[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need you guys to give me some redeeming qualities about the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4
File: CANCER.jpg (110 KB, 658x1002) Image search: [Google]
CANCER.jpg
110 KB, 658x1002
I need you guys to give me some redeeming qualities about the Song of Ice and Fire series. Here's my 2c

>Read first book
Awesome world, awesome backstory. Honor and dignity, family and honor. Love thy neighbor... no wait...
>Read second book
Yeah fuck all that other stuff, every man for himself... with honor
>Read third book
No honor, lets kill the main characters
>Read fourth book
Lets talk about the least honorable people in the story
>Read fifth book
Everybody who hasn't stubbed their toe now has, all is for naught.

Can you guys tell me a character who hasn't undergone atrocities/10 chapters of talking about pointless bullshit? Or how about one that has actually done something meaningful without some sort of twist that makes it not meaningful? This spiral of meaninglessness is really making me queasy.
>>
I dropped it after the cliffhanger to the third book (the one with zombie Caytlin or some stupid af shit like that.)

Thankfully, I dropped the tv show after season 2.
>>
>>7706399
Hordor?
>>
File: hodor.png (200 KB, 400x347) Image search: [Google]
hodor.png
200 KB, 400x347
>>7706430

>Be 7'11 swole af
>A little bit simple but you know how things go
>Have to carry around cripple boy for 5 books
>MFW I'm the most redeeming character in the story
>>
That there won't be any more since the fat fuck author will likely die before he completes the next book?
>>
File: balcony.jpg (1 MB, 2304x1728) Image search: [Google]
balcony.jpg
1 MB, 2304x1728
>>7706454
>iktfb
>>
>>7706467
I'm not one for wishing horrible things on other people. But for a guy who likes to bait his audience I wouldn't mind if something happened to prevent him from ever writing again
>>
File: Thomas_Denmarkwinteriscoming.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
Thomas_Denmarkwinteriscoming.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>7706399
Stannis? Possibly Rickon.

The whole series is a deconstruction of medieval politics, such as the War of the Roses. The chivalry of the nobility is lost to their barbarism in war and it's all ultimately pointless in the face the oncoming death that are The Others.

>dat ADWD prologue
>they see me
>>
>>7706509
I feel that if GRRM went totally political this story would be fucking amazing. Focusing on the characters within the wheel. But instead he throws in all this hubub between.

I think it's really telling that the most interesting part about book 5 is the prologue that doesn't include any main characters
>>
>>7706543
I thought the Bran stuff was the most interesting. THE LORE has always pulled me in.

Four and Five are the regrouping books; everyone is trying to reassess and rebuild. They're hard to read if you're not seriously invested in the characters to begin with, but they are necessary.
>>
>>7706562
I've lost investment in the characters after reading books 4 and 5. The intermittent lore is not enough anymore to hold this story up for me. It almost feels like GRRM's going "Hey I know it's boring now, but just you wait!" The only way WoW will be worth reading is if

>Dany at least sacks one city in Westeros with her dragons
>15% of the book is white walkers
>The prince that as promised is revealed
>All the kings landing BS wraps up
>Bran becomes mastur wizerd

If none of that happens this series will go from a 7/10 to a 5-6/10 for me
>>
>>7706562

Yeah I feel like 4 and 5 only seem as shit as they do because of the ridiculous wait time between each book.

1, 2 and 3 were all just fine and all lead up to Robb's death and this just basically blows everything the fuck out its a calamity, Tywin dies fucking wut.

Then 4 and 5 is just the fallout, the aftermath and really necessary to slowly set everything in motion. I'm expecting big things in TWOW.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.