[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/ Retard coming through, please let me know if this
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 8376.jpg (86 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
8376.jpg
86 KB, 720x960
Hey /lit/

Retard coming through, please let me know if this isn't the right board to talk about this.

How does one go about developing better critical thinking skills? If I hear two opposing arguments, how can I learn to dissect each one, remove the fallacious claims and nonsense, and extract the truth to make my own conclusions? How do you learn to take apart discussions and debates to understand whether or not an argument is sound?

Also, on a side note, I haven't sat down and read a novel in at least 4 years now. Most of my reading now is news and technical manuals and tutorials. How do I get back into reading fiction novels?

How do I get into philosophy?
>>
pls respond
>>
File: n638721917_268349_1081.jpg (11 KB, 504x360) Image search: [Google]
n638721917_268349_1081.jpg
11 KB, 504x360
Obviously you should memorize the logical fallacies and know when they do apply and when they don't apply.

Read up on the logic of argumentation so you can identify whether arguments are unsound or invalid.

Philosophy will directly aid these skills, take a short course on it or get a book that provides a good overview and introduction.

Once you get a decent foundation in logic and philosophy the rest of it is just experience, try and tear apart arguments wherever you come across them.
>>
>>7698748

Easy mode:
Read pic related

Slightly less easy but still not that hard mode:
Take a logic class
>>
>>7698774
Thanks for the reply!

Could you recommend me any particular books or videos to help me get started? I can't tell which resources I should stick with.

When it comes to philosophy, which direction should I read works in? Would it be best to start from the roots and read about Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle, and work upwards through history from there, or should I pick a topic or idea that interests me and read about that?
>>
>>7698788
I'll take a look at that, thanks.

What knowledge was Plato trying to imply through his dialogues? I'll definitely read them thoroughly, but what in particular should I be on the lookout for, to maximize my understanding?
>>
>>7698792
wikipedia has a full list of logical fallacies.
>>
>>7698796

A logic class with teach you how reasoning is constructed in everyday language and the problems that arise from different statements even if they are naturally true. You won't learn much about the history of philosophy in that class though, so maybe you should also take Phil 101. As far the order to read them in your leisure time don't overthink it. You are safe starting with Plato because those dialogues speak to what your original post asks about.
>>
>>7698774
Le beito imagoooo

Blindness is a property, not a thing; individuals can't be equal to properties. 'Love' and 'God' needs to be further scrutinized. At the moment, thanks to the set of its name-referents being empty, premises (1) and (2) are nonsensical, rendering both propositions devoid of truth-values.

More humorous conclusion would be God=blind though :^)

Also, daily reminder that one will never understand Logic sufficiently deep enough unless he has a degree in Maths. One may, however, try, and attain a sufficient degree of Logic-competency to engage in /pol/-tier debates.
>>
>>7698824
That's the joke.
>>
>>7698748
>How does one go about developing better critical thinking skills? If I hear two opposing arguments, how can I learn to dissect each one, remove the fallacious claims and nonsense, and extract the truth to make my own conclusions? How do you learn to take apart discussions and debates to understand whether or not an argument is sound?
Lewis Carroll. No I'm not shitting you, he was a maths professor not just a qt loli writer. He wrote a book called The Game of Logic, designed for newbs like yourself.
Raymond M Smullyan's Alice in Puzzle-Land is a good follow up.
You also want rhetoric, which the discipline of how arguments are presented:
Cicero's De Inventione and De Oratore are good basics.
Rhetorica ad Herennium is also attributed to Cicero but it's sometimes sold as by anon because it probably wasn't written by him. This one is probably more important than the other two by Cicero, but the other two are easier to start with. If you want to dive straight in, it's still one of the main books for teaching rhetoric today.
You also probably want Schopenhauer's The Art of Being Right, which includes all the tactics you should look out for in your opponents and use shamelessly on any faggot who disagrees with you.

>How do I get back into reading fiction novels?
Lewis Carroll's fiction could accomplish both this and the previous goal, because he makes a lot of logic and math jokes in Alice and it's a very fun book any way.

>How do I get into philosophy?
Start with the Greeks. Preferably the preSocratics like anyone in the Ionian School, but if you want to start with Plato, The Symposium and Republic tend to be the ones that people enjoy most.
>>
>>7698748
Watch Judge Judy, she's pretty based at cutting through the bullshit
>>
>>7698824
Wow.. that joke went right over your head didn't it?
>>
>>7698865
Thank you very much for the detailed list, I'll make good use of that. I'll try working through all of that at my slow pace.
>>
>>7698824
dear friend, please understand that we were just ironing :^)
I hope you have a good rest of your day
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.