[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is fundamental /kantcore/? Who's his best translator?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: kunt.jpg (5 KB, 294x171) Image search: [Google]
kunt.jpg
5 KB, 294x171
What is fundamental /kantcore/?
Who's his best translator?
>>
prolegomena and anything by Cambridge
>>
Learn german, you will always miss out on smth when reading translations.
>>
>>7704091
This is your best bet if you're an English friend, ideally you'll take a course with a dedicated Kant scholar teaching

>>7704104
This is your best bet for a full, comprehensive, solo study. The philosophical systems of those rooted in German (i.e. Kant, Hegel, Heidegger) owe a great debt to the malleability of their language and to really appreciate it you need to at least reach for a similar understanding.
>>
C/lit/ told me Hegel first
>>
>>7704123
If you want to approach Hegel you need to know Kant like the back of your hand so I don't know what sort of memester told you that
>>
>>7704130
>tfw I trust /lit/ this one time and they meme me with a passion
How come reading creates so many jerks
>>
>>7704133

the lit sticky guide to philosophy is pretty solid
>>
>>7704115
I'm not really seeking a comprehensive study, I know the general details of his philosophy. I have a general idea of where I'll disagree with him, but I want a little insight into his methodology.

It is unfortunate that I don't know German. I'm dyslexic so this is basically impossible for me, I've overcome it in English and now read proficiently but in Latin and Spanish, I take 30 minutes to read one page of most texts.
>>
>>7703935
Fundamental Kant-core would be the classic Plato/Aristotle readings as well as a good understanding of his Modern influences (specifically Descartes and Leibniz in the rational camp and Berleley and Hume in the empiricist camp)

After that just dive right into reputable translations of the Prologemena and the Critique of Pure Reason. If you're familiar with the philosophers I've mentioned it should be pretty easy going (relatively, Kant was a pretty bad writer and he definitely needed an editor (he acknowledged this himself in the intro) but if you push through it and become familiar with his terminology I promise the ideas underlying the dry prose are more than worth it)

Godspeed anon
>>
>>7704164
eh? i don't see it
>>
>>7705502
>Kant
>easy going
Pick one
>>
>>7705599
>I also remember my philosophy course where the professor, smiling with pity and compassion, explained the doctrines of "poor" Kant, who was so lamentably deceived in his metaphysical reasoning. We took notes frantically, because in the next class the professor often called on a student and demanded: "Refute Kant for me!" If (he student had learned his lesson well, he could do it in two minutes.

Jesuit "high school" education.
>>
>>7705599
>ignoring the "relatively" before "easy going"
>>
File: 1406751995178.gif (857 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1406751995178.gif
857 KB, 320x240
>>7705690
Poor Kant
>>
>>7704164
>>7705581
Someone should post the 11 philosophy charts. Those are always helpful.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 1931x2993) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 1931x2993
>>7705690

Where they probably judged "refutations" by assuming the truth of some kind of Scholasticism like Aquinas or Suarez - as if Kant wouldn't be an equal contender.

Amusing anecdote though.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.