[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
People who do not appreciate books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1
File: joyce.jpg (231 KB, 940x635) Image search: [Google]
joyce.jpg
231 KB, 940x635
Help me, /lit/
How do you deal with people who are not into literature or art in general, going so far as to disregard both? In daily life you can just ignore it, but how shall one establish emotional closeness to someone who neither cares about nor understands something which has become such a great part of my personality? I want to love her, /lit/, but what am I supposed to love if she only reads stuff that is worse than genre fiction and lacks any redeeming features? Maybe I am too elitist, but it is not the lack of taste which disturbs me but rather the fact that I consider the pursuit of truth in art to be the only worthy characteristic of humanity. What else am I supposed to love, after all?
>>
>>7705575
If she disappoints you on something as general as literature, you might as well ditch her. Shit won't last man.
>>
>>7705575
Stop trying to change people, it will only frustrate you, and it's not really your place anyways.
>>
>>7705575
If you like her you like her. It's not like you're some kind of aesthetic genius. That art has become the greater part of one's personality is something we all would like to believe, though it's really just horseshit.

You're not elitist, just some kid.
>>
>>7705585
Well he does have the option to change people, but the bitch he's describing doesn't even seem to have an internal drive towards seeking higher pursuits. Women who read Ayn Rand can still be changed for the better, but it's hard, but sometimes worthwhile. However, if there's nothing going on in her head, there's nothing to work with.
>>
It is not only her. I know like what, five people who have an actual interest in the human condition and our (in)ability to express it. (Sure enough the 'patricians' of this board do, but there might be some sensible people here.) It is the reason for the distance I feel, and at this point I am willing to further increase the distance. This cannot be normal.
>>
>>7705601
*(Sure enough they do not)
>>
There is no loss on my part, how they live is not my call
Eventually we will all hunger for something that something else cannot replace
>>
>>7705601
It's fucked up that you believe yourself to have any interest in the human condition, when you don't lay any effort into trying to get to know and tolerate people with different outlooks on life than your own.
>>
>>7705600
>nothing going in her head

I know plenty of STEM females that are obviously smart, but decompress in other ways, like art, alcohol, their phones, shitty tv, obsessing over their children, eating unhealthy food and talking shit about their friends and coworkers.

I know plenty of women who read, but none that could post what they read here and expect anything but vitriol.
>>
>>7705620
Thanks, I appreciate the honesty. I have tried getting as close as possible without risking emotional damage. And this is not the first time. But I never find anything that is able to fascinate me. Just work and products of the culture industry to forget said work. My inability to appreciate people because of this is supposed to be topic of this thread.
>>
art is for useless faggots
>>
>>7705575
my gf doesn't read nor any of my friends do. you gonna be ok, bro. I wish I had someone to talk about lit, but I can cope with it by reading other peoples opinion in blogs, goodreads, here and etc
>>
>>7705575
Offer to read books with her. Like your own book club. Let her pick one, then you pick one. Slowly you will make her a patrician.
>>
>>7705575
lmao books are garbage, literally the worst art form
>>
>>7705699
I know this feel
>>
She didn't even look up the authors I mentioned, fuck.
>>
Embrace your differences
Let people be who they are. So she doesnt care about reading outside of twilight and hunger games. Shes no less of a person because of it.
>>
>>7705601
you sound like a pseud. No wonder no one wants discuss anything with you
>>
>>7705666
wise words
>>
>>7705575
You can't do anything but learn to accept that 80 percent of the population is incapable of appreciating art and literature. Learning to accept them for who they are is the only thing you can do.
>>
It's the 21st century. As technology increases and the pacing of life increases as well. Books are obsolete, entirely. I still read them, but they really are becoming irrelevant in the overall look of things. Some people don't bother going back and spending the time and concentration needed to read them. It's not your place to assume superiority over them for it, as society encourages them too.
>>
>>7709617

>being this reasonable on /lit/

pls go
>>
Those damn normies not listening to gregorian chants like me!!!
>>
>>7710804
REEEEEE!
>>
>>7706424
Eat a dick.
>>
>>7705575
Don't ask /lit/.
Everybody here hates books.
>>
>>7709617
If you are telling OP to embrace her stupidity then i think that is a pretty bad advice.

Yes she is. And you are too for being so simplistic.
>>
Lel pseud OP suffering because his superior STEM gf doesn't give a shit about primitive art
>>
>>7711814
Fuck, you are primitive.
>>
>>7705575
He was more handsome than i thought
>>
>>7705699
You are actually afraid that literary friends would be better and wiser than you, and confont you; like every faggot in this thread
>>
>>7711887
What? I live in a small city, the only friend I have that reads lives literally 1500km from me. I'm not a vain or arrogant person, I don't worry about being "exposed" as a pleb or less wiser than a friend of mine. Fuck off, f.am
>>
>>7705600
>Well he does have the option to change people

To believe this is to admit that you can be changed by another

And that's pathetic
>>
I'm that person, I don't understand how people in modern time can like art.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.