[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just finished Infinite Jest. I'm not really sure what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 1451967676085.jpg (107 KB, 570x913) Image search: [Google]
1451967676085.jpg
107 KB, 570x913
I just finished Infinite Jest. I'm not really sure what I read or what I think of it yet. Do you guys have any outside sources that would enrich my understanding?
>>
you have to read it again
actually 3 times
then it all falls into place
>>
>>7697850
All you need is Harold Bloom's brief commentary on it. It will all make sense.
>>
>>7697850
You don't have to reread the entire book unless you really liked it, but reread the Year of Glad segment. It'll make much more sense in the context of the rest of the book.
>>
If you didn't "get it" google something like "what happened to Hal at the end of infinite jest" and find one of the pages that explains the hinted-at plot line to you. Otherwise I would think the individual sections should speak for themselves unless you're entirely obtuse.
>>
>>7697850

You're supposed to think it's drivel, but say it's brilliant, so that the jesting can continue on into infinity.
>>
>>7697920
I'm not OP but it's neither drivel nor brilliant. It seems like a failed experiment above everything else. He was just too insecure to accomplish all the things he set out to do with it but it's still interesting enough to read once.
>>
>>7697901
I really liked the book, but I can't really articulate what my takeaway from it is yet. Some friends sent me some articles and I'm about to reread the first chapter. I think I may have tried to read it too fast and missed some important details.
>>
>>7698030
That's probably true, but some of the details don't make sense initially until you see things later on that expand on them or provide a proper context.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.