[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of Ayn Rand? Is she absolutely necessary
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
What does /lit/ think of Ayn Rand? Is she absolutely necessary to read?
>>
I miss when the only rule of /lit/ was "don't talk about Ayn Rand"
>>
The Fountainhead is probably her best book. Atlas Shrugged is a lol-tier political screed, economically and philosophically illiterate, but still somewhat enjoyable if you don't care that the characters are all superficial mary sues.
>>
>>7710843
I namedrop her on tinder and okcupid. has gotten me laid twice and also herpes........
>>
Ayn Rand is an important part of being a teenager.
>>
I think the visceral reaction she creates is very funny
>>
>>7710843
Her ideas and philosophically views, while valid, are overly naive. Her writing skills are completely shit and she has no idea how to create a conflict, character, or antagonist. As far as I'm concerned her books where only written as a platform of pushing out an oversimplified world view that isn't as complex as it wants to sound.
And this is coming from someone who thinks objectivism has some decent points in concern to the human nature of selfishness, and the inability to escape it without knowing it exists.
>>
I would say that Ayn Rand's best works are as "necessary" to be exposed to as any classic literature.
You don't have to agree with her ideas, but she has an interesting perspective.
>>
Absolutely unnecessary. It's not a meme, she's just not worth reading.
>>
>>7710852
>>7710860
>>7710861
>>7710862
>>7710865
All of these posts are true

I like to think that she was a just a regular amphetamine addict who was accidentally mistaken for an author. I wish she got the treatment she needed
>>
>>7710843
Maybe in some sense, it's good to be able to fully recognize the related cultural phenomenon surrounding her. But her actual writing is abortive ass seepage, parody that takes itself seriously with no sense of style...or brevity.
>>
>>7710843
Why not, I breezed through Fountainhead in an afternoon

It's not as if you're missing any complexity by not reading the overly long and overwritten descriptions of trivial shit and leeches she keeps throwing at you
>>
Are any of her lesser known works worth reading?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.