[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Tell me why I shouldn't read this.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: images.jpg (155 KB, 720x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
155 KB, 720x1080
Tell me why I shouldn't read this.
>>
it's written by stephen king
>>
It's +800 pages long.
>>
>>7710161

My dad liked it, so you might too, idk
>>
>>7710161
It would interfere with your daily shitposting time.
>>
It's a classic thriller. Don't worry about its length, you can easily blow through it.

there is a love interest that pops up about half way through but the bitch redeems herself.
>>
the ending is trashola
>>
>>7710161
The first couple hundred pages are pretty fun, then it gets boring.

What pissed me off about it is that I was expecting the bulk of the book to be alternate history--that is, about what the U.S. and world might look like if JFK had survived. But that is only dealt with in about ten or fifteen pages toward the end. Perhaps having that expectation was my fault, so I won't grouse too much about it.

What I cannot forgive is the crummy writing, the uninteresting and flat characters, the transparent wish-fulfillment by King in the small Texas town chapters, and the corniness of it. Despite his reputation as a horror author, few respected writers are as sentimental and downright corny as King.

I was very annoyed when I finished it, but these are just my opinions. You might like it, OP. But if anything I've said sounds like it might piss you off and if you are a comparatively slow reader and would have to devote a lot of time to reading this, be forewarned.
>>
>>7710161

I generally don't like Stephen King but I think he really hit the jackpot with this one. The book is unnvering in a very unique way, the time travel feels so "ordinary" yet at the same time, slightly off-kilter. I would read it.
>>
>>7710678
this sums it right up
>>
>>7710161
You sit through 800 pages and then the ending is shit. I choose to ignore it. The story is much better if it ends on a cliff hanger.
>>
My mom didn't like it and I generally trust her opinion
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.