[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Asatru
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: wodenss.png (41 KB, 210x320) Image search: [Google]
wodenss.png
41 KB, 210x320
I am looking for some essential books talking about European paganism. "Asatru" and "seidr", things of that subject. I know that with Wiccans and what not, the term "pagan" is very broad.
I just want to learn about the philosophy and religion of my ancient ancestors, I don't want to read about Wicca or any other modern fabricated bullshit. Where should I start reading?
>>
>>7704768
Adolf Hitler the Last Airbender by some crazy spic faggot. its good
>>
probably Reflections on European Mythology and Polytheism
>>
>>7704768

Just read the Eddas and sagas and all that.
>>
>>7704768
Read the poetic edda if you want to get stories and interactions between the gods directly. Read the prose edda if you want some idea of the way nordic poets worked. Haven't read the prose one but the poetic one in icelandic is vague as hell since most of the words are archaic and hard to understand. For clarification, Ásatrú literally means the belief in Ásir, another name of the gods. Seidur is a synonym for Galdur which means hexing/magic.

If you want a better grasp on the gods themself, I guess some kind of compilation of the norse mythology with explanations of their background stories. There are a lot of these available and are probably the best introductory source.

I have no idea where to go if you are into those galdrastafir, rúnir or the ritualistic aspects of the worship to the individual gods, but from what I gather it was rather similar to what happened with the pagan gods in southern europe and even the Mediterrean with Isis and other idolatry worship.

Only read the sagas if you are interested in the stories of medieval nordics and seafaring warriors, there is relatively little substance on the worship itself unless maybe mentioning some bits of rituals they came up with or what idols some leaders looked to when going to battle.
>>
>>7704782
One of my favorite books, but he's nuts.
>>
>>7705144
>Sagas

Not contradicting you, because you were only refering to aspects of worship and rituals, but
there's great wisdom in the sagas. Wisdom that is timeless and thus extremely relevant for people of European descent, today and always.

One example, the Nibelungenlied (Wagner's rendition too) has proved prophetic.

Lecture on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jkrt5_Vidc
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.