[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here read the Inheritance Cycle? What did you think of it?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: image.png (826 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
image.png
826 KB, 600x900
Anyone here read the Inheritance Cycle? What did you think of it?
>>
Read it when I was younger
Good young adult literature, but still young adult literature
>>
>>7707016
>Cycle
That seems like an awfully pretentious description for a set of YA fantasy books written by a teenage autist.
>>
>>7707016
Bad. I know it's a total /lit/ thing to talk about how even as kids they hated YA, but even as a kid I couldn't stand it, and I enjoyed everything I read when I was young. It's just not even good for YA.
>>
>>7707044
tht's what its called
>>
Anyone notice that the plot is literally starwars? Just replace "dragon rider" with "Jedi". He even has Darth Vader as his father and leaves to raise monk children at the end
>>
>>7707794
Star Wars in itself isn't wholly original though, and borrows from many typical fantasy tropes
So saying Eragon rips of Star Wars is like saying it rips off many more fantasy stories
>>
badly written derivative pseudo-fantasy shit with not ONE original idea in it.

Only written because around the period of the LOTR movies this stuff was selling like hotcakes.
>>
No, but my friend and I went to see Eragon in the theater and I fell asleep.
>>
>>7707806
Eragon contains literally every single fantasy trope. It does rip off many more fantasy stories.
In fact, I doubt there's a single original idea in the entire thing.
I'm saying that as someone who loved them when I was younger.
>>
>>7707016
Irredeemably bad.
>>
Read the first three books when I was a kid and liked them. (The first one had the most variety so it was my favourite.) Recently tried to read the first book again and it was facepalmingly bad. I could've read shit like this on fanfiction.net for free...
>>
>>7707016
read the first two as teenager
kind of liked them, reread them in prep for the third
realize their pretty poorly written and directly steal from other works, which is fine considering the alaming rate in which that happens but he does a very poor job of hiding it
>>
>>7707016
Guarantee this shit wouldn't have been sold if he didn't have connections through his parents.
I seem to remember everyone lauding him as some great writer when it came out but holy fuck its bad. I can believe the rumors that it was written by a book mill because little Christopher was the apple of mommy and daddies eye and wanted to be a famous author.

Not going to lie I am jealous. fuck i wish my parents had bought me a franchise
>>
what the fuck is up with the eyes on the red and gold ones
>>
>>7707806
His dad was a skilled dragonrider/jedi who "went evil" and changed his name, slaughtered all of the other dragon riders / jedi except two: one who grows up to he a wise old hermit and eventual mentor to the boy whose name starts with a B and who's dragon/lightsaber is blue
The other the wise old teacher of all the dragon riders/jedi

The hermit dies towards the end of the first one

Kid goes to learn from older mentor in second but leaves before training can be completed

Evil side turns out to be his dad

He's in love with a princess for the first two

And I never read the other two
>>
Funny story

When the movie came out they had an excerpt from the script in the kids version of time magazine that we had to read on a bimonthly basis
All the kids had to break up into groups to read it
And no one could get through the scene because it was so bad
I kinda tried to tooth it out even though it was cringy bit all the girls eye lauding at it so I gave up
>>
>>7708420
The list is nearly endless.
It doesn't stop following the formula I can tell you that much.
>>
Eragon is everything wrong with modern fantasy and you could write a pretty good fantasy book by just looking at it and doing the complete opposite.
>>
>>7708408
From what I heard, initially they self-published it through a vanity press, then it was discovered by an established novelist's wife nearly a year into their unsuccessful "book tour" and he reccommended it to his own editor at knopf which got it published.

Mostly it was just dumb luck.
>>
Absolute rubbish.
>>
>>7707016

Read the first two when I was younger, and liked them, but could not finish Brisingr because of how cringey it was.
>>
>>7707019
I really recommend you take another look at it before categorizing it as "good". It reads like an autistic girl's middle school fanfiction.
>>
Hack writer who is very pretentious and compares his own prose to Tolkien. Not even Green is that conceited. His parents screen all of his emails and respond aggressively to negative reviews.

Also, his parents were rich and formed their own small publishing company to publish the first book, found a washed-out drunk author to endorse it and get his agent to submit it to a publisher and
>wa la
Eragon was born.

