[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this, very good, like Quentin's and Dilsey's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg (23 KB, 220x315) Image search: [Google]
TheSoundAndTheFuryCover.jpg
23 KB, 220x315
Just finished this, very good, like Quentin's and Dilsey's sections the most. One question I do have is how can anyone feel bad for Jason?
>muh heritage/money/greed/whore niece
He's just not very likeable.
>>
I think it's the fathers funeral flashback where I felt some sympathy for him. His family is fucked up and unhappy.
He's pretty awful for the rest of the book though.
>>
>>7698325
I felt empathy for Jason, which isn't to say I "felt bad" for him. I understand what it's like to "see red," and whether or not one justifies that feeling, it's a terrible thing to be able to rage at that degree.

On a related note, I feel like a lot of people on 4chan would benefit psychologically from watching the interviews with Ed Kemper. Maybe I'm just projecting. I can post the link if you want.
>>
>>7698337
do that plz.
I just remember before I read it that people would come here and talk about how Jason's was the saddest part of the novel, and other than the overall shittieness of his life there wasn't anything that really got me
>>
>>7698337
One thing about Jason I was never totally clear on - was there a reason for him being such a dick when he was a kid? Jason was always the one that told on the rest of the kids.

I really like the book, too. Quentin's section is my favorite. I think Benjy's is extremely impressive, too. I've never read anything from that perspective.
>>
>>7698415
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRv8uOnvRBc

The quality isn't very good, and I can't give you a skip time for the Kemper interviews. But I think the full doc is worth a watch. For the Kemper interviews, and for some insight into how ludicrous it is for any sort of government security apparatus to have a "Behavioral Analysis Unit." Just from the shit the cops they interviewed say.

Also if you type "Ed Kemper interviews" on youtube they'll come up as separate clips.

>>7698426
I haven't read it since 10th grade, that phrase, "seeing red," always stuck with me, especially because of the wonderfully descriptive scene that follows
>>
>>7698325

I don't know I didn't mind Jason so much. He was cantankerous a lot of the time but aside from that I could see his reasons. Definitely too harsh on his sister though.
>>
>>7698426
I think the reason why Jason is such an asshole for his siblings come from the difference in the way their mother treats him.
He is clearly her favourite, might even be the only one she likes. She says he is her only child, the one that is not a Campson but a whatever her name is IIRC.
Add to that the fact that Caddy and Quentin are close in age, and Benjy being how he is, maybe he could never find his place among them and developed himself in opposition to them.
>>
>>7699813 here, sorry for my shitty english!
>>
>>7699813
That's right, I forgot all about that.
>>
One thing I could never really understand, and that is actually essential in the book so I feel I missed quite a lot, is why is Quentin so upset by his sister's behaviour?
Ok, she's a slut. Is that a reason to kill yourself, being disappointed by your sister? Even his father doesn't seem to care all that much.
I really didn't get his obsession with that. Any insight?
>>
2016: needing likable characters. Also did you read the book half shitfaced the way Faulkner wrote it?
>>
>>7699922
Not OP, but I should definitely try that. Although, to be "half shitfaced the way Faulkner wrote it," wouldn't I technically have to be such an alcoholic that I can only ever get half shitfaced?
>>
>>7699951
Not OP, ('original poster', the first person to post) just an anon like you. But yeah, the math checks out. Good work, kid.
>>
File: seleucidbullynotsotough.jpg (255 KB, 708x826) Image search: [Google]
seleucidbullynotsotough.jpg
255 KB, 708x826
>>7699972
No, I'm saying that I'm not OP. I know what OP means. I've been here since 2005.

Sorry I out-sperglorded you pal. Would you like a moist towelette?
>>
>>7699989
Na, I'll just GoBackToReddit.
>>
>>7698325
He's pathetic
>thinks he's a badass who is better than everyone else because he has a job
>secretly steals money from a little girl
>loses all his money in the stock market
>>
>>7698325
>>7698333
>>7698337

Jason was a product of the family. Simply put. He is that way because the family forces him to be.

You know who I hate? His mother. I would strangle that slut.
>>
>>7699883
He's like those robots who only want to date a pure virgin girl
I'm pretty sure there isn't any cause for his behavior. Faulkner is just saying the whole idea of virginity is a stupid thing. He literally says that in the book (through Quentin's dad)
>>
What book should I read of Faulkner's first? Note: I'm very new to the 'world "of" literature'.
>>
Jason is an asshole because he senses time as it is in the future, with no care for the present.
>>
>>7700196
As I Lay Dying, but Light in August is not a bad place to also start with.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.