring studies tend to be inflated by half an inch.
>>
>>7710987
>>7711011
i'll also just say that if you're reading literature as an end in itself you shouldn't worry about this kind of thing
>>
99℅ of people hate to read. Tottaly scientific study based only on my own feels, but reading is dying out.
>>
>>7710987
Percentile of what? Of /lit/ or of everyone?

Of the general population like two or three books probably puts you in the 99th percentile. Of /lit/, maybe somewhere around the mean.
>>
>>7711034
considering the median is 5, he's still doing better than most of the population
>>
>>7711042
Even if he loves literature in itself he is still allowed to seek meaning at other levels.
>>
>>7711003

Where? I'm literally a university student, and in my classes nobody else reads literature that I know of.
>>
>>7711012
They don't have intelligence in the arts. That's not their muse. Of course, they are going to read genre fiction shite.
>>
>>7711277
Is this a troll?
They're reading to destress their jobs require enough brain power.

Maths and physics (at the highest levels for God sales dont think of your degenerate STEM friend who thinks he's anything except sort of above average in in intelligence), especially the former require a great amount of creativity to excel at.

g exists, intelligence across different fields correlate very highly.

fine arts are an exception (Google andy warhol IQ) but literature and fiction, although less g intensive than many other fields, still correlate (look up Tarrantino's IQ).
>>
>>7711049
He made a statement relevant to the question.

your us age of the word "better" makes me wish that you have higher achievements in life beyond your library.
>>
'just reading' is very masturbatory, really.
>>
>>7711664
what's g?
>>
>>7711680
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G_factor_%28psychometrics%29
>>
File: G Unit.jpg (127 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
G Unit.jpg
127 KB, 1024x768
>>7711680
>>
>>7711664
Besides Warhol do you have any other "proof" about the fine arts IQ thing?
>>
>>7711738
HEY HELLO
X is Y, just google one example (Z) which proves everything.
>>
i would guess 90th+
>>
>>7711865
Doesn't prove everything.
I'm not here to prove anything, that I can't do, all I'm doing is stating my belief.

In any case if you think IQ tests are useless because they aren't perfect predictors of mental processing speed then maybe you would be surprised to note how most of your favorite writers and philosophers will turn up to have a high IQ when you google them.
>>
>>7711047

Of everyone in first worldia
>>
>>7711914
Iq tests aren't useless, but they are limited.
>>
>>7711267
Try hanging out with the Lit grads
>>
Here is an interesting article on reading statistics:

One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.

• 42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.

• 80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

• 70 percent of U.S. adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

• 57 percent of new books are not read to completion.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/27590/who-reads-books
>>
>>7710987
Jeasus Christ anon you need to reconnect with the real world
>>
>>7710987
I sincerely doubt there's any real correlation, since you can slog through literature without actually understanding or appreciating it. Why does this even matter?
>>
>>7716520

Elaborate

>>7717125

You apparently didn't understand the post. I'm not discussing IQ or intelligence, I am merely asking what percentage of people actually read literature regularly.
>>
>>7711029
Haha same for me. 'I read like 10 books a year and my friends always calls me a nerd or bookworm whenever the subject of books/literature is brought up.
>>
>>7715233
There's something terribly sad and banal about that.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.