[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this. It wasn't bad, but "the greatest
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: dewn.jpg (71 KB, 426x638) Image search: [Google]
dewn.jpg
71 KB, 426x638
Just finished this. It wasn't bad, but "the greatest sci-fi epic ever?" Really? It read like a YA novel in a lot of parts.
>>
It's overrated by sci-fi nerds because you're supposed to be awed by the amazing detailed world-buildings but normal readers don't give a shit about that and see it as a generic buy becomes hero fantasy novel.
>>
very few hardcore sci fi readers (emphasis readers - not generic "i like all things sci/fi fantasy aka i watch game of thrones) would consider dune the end all be all sci fi epic. it ranks highly for many people, and sure some consider it a favorite, but "the greatest sci-fi epic ever" is a title that gets slapped on every single book cover possible by publishers
>>
>>7703800
It was written in 1965 back then almost none good sci fi existed
>>
I remember being really frustrated with how much detail was put into describing how the world worked but so little describing what it looked like, so I was fascinated but had no idea what the fuck one of these ornithopters or something looked like

I enjoyed it but it put me off a bit. I'll reread it eventually and see if my opinions changed. I generally don't read much scifi or fantasy but am open minded to it.
>>
>>7703800
Hyperion is better. I mean come on.
>>
>>7703800

What exactly does the word 'epic' indicate here? Things like 'scale' or 'world-building'? Because from a certain perspective 'greatest sci-fi epic ever' is totally valid even though Dune isn't remotely the best SF to a lot of people.
>>
>>7703869
It's called using your imagination you fucking clod.
>>
What's science-fiction's crown jewel then?
>>
>>7704273
you're always gonna get debate but i think good candidates are:

book of the new sun
three body trilogy
hyperion cantos (specifically first two books, not endymion books)
foundation (original trilogy, on sheer basis of influence/impact)

these choices are specifically taken with "epicness" of scale and scope in mind. otherwise you have works like

left hand of darkness
childhood's end
canticle for leibowitz
roadside picnic
solaris

in contention as well

and im sure i missed a bunch these are just off the top of my head
>>
>>7703800
its a meme you dip, it was the evangelion of scifi.
>>
>>7704284
oh just to clarify dune ranks very very highly as well, but the fact that it's unfinished + uneven means it's hard to place it as the very top for myself, and i think for many tohers
>>
>>7704292
I thought Evangelion was the Evangelion of scifi
>>
I tell you what the audio book was amazing!
>>
i agree the planet was great but the book sucked ass
>>
Yeah, I really hated Dune. It's about time for me to give it a second read though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.