[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
LIBERAL EDUCATION
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: shelf.jpg (324 KB, 1500x1125) Image search: [Google]
shelf.jpg
324 KB, 1500x1125
Some of you might already know the Harvard Classics collection ("Five Foot Shelf"); as someone who's following the 15 min/day method, I must say, things are appearing to me differently as they normally would. And by that, I humbly mean that I feel like my sense of perception and criticism has been sharpened.

Have you guys heard about it before?
Also, what would the "liberal education essentials" be?
>>
>>7702099
I suppose OP is referring to this >> http://www.mensetmanus.net/inspiration/fifteen_minutes_a_day/
>>
>>7702117
Yes, thank you. Have you followed the one year reading program?
>>
>>7702099
I have the third volume at home. I bought it for like $3 or something.
>>
I have the entire 5 foot shelf collection from the original run. It's a great selection.
>>
>>7702099
Absolutely zero Aristotle. Not much on medieval. Meh.
>>
http://www.sjc.edu/academic-programs/undergraduate/seminar/annapolis-undergraduate-readings/
>>
>>7702274
That's almost something I've been looking for for a long time. It's only for seminaries though. Don't you know any other scheme like this one that lists an entire reading program? Thanks, mate!
>>
>>7702293
That's actually seminars not seminaries. It's the entire reading program. Alternatively you could go with the list from How to Read a Book by Adler which is available on wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_books#Sample_list
>>
>>7702331
Oh, you're right. My bad. Thank you very much, again.
>>
I have the collection cause it was my dad's, he never opened a single one. And that's fair, all the translations they use are antiquated and generally poor. Good collection of works but it's best you get them elsewhere.
>>
>>7702388
Take a look at the first volume. It describes the method that OP is talking about.
>>
Bump. This actually interests me.
>>
>>7702388
You could post pictures of them in the shelf, couldn't ya
>>
Anyone has any idea of how what >>7702274 posted could be done? Just read through the whole program or what?
>>
The Peace Revolution podcast is a good accompaniment.
>>
You might be interested in this: http://wmjas.wikidot.com/ list

Most influential book reading list.
>>
>>7704165
This.
>>
I have stumbled upon this thing in the past. I've tried to follow it through a couple of weeks but by the end of the period I was tired of reading it in my computer. Might get back to it though.
>>
>>7704165
They're all lefties, aren't they?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.