[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm halfway into this and so far it's brilliant. What
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
I'm halfway into this and so far it's brilliant. What does /lit/ think?
>>
Masterpiece, some say it's the best novel written in Spanish since Don Quixote.
>>
25% of the way into it according to my kindle, started yesterday and I knew I'd like it from the first chapter, it's brilliant
>>
the first half is great, but everything after that is bitterly disappointing
>>
>>7700642
Good thing I got that far and quit.
>>
I couldn't get into it when I read it a few years ago, maybe I'll give it another shot soon.
>>
one of the best novels of the 20th century for sure
>>
I really loved it but for some reason I couldn't Finish it
Gina try again as soon as I end the bok I'm reading now
>>
>>7700642
You're absolutely wrong. It's consistently amazing throughout, and the last chapter/paragraph/sentence is the single best ending ever.
>>
If I was in a pop punk band I would write a song named 'One hundred beers with sorry dudes'. I would be the next Fat Mike.
>>
>>7700031
What level of spanish do I need before I can read it comfortably?
>>
File: CUENTOS BREVES Y EXTRAORDINARIOS.jpg (252 KB, 1027x1600) Image search: [Google]
CUENTOS BREVES Y EXTRAORDINARIOS.jpg
252 KB, 1027x1600
>>7700731
The structure of it can be a bit confusing, I would not advise to start with it if it's the first book you're going to read in Spanish.

Try his short stories instead, they are very good. Cortázar also has a lot of lovely very short works. Pic related is also a good book for people starting to delve into Spanish lit, I used it a lot when I was teaching Spanish.
>>
>>7700774
Thanks anon. Haven't read anything serious in spanish yet so I will check out your rec.
>>
>>7700774
Is that s recompilation by ABC and Borges or stories written by them?
>>
>>7700031
i actually preferred autumn of the patriarch. the prose in that is stunning and unlike anything i have read. no punctuation apart from commas and full stops with sentences running for half a page or more. constant switches between tense and person with only a comma to separate them. a staccato succession of images and feelings conjured up and dissolved like flickering film. beautiful prose and symbolism contrasted with an ageing dictators insecurity, impotence and incontinence.
>>
>>7700911
It's a compilation of short stories from all literary traditions across the globe. Most of them aren't even a page long so that's what makes it very attractive for begginners IMO.

You'll find parables, legends, anecdotes, fables, aswell as short stories from masters like Kafka and O'Henry. The whole book was curated and translated by Borges and Bioy Casares, but there's maybe one or two stories actually written by them. I think Borges takes on an unfinished O'Henry story, however.
>>
>>7700031
shit like this is only promoted because PC culture. commie le evil white oppressor agitprop plus some zomg soo quirkz 'magical realism' that's the formula for most of latino literature/poetry
>>
>>7701539
Nice, just like Borges/ABC/Ocampo's anthology of fantastic literature
>>
>>7701607
there isnt really anything about white oppressors though.
>>
>>7700041
Some people are fucking stupid.
>>
>>7701607
That's the latinoamerican redpilled for you, senpai
>>
>>7701607
The oppression in that book is because of homegrown revolutionary idiots. Columbia did it to themselves from independence right up till the last few years where they realized tourism>perennial instability
>>
>>7701679
the part with le evulz imperialists gunning down striking banana pickers,
>>
>>7701715
>Columbia
Illiterate yanks please refrain from posting your indoctrinated opinions
>>
>>7701607
>only promoted because PC culture
It's been called a masterpiece since it was published in the 60s. If you think it's been retconned by 21st century PC culture you're simply wrong.
>commie le evil white oppressor agitprop
All the civil war/banana plantation plots were based on things that really happened and had a lasting impact on Colombian history and culture. Why would he ignore or exclude those in a book about the metaphorical history of Colombia?
>zomg soo quirkz 'magical realism'
You just have shit taste here. The magical realism stuff is the most beautiful prose in the novel, and essential to its themes.
>the formula for most of latino literature/poetry
This is the novel that set the standard for Latino literature. He literally invented the formula.
>>
I didn't like it. It was overloaded.
>>
it's bretty gud
>>
>>7701735
it was real tho.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_massacre

thats one of the reasons why colombia is such a violent place.
>>
File: Nike-Sweatshop-Cartoon.jpg (58 KB, 492x322) Image search: [Google]
Nike-Sweatshop-Cartoon.jpg
58 KB, 492x322
>>7702667
if the colombians had been more grateful to the 'yankee imperialists' who came to offer them the chance to make a fair living, maybe all this could have been avoided. instead they got fucked on marxist theory and chimped out.
>>
>>7702692
>Having your head so far up /pol/'s ass that you can't properly interpret literature
>Posting on /lit/
What are you even trying to accomplish here?
>>
>>7701539
This is awesome, thanks
>>
>>7702692
I'd rather be dead than be someone's puppet.
>>
Really boring IMO.

No real interesting themes or views on politics or morality. No really interesting characters. Just boring every day drama with a little bit of "ooooh, quirky magic >_<" thrown in. It's basically a Disney movie in book form.

I couldn't even get through half of it before I stopped. I kept waiting for it to get good but apparently the early stages are the best? Absolute trash.
>>
>>7702938

>t. a man in middle class American suburbia who's lived a completely timid life void of any confrontation or violent cohersion and who presumably has angst related to his parents
>>
>>7700041
It very probably is.
>>
>>7701780
>He literally invented the formula.
This is the only thing you got wrong. Rulfo invented it. He popularized it. It doesn't mean he didn't do one hell of a job; this novel is every bit as gorgeous as Pedro Páramo.
>>
>>7703039
I am calling your bait
>>
>>7703102
Congratz on taking the bait and encouraging them. Idiot.
>>
>>7703104

I'm actually 100% serious.

Not everything on 4chan is bait.
>>
>>7703155
If you're an obnoxious loudmouth and still serious, then you're an idiot and still not worth responding to. Except for calling you out on it.
>>
>>7703161

>criticism is being a loudmouth

Cuck. Grow a spine fuccboi.

People are gonna break your Feng Shui in the real world, better get used to it.
>>
File: 570142864.jpg (76 KB, 500x464) Image search: [Google]
570142864.jpg
76 KB, 500x464
I loved it OP. One of my all time favs. Ironic, considering it was Marquez's least favorite of his novels & he was baffled at it's popularity.

It's real value, however, is using it as bait on lit & watching these illiterate troglodytes engage in their fruitless pissing contests. Happens every time.
>>
>>7703176
edgy le reddit memes
>>
What if I don't know Spanish? What's the best translation?
>>
>>7700642
The ending is amazing.
>>
One of my favorite books, don't listen to the faggots here shitting on it because it's popular.
>>
>>7700031
it's literally one of the best books ever
>>
>>7703206

I don't see what exactly you're talking about, considering most of the posts here were reports of people liking it.
>>
>>7703039
you didn't understand it then?
>>
>>7703251
García Márquez lavished the translator with similar praise. “He told me that the translation was even better than the original,” recalled Rabassa.
>>
>>7702734
I am inquisitive by nature and I can't close my eyes to the truth. I know propaganda when I see it. Latin America's history is pretty much all Marxists manipulating low IQ indians with impossible promises and imperialist boogeymen.
>>
>>7705965
>i know propaganda when I see it
>being ignorant to the fact that his very own views are shaped by western/imperialist propaganda

rich
>>
>>7705990
it is statistically likely you have a sub-90 IQ and thus easily swallow marxist/statist discourse
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.