In a way, Paolini is even less legitimate than Stephenie Meyer.
>>
>>7709434
Tolkien is shite though m8. If anything, the fact that he thinks comparing himself to Tolkien is somehow a good thing shows how much of a hack he is.

And really, no one's "legit" these days.
>>
>>7709803

>Tolkien is shite

how so?
>>
>>7707880
>Movies
The movie was so much worse than the books. And just look at the opinions of the books in this thread.

>>7707016
I read them and enjoyed them. That's just me personally. It does rip off star wars, a lot, in basically everything. But I wasn't too mad about that.
I haven't touched them in a while and I'm not going to.
>>
>>7709803
>no one's "legit" these days.

this is a stupid comment, re: concept of legitimacy, don't feel like explaining, i'm sure u understand
>>
>Writing is the heart and soul of my being. It is the means through which I bring my stories to life. There is nothing like putting words on a page and knowing that they will summon certain emotions and reactions from the reader. In my writing, I strive for a lyrical beauty somewhere between Tolkien at his best and Seamus Heaney’s translation of Beowulf.
>Within the pages of this book is a whole land, Alagaësia, for you explore. You may take fancy to Tronjheim, the city-mountain the dwarves have built, or perhaps the mysterious forest Du Weldenvarden. Either way, there are more than enough marvels here for even the most accustomed reader of fantasy.
>Eragon is the culmination of several years of intense labor. When I graduated from high school, I wanted to write a pure, dyed-in-the-wool hero story. So I immediately plotted out a trilogy based on my ideals of the archetypal maturation plot. In retrospect, it might not have been the wisest thing—undertaking such a huge project as my first book—but as they say, you can only learn through doing.
>I hope that Eragon will leave you with the same sense of wonder that I had while writing it. I do believe in magic—the magic of stories to give you wonder, awe, and revelations. Such feelings can come from small things, in a fey vision of fairy dust swirling in marble moonbeams, or at the end of an epic where a wave of emotion washes over you, sweeping away the mundane world for a moment. Either way, I hope that you find something special in Eragon, something from the other side of the looking glass.
t. Mr Paolini :^)
>>
>>7707044
>implying not all books are named "chronicles" or sagas
>>7707016
I did not read any of these. pick up Cycle of arawn
>>
>>7707016
paolini is a meme author. literally genre tier fiction. no discernible talent.
>>
>>7707016
I read them in 8th grade and they never left an impression on me. I don't have any negative feelings about it but these books don't come to mind when I think of "good books". I probably read these to pass the time.
>>
>>7710418
And when I mean read them I mean the first two.
>>
>>7710132
I suddenly want to punch this guy
>>
>>7707016
I'll give you a review of all 4 books.
Eragon: A remedial fantasy that lags horribly in the beginning. Calling it A New Hope with dragons is accurate, beyond the normal hero myth archetype. Deus ex machinas abound.
Eldest: Easily the best of the series. Main character is forced to fucking train. It pays off with some satisfaction only to end with bad guy twist show up and pretty much say "It wasn't enough". It serves it's role as a good middle of a series with battles won and more to come.
Brisingr: Horrible. Eragon goes through a whole book of training only for Paolini to become obsessed with the idea of teamwork. Now Eragon can't do anything on his own. All tension evaporates and character progress becomes nil.
Inheritance: Imagine if the destruction of the second death star happened 2/3 of the way through Return of the Jedi. A lackluster beginning and middle give way to an impotent end and Mary Sue tier characters finally ending up together.
Additional gripes: Roran is the coolest badass ever because Paolini demands it, Plot twist dad change, explanation of poorly fleshed out interesting ideas take up 20% of the books and are never expanded on,
>>
File: image.jpg (142 KB, 480x608) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142 KB, 480x608
>>7707016
it's shit
>>
File: image.jpg (786 KB, 2444x1562) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
786 KB, 2444x1562
>tfw have signed copies of the whole series
>>
I'm gonna spoil the fucking ending
Eragon kills the evil emperor by making him understand all the evil he's done and then he explodes and then for no reason he gets on a boat and leaves the country because LOTR
>>
>>7707019
>>7710845
consider suicide unironically
>>
>>7707016
When I was in the 4th grade I loved the shit out of Eragon, it was probably the most read book in my class at the time. Eldest kind of wore down my enthusiasm, although I'm not sure if that's because of the quality, or because I was simply getting older and reading other things.

