[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I want to be a writer but I can't take novel writing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: 1455562287423.jpg (15 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
1455562287423.jpg
15 KB, 320x290
So, I want to be a writer but I can't take novel writing classes at my college because I can only take classes for my bachelor in English. Can I improve myself to become a self-taught writer? I've taken a creative writing class that was a requirement before.
>>
>>7709720
You can teach yourself, yes. None of the things you'd learn in a writing class or workshop are that valuable or irreplaceable.
>>
Just know how to do the structure and don't sperg like saramago
You'll be fine
>>
File: mobile-16945-1376321175-6.jpg (41 KB, 590x871) Image search: [Google]
mobile-16945-1376321175-6.jpg
41 KB, 590x871
Write every day. Every damn day. For years.
>>
Piggybacking with another question, is there a good way to get writing prompts? Not something shitty like "where were you when x" or "describe something meaningful," more prompts that will allow me to explore writing styles instead of narratives or subjects
>>
>>7709720
You're never going to write for money. Become a religious person, and take long excursions, alone, into the wilderness. Find pleasure in forbidden sexual practices.
>>
>>7709720
There is only one way to become a writer:

Read a lot of books and write a lot of books.

Then kill yourself. Instant fame.
>>
>>7711321
2/10.
Good spelling, tho.
>>
File: tumblr_nb67atFzGU1rhwsi1o1_500.png (218 KB, 441x332) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nb67atFzGU1rhwsi1o1_500.png
218 KB, 441x332
>>7709720
all you need is motivation. scratch that, discipline. there are hundreds of free online resources capable of giving you whatever you'd get out of a writing class and more. if you want some kind of peer sharing writing group thing, there's tons of those as well.
theres free lectures online, there's tips from great novelists that you can find..seriously. just make yourself do it if you really want to be a great writer.
already been mentioned, but you also need to practice every day. study form and structure, figure out what kind of writing you like best and what kind of writer you want to be. don't just consume books, analyze them as you're reading them.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.