[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's his best book? I've heard that Invisible Cities
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: calvino.jpg (135 KB, 580x419) Image search: [Google]
calvino.jpg
135 KB, 580x419
What's his best book? I've heard that Invisible Cities are great and decided to try it, but before check if /lit/ thinks it's better to start with something else.
>>
Invisible Cities is barely a novel. It's a collection of "not-poems" interlaced with some surreal dialogue between Kublai Kahn and Marco Polo. It's pretty great, still. It's probably as good a place to start with any as a lot of his other stuff is fairy tales (still great). In my opinion 'If on a winter's night a traveler' is his best book but it's a pretty even split between that and Invisible Cities. Also I hated Cosmicomics but a lot of other people like it so you could look into some of those stories as well.
>>
>>7699849
Thanks a lot Anon!
>>
>>7699801
I recently finished Invisible Cities and loved it. It's a collection of short descriptions of cities based on interesting concepts (not dissimilar to Borges' short stories). It made me want to read more Calvino, so I'd certainly recommend it.
>>
>>7699864
That's great, I thought about picking up Ficciones too recently, will surely do it after Invisible Cities.
>>
>>7699886
I'm working my way through Ficciones. I can't recommend Borges enough.
>>
The most expensive book=best book.
The market determines value.
>>
>>7699915
This is poor shitposting even by /lit/ standards. You can do better.
>>
I objectively wrote the best books
>>
Read If on a winter's night a traveler, first. This is a no brainer. After that, Invisible Cities, Difficult Loves, and his fantasy trilogy are all suitable choices.

My personal favourites are Marcovaldo and the Path to the Spiders' Nests. If you just want to sputter about how interesting his writing is with little-to-no thought, then just stay with Invisible Cities.
>>
Cosmicomics is one of my favorite books, Invisible Cities is great too, either of those would be a good starting point, Cosmicomics if you like science/space, Invisible Cities if you like cities/travel. Numbers in the Dark is also a good collection with no particular overarching theme, mostly pretty whimsical with some more Borgesian stuff in there as well
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.