[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ASOIAF
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (271 KB, 850x651) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
271 KB, 850x651
I haven't seen a thread about this series. /lit/'s opinion?
>>
File: 1455203404765.jpg (45 KB, 625x469) Image search: [Google]
1455203404765.jpg
45 KB, 625x469
>>7702949
Well, if you told me you were drowning
I would not lend a hand
I've seen your face before my friend
But I don't know if you know who I am
Well, I was there and I saw what you did
I saw it with my own two eyes
So you can wipe off that grin,
I know where you've been
It's all been a pack of lies

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
Well, I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord
And I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord, oh Lord

Well I remember, I remember don't worry
How could I ever forget,
It's the first time, the last time we ever met
But I know the reason why you keep your silence up,
No you don't fool me
The hurt doesn't show
But the pain still grows
It's no stranger to you and me

And I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
Well, I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord
But I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it coming in the air tonight, oh Lord
But I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord
I can feel it in the air tonight, oh Lord, oh Lord, oh Lord
But I've been waiting for this moment for all my life, oh Lord, oh Lord.
>>
>>7702949
we try to hound those who post about it out of here asap
btw kinda gay how much that map looks like the aegean
>>
>>7702949
overrated but good fantasy. turns to shit in book 4.
>>
The writing is mediocre and tends to drag on with pointless descriptions and detail where it is not needed.
Characters die faster than they can be replaced, and it's the boring ones not doing much that have stayed alive.
World building should never end in a fantasy series but in the last two novels Brandon and Arya, the with the most need for exploration got barely 8 chapters between them. Not to mention Catelyn and the brotherhood.

Malazan did a better job. Erikson introduced new characters each book and they were always interesting. However he too let the original plot wane by giving too little time to the initial characters.
>>
>>7703024
Exactly.
>>
>>7703024
Malazan is a clusterfuck, and I would not consider any of the characters exquisitely interesting or brilliant.
>>
The first three books are constructed fantastically.

However it's clear that he has no idea where to go after climaxing with the Red Wedding, since that was really what he was building up to all this time. Fourth and Fifth books have their moments but are mostly a drag.

The show is ok but gets worse every season.
>>
I prefer the show tbtruthful
>>
>>7703073
Paran, Tattersail, Karsa and Tool are all very interesting. Especially to start with.
ASOIAF's best character is who? Eddard? He didn't last very long.
>>
>>7703223
Try the dwarf, whose sardonic wit is genuinely fresh in fantasy. I'm aware of some of the cleverer characters of Malazan; they're not particularly original.
>>
>>7703179
Books 4 and 5, in addition to the TV show, are examples of authorial success taking a dump on quality. I can only hope that he took the lesson and takes genuine care into the last books before he dies.
>>
the books are really boring, I stopped at the vale of eerie
>>
>>7703223
Theon
>>
>>7703261
Theon, Davos, Brienne, Jaime, Jon and Sansa

The rest are meh, or were good then dropped in quality like Arya and Tyrion
>>
>>7703179
I agree Dance should have ended with the battles of ice and fire. The editors cut them to be able to churn out cheaper paperbacks.
fuck them
>>
>>7703263
Oh Cerseis were legit too, one of the funnier ones
>>
>>7703241
Haven't heard a word from him since he met Dany. I believe the show jumped ahead on that.
>>7703261
He was really shit. Suffering for the sake of suffering is not entertaining.
>>7703263
Secondary character, secondary character, probably dead, dead, no chapters and really she's overshadowed by Little-finger.
>>7703268
>Cerseis
She's the most stagnant character of the lot. She's been sitting still making shitty decisions and bitching for the entire series.
>>
>>7703272
>thinking Jon is dead
>>
>>7703272
Agreed, Cersei was dull. But I suppose female readers who never had an original thought in their life might be 'empowered' by borrowing from her. Though, even Cersei considered herself a poor imitation of her father.
>>
>>7703272
Theon as a good character, not as pov of the most uplifting chapters
>>
>>7703302
I think that demographic sticks to visual media.
About Cersei, I didn't like the prophecy. I guess we needed to know about Jeyne Westerling's grandma or great grandma and about Melara's murder but I still have mixed feelings...
>>
>>7702949
Geralt of Rivia Saga is better.
>>
>>7702949
>"Hodor", said Hodor.
That's /lit/'s opinion.
>>
>>7702949
Read two of them, third I couldn't take any more and quit. The writing is dry and the characters are endlessly boring. Except for Ned and Bobby, the first book is the only decent one.
>>
I would like to read asoiaf together with /lit/. It would be a good way to find it's merits and faults, since /lit/ is more impartial then the circlejerks that are the asoiaf communities.
Also, hopefully there wouldn't be any lel mance is euron is benjen is daario is rhaegar memes
>>
Why is this board called /lit/erature when stuff like this is allowed?
>>
>>7703526
It's not allowed, newfags and tourists are making these threads. I mean OP isn't even trying to hide it with "I haven't seen a thread about this series".
>>
>>7703533
it's b8
>>
Its a pretty great series, but its bogged down by the autism of its fans and the laziness of its creator.
>>
>>7702949
It's bad; GRRM is bad; and people who like it are bad.
>>
File: asdf.jpg (317 KB, 1500x760) Image search: [Google]
asdf.jpg
317 KB, 1500x760
>>7703469
>>
I think the food descriptions are comfy
>>
>>7703549
I agree that some fans (the most vocal) are annoying as fuck, but that doesn't make the books any worse.
>>
>>7703549
I don't think he's lazy, just a perfectionist. He rewrote a ton because it didn't work in his eyes.
>>
>>7705986
a what?
>>
>>7703526
>>7703533
>a-am i cool yet, /lit/?
>>
>>7702949
>Unkown Lands

Confirmed for Hodor having made this map.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.