[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reading slow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
Does reading slow mean you're stupid, or that you're just taking the time to get everything out of the words?
>>
Depends
>>
File: 1384015678933.jpg (169 KB, 548x294) Image search: [Google]
1384015678933.jpg
169 KB, 548x294
>>7699079
>falling for the reading speed meme
You may be a little stupid anyway, though, OP.
>>
I read slowly because I'm dreamy and when I read I get all sorts of ideas for my novel. This is why I like reading so much, because you don't have to pay absolute attention, you can drift away if you want and then come back to the same thing.
>>
>>7699079
Are you reading the words in your head or do you skim over them?
What kind of books are you reading?
I tend to read slower during dialogue-heavy parts. Philosophy also takes me longer.
There are a lot of factors that change reading speed, but that's okay.
Some tips: don't read the book in your head, at least for descriptions. Just skimming is enough for that.
>>
There are many forms of intelligence, reading slow just means you're slow at interpreting and processing words, it doesn't really have anything to do with your analytical, or logical abilities.
>>
File: 23-thomas-pynchon.jpg (1 MB, 2200x3037) Image search: [Google]
23-thomas-pynchon.jpg
1 MB, 2200x3037
It means you're subvocalizing you tard.
>>
Another ebin thread.
>>
>>7699090
Intelligence is being able to outwit everyone else while sitting atop the mountain of top witters that came before you.
>>
>>7699108
Whenever I try to stop saying the words in my head I just subconsciously end up replacing them with a rhythmic clicking. I don't know what the fuck is wrong with me.
>>
>>7699079
Neither.
For example, my mother can read decently (if the vain creature would wear her glasses), but she's not very smart.
My father is very smart, but has dyslexia and almost never reads because of it.
>>
>>7699079
It's usually easier for smart people to read fast
But people of all intelligence read slowly.
>>
>>7699087
>Some tips: don't read the book in your head, at least for descriptions. Just skimming is enough for that.

pleb as fuck desu
>>
>>7699087
gotta be trolling
gotta be fuckin trollin

excellent bait mang
>>
>>7699079
I honestly can't get through books because I can't focus on reading that long.

pls help
>>
>>7699079
Reading very slowly should be a warning about something.

Speed reading is a meme. If you give a damn about what you are reading and want to actually understand it, don't speed read.

They have tournaments for speed reading where one of the goals is to reach 50% comprehension and this is widely applauded by that community.

A side note, anyone know anything about keeping your focus on a work? Advice?
>>
>>7699219
someone post the avid reader pls
>>
>>7699268
>anyone know anything about keeping your focus on a work? Advice

take speed or take a break
>>
I read pretty slow, but I have very high comprehension and retention.

My goal isn't to read fast, but to be able to understand and recall what I've read.

Takes me about 2 minutes to read a standard page. According to that staples my reading speed is 252WPM ... this is the standard speed of an 8th grader. Apparently good college students read at about 800 WPM.
>>
I think you should read at your own pace, enjoy the thoughts reading evokes, and hope the speed readers do something useful with their "intelligence" and all the books they consume. But they probably won't.

Sometimes as I read, I try to consciously accelerate. I lose all ability to retain the context of the piece, or how it relates to what's come before, and am focused only on "getting through" the text. It becomes pointless, I often slow down, and then I put the book down and think about how much faster I could read if I read more. Then I usually check my phone. I couldn't speed read in college and I definitely can't now.
>>
I wonder what kind of enjoyment people get reading a text at 800wpm... Even 500 seems quite high. It almost seems insulting to the author to read a book that fast.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.