[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Americans rename Harry Potter and the Philosopher's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1
>Americans rename Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone to "Sorcerer's Stone"

Does this mean philosophy class in America is sorcery class?
>>
>>7709124
No it means that American children are less likely to catch the reference to alchemy.
>>
sorcerer is a cool word for chads and philosopher is a boring word for big gay nerds
>>
>>7709166
Sorcerers and philosophers are both pretty gay, warlock, on the other hand, sounds similar to warlord, and doesn't strike the image of faggy fat men in pointy hats as much as wizard does.
>>
>>7709124
Most Americans don't even know what philosophy is.
>>
>>7709124
For americans philosophy is sorcery, some spooky shit european wizards do with their mind.
>>
>>7709186

>some spooky shit european wizards do with their mind.

Think?
>>
>>7709124
JK Rowling ended up regretting the change. The publishers thought American children were too retarded to know what philosophy is.
They were probably right tho.
>>
>>7709124
>Does this mean philosophy class in America is sorcery class?

Yes

t.sorcery major
>>
Damnit, /lit/ can hate these books all they want, but seriously, no book, tv or film has ever given me the emotional pull I got from reading the Half-Blood Prince. Dumbledore's death is tragic enough, but the pure mix of hate, sadness and disbelief I felt when the Locket turned out to be a fake was unprecedented, and is still unmatched today.
>>
>>7709202
Ya that's the joke he was making you stupid American
>>
>>7709455
Are you a woman? Be honest.

>emotional pull
>>
>>7709455
you must not be very smart
>>
>>7709124
I went to the Yale University bookstore and bought and read a copy of "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone." I suffered a great deal in the process. The writing was dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs." I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing.

But when I wrote that in a newspaper, I was denounced. I was told that children would now read only J.K. Rowling, and I was asked whether that wasn't, after all, better than reading nothing at all? If Rowling was what it took to make them pick up a book, wasn't that a good thing?

It is not. "Harry Potter" will not lead our children on to Kipling's "Just So Stories" or his "Jungle Book." It will not lead them to Thurber's "Thirteen Clocks" or Kenneth Grahame's "Wind in the Willows" or Lewis Carroll's "Alice."

Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Our society and our literature and our culture are being dumbed down, and the causes are very complex. I'm 73 years old. In a lifetime of teaching English, I've seen the study of literature debased. There's very little authentic study of the humanities remaining. My research assistant came to me two years ago saying she'd been in a seminar in which the teacher spent two hours saying that Walt Whitman was a racist. This isn't even good nonsense. It's insufferable.
>>
>>7709471
http://articles.latimes.com/2003/sep/19/opinion/oe-bloom19
>>
>>7709471
I am not quite sure about harry potter,
i kinda like it, you dont have to think when you read something like that, it just dribbles into your brain. that can be very relaxing.
>>
>>7709462
Indeed. wanna eat me out?
>>
>>7709124
It was probably a (failed) preemptive attempt at getting it to fly under the radar of retarded fundamentalist Christians who think all references to magic (and presumably alchemy) are satanic.

Also there's a joke about how philosophy might as well be sorcery to most Americans somewhere in there. Though it has nothing to do with Philosophy because it wasn't Georg Hegel and the Phenomenologist's Stone.
>>
>>7709899
London.
>>
>>7709471
Muh Canonigga <3
>>
>>7709511
they're good books to read before going to sleep
>>
>>7709124
Well many of them do still believe in Christianity and Jesus and so on, so magic powers and sorcery isn't too far from it.
>>
>>7710085
>Well many of them do still believe in Evangelical Protestantism

ftfy
>>
>>7710090
Magic sky sorcerer, whatever.
>>
Americans don't have a philosophy class you dingus. we're in too much of a hurry to cram literally every single possible moment of even the slightest import of our 200 years of being nation down our children's throats in history class.
>>
>>7709471
lmao, King BTFO
>>
>>7709177
Then what do they call it?
>>
>>7711204
It's hard to hear exactly what they call it over the howls of "BURN THE WITCH!"
>>
>>7711204
Anon just said they don't know what it is. Why would they have a name for a concept they're unaware of?
>>
>>7709477
Muh Cannonigga <3
>>
>>7709477
beautiful
>>
>>7709471
>He was not being ironic

I thought ironic as a state of being/action was just a 4chan meme
>>
I read from wikipedia that in the burger version, muggles are called "no-majs". Is this true? Because oh wow
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.