[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw i'm giving a speech/presentation on postmodernism
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3
File: funny black guy.jpg (17 KB, 294x297) Image search: [Google]
funny black guy.jpg
17 KB, 294x297
>tfw i'm giving a speech/presentation on postmodernism at a liberal arts college and i have total control over the whole project
where do i even start? who would you consider to be the first postmodern author?
>>
>>7706530
James Joyce, because calling Finnegans Wake modernist or "high" modernist makes no sense in the context of what every other modernist was doing.
>>
The Tristan Shandy guy. But don't say that. Just say Joyce and let em fuck themselves.
>>
everyone knows this is nietszche u plebber
>>
>>7706547
joyce was high modernism ya dingus
>>
>>7706530
Don Quixote is considered the first foundation post modernism was based off of
>>
>>7706530
talk about toilets for the entire presentation. It would be a very meta postmodern treatise on postmodernism
>>
>>7706572
oh wow, i wasn't aware of this. thanks! i'll look more into it
>>
>>7706549
He wasn't truly a postmodern, but he created the philosophical environment where postmodernism was allowed to grow when he destroyed the philosophical foundations of western civilization. But western civilization largely didn't realize that it was a dead man walking. Some scholars, like Heidegger, came to understand the full implications of Nietzsche's work, but the west continued on as it always had for another ~30 years after he went insane.

Then came WWI, which laid bare the cracks in Western civilization that Nietzsche had identified. His popularity skyrocketed.

Then Hitler, who was obsessed with a shitty interpretation of Nietzsche, forced open the cracks and destroyed the west about half a century later.

Nietzsche's association with Hitler poisoned his name to most of the plebs. Kaufmann rehabilitated him in the early 60s' and his ideas became core to western counterculture.

Nietzsche's spirit will continue to haunt us and topple any philosophical or intellectual edifice we construct until someone can complete his work and forms a truly naturalistic basis for a system of values.
>>
>>7706574
"I don't get it so it must be jibber jabber"
Nope.
>>
>>7706572
Don Quixote is also considered the first novel. You might want to have a point of reference in the 20th cent. and then refer back to DQ
>>
>>7706620

>postmodernism is nuanced

this is what e/lit/ists actually believe
>>
Just to preface I don't know shit about postmodernism. Can someone give me the TL;DR? When I think of postmodern art I think of toilets and shit. Is postmodernism basically just the cultural reaction to the death of objective meaning?
Apologies for being such a pleb, ive just never seen it pinned down concisely
>>
>>7706530
Ezra Pound
>>
>>7707121
I know you're just shitposting but postmodernism as a movement is a reaction to WWII as a perceived consequence of the Apollonian tendencies of modernity which are thought to have been developed into fascism.
>>
>>7707153
And Dionysians can fuck right off
>>
>>7707153
That's not what postmodernism is you fuck. Can't you even take the time to wikipedia it
>>
>>7706530
Kierkegaards emphasis on irony serves as a starting point for post-modern attitudes.

>>7707121
post modernism is simply a descriptor of the state of affairs in advanced capitalist economies. literally "after"-modernism. Modernism being the period of philosophical enquiry stretching from Descartes to Wittgenstein
>>
>>7707171
Athenian here. apollo is a shitty knockoff god and deplhi. the apollo/dionysus dichotomy is a framework for people unable to appreciate the full beauty of theatre.

ἀρετή
>>
>>7707245
fuck

was going to say that delphi was overrated but i don't really have anything to stand on now
>>
First pomo would probably be Gaddis or Hawkes, not memeing
>>
>>7707348
Hawkes came out with The Cannibal years before Gaddis came out with The Recognitions so it was Hawkes.
>>
Don't go to class. Take the F. Dropout create an internet startup. Make a shitty Candy Crush knock off game. Never read abooks except Oprah /Deepak shit. Get mad pussy. Chill.
>>
>>7707396
DUDE
>>
>>7707396
This is the most postmodern thing in the thread.
>>
>>7706530
Your presentation should last only one second and your entire speech should be:

>It's shit.
>>
>>7707452
it's the most 2012 white college liberal confusedly understanding underclass black culture approximation of post-modernism i will give you that.
>>
>>7706545
but he's not postmodern
>>
>>7707121
'toilets and shit' is more modern than anything. modernism tests the limits of a medium. postmodernism uses sources outside the medium to inform the art and in turn comments on those sources, mostly mass media.
>>
>>7707515
i swear 2012 isn't over
>>
>>7707580
how can it be over when 2009 has yet to begin??
>>
Beckett kind of blurred the lines between modernism and post-modernism
>>
>>7706596
That's awfully dramatic, anon.
>>
File: polish philosopher.jpg (80 KB, 398x700) Image search: [Google]
polish philosopher.jpg
80 KB, 398x700
>>7707634
Dramatic is the only appropriate way to talk about Nietzsche desu.
>>
>>7706620
>Its prose is post-modern so its not jibber-jabber
>>
File: images.jpg (25 KB, 379x588) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
25 KB, 379x588
>>7706545
>>7706545
>>7706545
>>7706545
>>7706545
hahahhahahahhaha you fucking retardo
it was John Hawkes. he's sort of a link between modernism and postmodernism
>>
>>7706572
nigga DQ is metafictional but point to me how else it's pomo. If DQ is pomo because it's metafictional then so too is Hamlet.

>>7707631
Beckett's an alright example but you'd have to point to pieces of his work in particular.

A better building block, OP, would be to look at Borges' Pierre Menard. Now, going back to >>7706572 DQ could be considered a first foundation given that it is the central text in the story, but I believe this is for Spanish literary tradition reasons rather than any inherently pomo tendencies DQ may have.
>>
>>7707549
thats the most incorrect definition of modernism/pomo ever, where do these plebs come from, shit
>>
>>7706530
Postmodernism isn't a real thing.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.