[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>penguin classics for a contemporary autobiography Genius
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 260x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 260x400
>penguin classics for a contemporary autobiography

Genius or absolute madman?
>>
>>7707735
He most likely paid them off.
>>
both

moz always wins
>>
the only book to get the Classics label on its first printing, Moz is hilarious

the book is actually pretty good as far as rock star memoirs go

it's witty and bitchy and occasionally has these bursts of profusive and melodramatic emotion

I knew it was going to be good from the first page where he goes off on this spiel describing how pathetically awful his thoroughly average English upbringing was. There's a bit about babies being "mercifully aborted" and spared the hell of life. Great stuff, classic Morrissey.
>>
>>7707735

Penguin knew they'd easily bag hundreds of thousands of sales so they probably didn't give a fuck.

I'm a fan of his early work - bits of it are good, a lot of it is cringe-tier. I actually lost respect for him (even more so after 8 years of very dull music releases) as a result of reading it as he clearly was too much of a diva to allow a good editor to whip it into shape.
>>
STREETS UPON STREETS UPON STREETS
>>
>>7707735
>2016

>not going to the National
>To the National
>Tooooo the Nationaaaaaal
>Front Disco
>>
File: 1458893463734.jpg (40 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1458893463734.jpg
40 KB, 500x500
>>7707735

>tfw this shit is now an irreplacable part of the western canon and will have to be intenstively studied from now on
>>
>>7708204
THERE'S A COUNTRY
>>
File: enoch was right.png (3 MB, 1544x1080) Image search: [Google]
enoch was right.png
3 MB, 1544x1080
>>7708234
>"b-b-but that song is ironic"

>the chinese are a sub-species
>vote ukip
>>
shame penguin classics are so shittily bound, would've preferred it to have been printed as a modern classic at least for the better binding & paper quality.

i've got it but never got past 40 pages due to getting distracted by other books, i've found it's pretty funny though due to morrissey's bitchy persona when it comes to everything.
>>
>>7707812
>>7708216
I don't know if it actually lived up to sales expectations. You can now reliably buy it for three quid brand new in overstock shops.
>>
>>7708277
>png

my man what are you doing
>>
I hate how he describes his upbringing as if it was some dickensian mythical land of rats and piss. It was just Manchester. Very revealing of his self absorbed un self aware character.
>>
>>7708277

Wait, Morrissey is a UKIP supporter?

Well shit.
>>
>>7709016
He's gone on record saying non Anglos are subhumans
>>
>>7709016
>I like Nigel Farage a great deal. His views are quite logical – especially where Europe is concerned.
>>
>>7708282
>You can now reliably buy it for three quid brand new
Link?
>>
>>7708989
can't imagine '60s manchester being much a hoot, though
>>
>>7709250
I'm talking about inside physical overstock shops
>>
File: penguin halloween.jpg (169 KB, 775x854) Image search: [Google]
penguin halloween.jpg
169 KB, 775x854
>>7707735
Penguin publish all manner of unworthy garbage in the Classics line now (pic related), so including some wanker's new autobiography isn't too much of a step down.
>>
You only made this thread because I posted the cover in that stylized covers thread.

You nigger.
>>
>>7711506
What are you having for dinner tonight? I need meal ideas.
>>
>>7711521
I made myself a large salad out of ALDI salad mix and some sun-dried tomatoes. This was after I made myself a burger and some vegetables. It's not particularly glamorous but it's ok. I would have much preferred to have made a risotto or something like that but I didn't have all the necessary ingredients.
>>
>>7711546

That sounds delicious.
>>
>>7708989
>Very revealing of his self absorbed un self aware character.
I agree but that it what makes it (the book) and him in general so good.
I loved his autobiography but the novel is awful. Like with his songs; as long as he doesn't write about something that is not him, it's great
>>
“The written word is an attempt at completeness when there is no one impatiently awaiting you in a dimly lit bedroom--awaiting your tales of the day, as the healing hands of someone who knew turn to you and touch you, and you lose yourself so completely in another that you are momentarily delivered from yourself. Whispering across the pillow comes a kind voice that might tell you how to get out of certain difficulties, from someone who might mercifully detach you from your complications. When there is no matching of lives, and we live on a strict diet of the self, the most intimate bond can be with the words that we write:

Oh often have I washed and dressed
And what's to show for all my pain?
Let me lie abed and rest:
Ten thousand times I've done my best
And all's to do again.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.