[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people consider Koontz to be a knock-off Steven King?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 959357.jpg (34 KB, 248x400) Image search: [Google]
959357.jpg
34 KB, 248x400
Why do people consider Koontz to be a knock-off Steven King? He's a better technical writer than King is and his high points are higher than anything King has done.
>>
>>7702870
Being better than Stephen King isn't exactly a difficult thing to accomplish. So the better question is who even cares?
>>
Bring on the memes.
>look what you've done anon
>>
>>7702876
/lit/ might not think King is good, but millions upon millions of other readers say that he is.

I'm not saying that you're a hipster, but you're a hipster.
>>
neither are exceptionally talented writers and King is a lot more versatile
>>
>>7702935
King often messes up his stories with shitty endings. Koontz stories are less creative but keep the same impact until the end.
>>
>>7702870
>>7702876
>>7702969
koontz memers
>>
>>7703060
Post something better than OP's image from King.

Go on, I'll wait.
>>
>>7703060
I'm >>7702876 and I never even heard of Kuntz before this thread so you're retarded.
>>
>>7703060
>I don't like thing
>they must be memeing
That said, I'm not too familiar with King but I've read a lot of Koontz in middle school. I'd say King has made some better, more memorable plots (and character on occasion) than Koontz, but Koontz definitely is the better writer from a technical standpoint. He also has a better ear for comedy than King, and is therefore able to temper his tone better, especially when writing darker stuff. The best example of that is the Odd Thomas series, or at least the first few because those are all I have read. Koontz also goes a little beyond surface level on the relationship humans have with death, not that I would say he's great or even literature, but different enough that middle school me was startled by the fresh perspective.

But, I don't believe Koontz has written anything like Stand by Me or Shawshank Redemption. Those are quality stories with quality character, though they are only at the fringes of more serious literature.
>>
>>7703111
One Door Away from Heaven. More impactful than Stand by Me or Shawshank Redemption.
>>
>>7703111
>>7703116
It's like comparing Burger King to McDonald's. Even if there is an difference, they're still both shit.
>>
>>7703111
forgiven, you are not memeing

>>7703086
you posted without knowing an author so you're retarded

>>7703072
The Shining
>>
>>7703125
mcdonalds is way better how is that even a comparison
>>
Koontz's best work is from the 80s and early 90s. Then he started writing about magical retards & magical dogs & I lost interest in a huge way.

Twilight Eyes will always be my jam though.
>>
>>7703116
I'll be sure to add that to my beach reading list.
>>7703187
McDonald's was for a while, but Burger King has stepped their shit up. I don't know when, I didn't eat there for a couple years. Their $1.49 ten piece nuggets is awesome when you're drunk.
>>7703191
I remember seeing the dog thing, I think he just started on that because his favorite dog died or some shit.
>>
>>7704272
its been awhile since ive been to burger king i will try again
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.