I read the last two for nostalgia's sake soon after Inheritance came out. I barely remember what happened in them, except for the scene where the girl who was leader of the empire opposition had to cut up her arm in a ritual face-off or something like that.
>>
>>7710082
>The movie was so much worse than the books.

The RPG adaptation for the game boy was complete shit too. I had the bad luck to get it as a gift and played it a few hours before throwing it away. I can't believe how hard they were trying to mak it the next LoTR or HP.
>>
File: image.jpg (50 KB, 591x553) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
50 KB, 591x553
>>7710870
>tripfag telling others to kill themselves
>>
>>7710904
Truly there is no creature so hypocritical and oblivious as a 4chan tripfag
>>
>>7710904
>>7710925
"you have no taste in literature"

"well u have a name lmao"
>>
>>7711074
Tripfagging on 4chan is a sign of either trolling, or of stupendous ignorance, narcissism, and obliviousness to the purpose of this site, and if you tolerate it you are cancer. This has nothing to do with Eragon being shit and everything to do with reminding tripfags that they are pathetic attentionwhores who make 4chan a little worse with every single post they make.
>>
>>7711140
Not the other guy, but I'm a tripfag, and holy shit, you need to get over yourself, lol.
>>
>>7710904
why do you generalize "tripfags"
>>
>>7707016
i think Eragon sold well b/c it had a sick dragon on the cover. i know that's why i got it.
>>
>>7711361
Tripfag is not a general term. It is a brand applied to attentionwhores who wear their name and code around because their actual content does not draw the attention they desire, so instead they build an identity to garner praise and hatred regardless of what mediocre drivel they spout, often because they are so maladapted that they prefer negative attention to no attention, a common behavior among those who grew up with neglectful and/or abusive parents, but not a productive one either for their own mental health or the quality of 4chan.

There are legitimate uses of tripcodes, primarily on content forming boards when people with to claim ownership of material without linking to external sites.

Dragging a name around 4chan for no reason is like strapping a rotten cat to your head and then entering a library for attention. And doing so every day, because you don't really know enough about books to talk about them, but that's okay- you can just be 'dead cat man' and get attention that way, without putting in any actual effort or reading any books.
>>
>>7710898
On PS2 the game was actually stronger than the movie. Not great though, just standard hack and slash adventure.
>>
>>7711443
it's useful sometimes for distinguishing content. but on slower boards like this people can identify you by your style of writing.

then there are useful content forming boards elsewhere where getting an authoritative answer from a God Mod is actually really helpful and helps to distinguish from the bunch of bullshit solutions offered by casual posters.

but yeah, on 4chan you get attention by posting quality, not from follower or post count or whatever bullshit. tripfagging is the cancer of most boards where a good solution or answer will get laughed out for not being a canon answer of the culture of the board.
>>
>>7707016
>Erashit
>>
>>7711538
This isn't clever in the slightest
>>
>>7712703
How about "Fecalflush"?
>>
>>7707084
What does that mean? What distinguishes a cycle from a series from a saga? Did it end where it began?
>>
>>7707016
It's fun to escape into this world, even if it has mountains of faults.

Sometimes lowering your standards makes the world simpler, sweeter and less scary, desu.
>>
File: 1453385984937.png (296 KB, 649x649) Image search: [Google]
1453385984937.png
296 KB, 649x649
>>7712803

>it's fun to willingly become retarded in order to enjoy objective shit
>>
>>7712814
yeah, it's like watching adam sandler or playing a video game from your childhood
>>
When I was young I read it.

Even then I knew it was a blatant starwars copy.
>>
>>7707016
I found it had a world that was very easy to slip in to, and very engrossing.

I read it in highschool, well after it was written, so I knew going in that it was unoriginal garbage published by a rich brat's parents. Like a good T.V. show, it was entertaining and kept me intrigued. Parts that required more literary prowess, especially relating to the main character, might have been crap (the human-elf transformation pseudo-buddhism comes to mind), but the various aspects of the world, eccentric characters, and consistent high stakes / reward, made it a lot of fun.
>>
File: 101097891.jpg (21 KB, 462x406) Image search: [Google]
101097891.jpg
21 KB, 462x406
>>7712824
>watching adam sandler or playing video games from your childhood
100% retarded
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.