[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Fahreinheit 451 and modern society
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 451.jpg (95 KB, 648x1000) Image search: [Google]
451.jpg
95 KB, 648x1000
I have recently read Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and I would like to gather others opinions about the book. I realized that there is a big similarity between how he portrays the future in that time to us today, students only want the quizlet,spark notes, or to even cheat rather than read or learn it all themselves. comment what you think
>>
Shit book, bad prose, boring plot into le dystopian garbage pile it goes. Sage.
>>
Students do this shit because college is such a fucking joke nowadays, it's purely focused on idiotic performance metrics that cannot truly capture excellence.

When you create a game that tells its players "get your score as high as possible!", you can't be mad at players for doing that. And that is what college has become, a center for 'job training', getting your stupid piece of paper then going into the labor force to become a drone with your great liberal education.

it's really sad, if you give even a little bit of a fuck in undergrad you are better than 99% of people there. I had professors offer me TA positions out of the blue just for actually talking about things that weren't regurgitated from the class readings.
>>
>>7709800
Read "Industrial Society and Its Future" if you want something better on a similar topic.
>>
>>7709800
It's not THE novel about intellectual decay. Someone more relevant than Bradbury can achieve such a thing.
>>
>>7709828
I'm not just the idea of comparing high school to college, I don't care that you learn seemingly useless information, the more the better, Im asking as to why people do this and what we should do about it
>>
>>7709842
Who is it by?
>>
>>7709824
I know its a fucking stupid plot but the author made some pretty good predictions of how people are today and makes some good points
>>
>>7709859
Theodore J. Kaczynski
>>
>>7709828
I reread what you commented and I take back my comment, except for the question of how to change this fucked up system
>>
>>7709876
He didn't make any predictions. The cycle of educational decay has been noted in Greek, Chinese, and Arab civilization. Bradbury didn't do anything special with his spin on it.
>>
>>7709918
I agree, but still, the ideas of how modern people think and do things currently is my most important topic that i want to discuss
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.