[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished reading this trilogy. Started off great but her
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Old-Covers.jpg (466 KB, 936x1015) Image search: [Google]
Old-Covers.jpg
466 KB, 936x1015
I just finished reading this trilogy. Started off great but her pacing was off at times. The latter half of the second book and first half of the third were the best parts. Her ending was weak. I feel like she remembered she had to finish the book and just started wrapping things up as quickly as possible. I sensed a lot of feminist undertones from them as well. And while it wasn't a deal breaker, it kind of felt shoehorned (durr hurr women can lead too). Her characters (except for Regal) are fantastic and are what kept me going. Are her other trilogies better or are they more or less the same?
>>
The next trilogy continues from the previous one and improves the ending; other than that, I remember it being much weaker, although I was about twelve when I read them, so I do not remember it all that well.
>>
After the Farseer trilogy, she published the Liveship Traders trilogy. It's set in the same world, but in a very different setting. I enjoyed that series as well. After that there's the Tawny Man trilogy, which returns to the setting of the Farseer-trilogy and is a good read too. I've heard that the other series aren't that good, but I haven't tried them.
>>
About 70% done with Assassin's Quest.
Fuck, the part in the mountains just keeps dragging on.
>>
>>7700482
Yea she kind of loses control of the story after that. The ending was ok. The best part was in the beginning. I'd pay good money for a collection of short stories of just Fitz and Nighteyes fucking shit up.
>>
I bet a significant fraction of the copies of those books sold are sold due to the author's name being briefly mistaken for the title of the Hobbit
>>
>>7701954
Ha. Never thought of that.
>>
>>7700482
It's a narrative technique. All that bloat is there to distract the reader from the eventual impact of the conspiracy. You know how politicians spew a load of crap denying events in Iraq, then Amnesty International leaked photos from Abu Ghraib? The lull before the reveal is like that.
>>
>>7701954
Doesn't that go without saying? GRR Martin owes a little to JRR Tolkien in that way too.
>>
Read Fool's Errand next. It's technically the first book in the Tawny Man trilogy which continues Fitz's story. It makes for a better ending than Assassin's Quest, since it acts like a coda that shows the next phase of Fitz's life 15 years later.

The thing is, Fool's Errand has a great ending and is probably the best place to leave the series, but the other Tawny Man books are fairly good, albeit with a shit ending. So feel free to read the whole trilogy if you enjoy the journey, but I personally regretted not stopping at Assassin's Quest or Fool's Errand.

That is until she started her next trilogy which is much better than Tawny Man and helps fix the shitty end, but it's not complete yet so I can't vouch for it yet.

Liveship Traders is her other series that takes place between Farseer and Tawny Man, and it's quite good. More traditional fantasy with multiple third person viewpoints, but still has her brilliant characterisation. Only minor links to Farseer, so you can read this whenever, though Tawny Man will spoil some larger plot points.

Avoid the Dragon Keeper and Soldier Son series.
>>
>>7703278
The soldier son and dragon keeper series were incredibly boring. Still, the assassin and tawny man series are, in my opinion, very good. The new books are good too, but a bit slow and I someties feel it is a bit sentimental. Quite a lot of interactions and observations etc. seem to be aimed at an in-group of people who know all the other books by heart.
>>
>>7703278
>>7703315
Are those labeled as YA? I don't want maximum edge, but a non romantic fuck here or there would be appreciated. I was getting sick of reading about Fitz and Molly. The fucking kid was horny, not in love.
>>
File: fl.jpg (125 KB, 523x579) Image search: [Google]
fl.jpg
125 KB, 523x579
>>7703278

>That is until she started her next trilogy which is much better than Tawny Man and helps fix the shitty end

I disagree. I loved the bittersweet ending of the Tawny Man trilogy and find the new trilogy pretty mediocre. She really should have ended it with the Tawny Man trilogy in my opinion.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.