[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best work of literature you "had" to read in high school
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2
File: cyrano-de-bergerac.jpg (27 KB, 494x600) Image search: [Google]
cyrano-de-bergerac.jpg
27 KB, 494x600
Best work of literature you "had" to read in high school English?

Cyrano de Bergerac and 1984
>>
Our Town was my favourite I think.

We read L'Étranger in my French class which was cool beans.
>>
>>7709908

Crime and Punishment
introduced me to a favorite author and started my love for Russian lit
>>
>>7709908
The Wheelbarrow by pirandello

Listened in a sleepy hour of lesson more than 10 year ago and never forgotten
>>
>>7709908
I don't know if I would consider it the best but my favorite assigned book was For Whom the Bell Tolls.
>>
File: 1341845063130021.jpg (28 KB, 500x396) Image search: [Google]
1341845063130021.jpg
28 KB, 500x396
The only teacher I had that wasn't a rabid progressive taught Eliot and Kipling.
>>
The Tempest
Heart of Darkness
Mrs. Dalloway
Senior year English was GOAT
>>
>>7709956
>love for Russian lit
Like every other tumblrina
>>
>>7710001
>I got an F on my Crime and Punishment book report so I'm going to try to tear things down to my level
>>
Dead Souls
>>
>>7709908
I fucking loved the Bergerac movie. Is the book good?
>>
>>7710001
I'm literally russian and grew up reading russian shit, fuck you asshole
>>
>>7709908
Not the "best" but the most influential on my reading/writing and the ones I enjoy the most:

Word according to Garp
Great Santini
Cats Cradle
>>
>>7710092
Fuck me

WORLD I wanted to say World
>>
>>7710059
what the fuck kind of high school did you go to? was the teacher trying to get you kids to kill yourselves?
>>
>>7710101
You obviously haven't read anything but the title. Dead Souls has quite a sense of humor.
>>
>>7710112
> LITERALLY high school level book for people who think theyre smart
> MUH DARK HUMOR
> slow pacing
> literally unfinished ending
U JUST HAVENT READ IT LOL!!!

how the fuck is it suited for actual high school students?
>>
>>7710089
No need to lie, Kyle.
>>
>>7710089
yet you read dostoevsky in english class? right
>>
>>7710475
????
>>
>>7710475
Are you American? Did you ever read anything by an American author in school?
>>
I thought both Of Mice and Men and Things Fall Apart were exceptional ones I read in high school
>>
The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

And we had to do a research paper on it.

It was great and I still love it.

Mark Twain wrote The Adventures of Huckleberry after his success with The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, but now focused on another character from that story, Huckleberry Finn. Mark Twain wrote the book after the Civil War, yet the book takes place before it. With this in mind, Twain sought out to make it match the period painstakingly. To do this, he tried matching the vernacular of people in the southern United States. Because of this, the word considered discriminatory, ‘nigger’, makes its way into the book about 219 times. Today, at least, this literally spells trouble for education and the teaching of and reading of this American classic in public schools. Its meaning in the past has barely changed, but is now considered more offensive than ever. This is something Mark Twain could have never predicted, as well as the public outcry that is such a terrible overreaction.
>>
>>7710531
No. I'm French and we read American shit.
>>
Much Ado About Nothing
>>
>>7710551
Okay, so did you ever read anything French? Do you really not see what I'm getting at?
>>
>>7710564
>>7710122
>>7710001

Some burned-sounding toasts in this bread
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.