[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Penguin classics quality
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: moby-dick.jpg (13 KB, 201x317) Image search: [Google]
moby-dick.jpg
13 KB, 201x317
How are Penguin? Theyre really popular but I remember reading here that theyre quality (lots of typos, missing sentence s) is shoddy

Is their MD release good?
>>
Penguin books are cheap because they are shit. Norton Critical Editions or Oxford World Classics whenever possible.
>>
>>7705678
Really, if you stick to the well known classics, they really are fine. /lit/ just hates what is popular. I prefer Oxford, Cambridge (if possible) and Everyman, but if Penguin is the cheapest? I don't mind.

And for Moby Dick, it's difficult to mess that up. It was written in English. Criticism is usually levelled against it for the translations used and typos in them.
>>
>>7705696
Oxford World Classics are pretty much exactly the same price in most cases though.
>>
>>7705702
Not sure why you took the bait. Like most here, he probably rarely reads and spouts shite like the American child he is.
>>
>>7705702
Same price but not shitty. Have fun reading good books, a.non.!
>>
>>7705678
If it's not a translation or that one edition of Gravity's Rainbow, they're ok. Not the best, but acceptable for most things. I have no idea about their editions of Moby Dick though.
>>
>>7705702

Nortons are cheap too, depending on the country (in UK they are cheaper than in the States, dunno why). Also, one should get the Norton if available instead of the Oxford. Oxfords are good but soemtimes I feel they are lacking when compared to the Norton editions or even the Hacketts. They are quite unexpensive tho, and have nice covers, so that's a plus. They're also aesthetic af brah
>>
>>7705797
>that one edition of Gravity's Rainbow
http://www.abebooks.com/9780143039945/Gravitys-Rainbow-Penguin-Classics-Deluxe-0143039946/plp

This?
>>
>>7705702
OWC are made with cheaper paper and their spines break easier than Penguin editions.

Generally Nortons have better auxiliary content that aids understanding of the book.
>>
>>7705813
Yes, that. That's the one to avoid. The 1996 Blueprint cover one is ok though.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.