[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are there any good books on how societies become 'evil'
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1436384266838.jpg (225 KB, 837x673) Image search: [Google]
1436384266838.jpg
225 KB, 837x673
Are there any good books on how societies become 'evil' and why they war each other?
>>
:-)
>>
protocols of the elders of zion?
>>
>>7708188
maybe something like brave new world, 1984, animal farm, farenheit 451 -not really war but more like a conflict in a distopia!
>>
OP here, to clarify I mean like how you take a country from like the UK in 2016 where people bin their butter knives to 1930s Japan where people have baby-stabbing competitions.
>>
>>7708210
see
>>7708192

Fukuyama actually addresses 30s Japan as what happens when you give a single institution (the military) too much power and dont have adequate checks and balances.
>>
>>7708240
So if the US had military rule they'd be like that?

Also I read that Fukuyama supported the invasion of Iraq at least before he had hindsight. There's no chance he's a neocon shill? I thought smarty people would know they were using 9/11 as a blank cheque to take out shia countries based on american ignorance.
>>
>>7708268
contrary to popular belief, it wasn't only neo-cons and establishment shills who supported the overthrow of Saddam.
>>
>>7708268
Fukuyama was basically a neocon before he realised how retarded they all were in the decade 2000-2010 (like most sane people). Now, like most sane people, he's kind of stuck without any coherent ideas, but he has some interesting things to say nonetheless.
>>
>>7708268
Fukuyama believes that every country should be like Denmark. At first he thought we could accomplish that through armed intervention against despots, but now he only thinks its possible through institutional reform that is ongoing, whether the example is Nigeria or the US.

Props to a guy who can shift his whole position when showed the folly of it though.
>>
>>7708307
Saddam was a terrible dictator who had been supported by the US. His invasion of Kuwait was in any event a terrible, terrible violation of international law, and Saddam should have been removed in '91.

Bush Sr. was a very smart ex-intelligence operator though, and saw that a vacuum in Iraq might be problematic, so he opted to shame and hobble Saddam, and no doubt would have tried to fix the situation if he hadnt oddly lost the election (he had every expectation of winning since the USSR and the Iraq War were wins under his watch, but you cant jack taxes as a republican)

Bush Jr. was not nearly as smart as his daddy, and the people surrounding him were like Fukuyama, people who thought that positive regime change could be effected by military intervention, and anyways, wanted to finish what his father 'started". It had worked in Serbia after all. So after 9/11, when the whole world loved the US (partially clintons doing), they pushed an invasion predicated on supposed imports of uranium from africa (see valerie plame affair) which were indeed false. So after Saddam told Bush 2 to go fuck himself, the public were riled up and there was an invasion.
>>
>>7708326
>It had worked in Serbia after all
"worked" is perhaps too strong a word.
>>
>>7708307
I think you're giving too much credit to the US's strategic capabilities. Even countries like Russia who opposed the invasion believed Iraq probably had WMDs, and the country was jonesing for a fight post-9/11. It was a crazy time in US politics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woLQI8X2R6Y
>>
>>7708336
Are you old enough to remember the first night? Me and my friends were sitting around my buddies garage with beers watching shock and awe. Pretty fucked up.
>>
>>7708341
those strikes killed nobody

people see those pictures today and think the iraq war was just the US carpet bombing cities full of civilians
>>
>>7708346
I believe some janitors died. They were all Saddam's palaces right?
>>
>>7708347
It was some some farm and one person was killed
>>
my diary
>>
File: 1451661142138.png (306 KB, 600x700) Image search: [Google]
1451661142138.png
306 KB, 600x700
>war
>evil
>>
>>7708188

The Camp of the Saints

Plot: The Camp of the Saints is a novel about population migration and its consequences. In Calcutta, India, the Belgian government announces a policy in which Indian babies will be adopted and raised in Belgium. The policy is reversed after the Belgian consulate is inundated with poverty-stricken parents eager to give up their infant children.

An Indian "wise man" then rallies the masses to make an exodus to live in Europe. Most of the story centers on the French Riviera, where almost no one remains except for the military and a few civilians, including a retired professor who has been watching the huge fleet of run-down freighters approaching the French coast.

The story alternates between the French reaction to the mass immigration and the attitude of the immigrants. They have no desire to assimilate into French culture but want the goods that are in short supply in their native India. Although the novel focuses on France, the rest of the West shares its fate.

Near the end of the story the mayor of New York City is made to share Gracie Mansion with three families from Harlem, the Queen of the United Kingdom must agree to have her son marry a Pakistani woman, and only one drunken Soviet soldier stands in the way of thousands of Chinese people as they swarm into Siberia. The one holdout until the end of the novel is Switzerland, but by then international pressure isolating it as a rogue state for not opening its borders forces it to capitulate.

---

Prophetic?
>>
>>7708188
Dune
>>7708205
in all those cases the system is already in place
>>
>>7708588
War is pretty evil. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it. Who ever had a good life without sin?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.