[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did /lit/ enjoy Morning Star? I'm getting close to the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 19
File: 13433529._SY540_.jpg (38 KB, 355x540) Image search: [Google]
13433529._SY540_.jpg
38 KB, 355x540
Did /lit/ enjoy Morning Star?
I'm getting close to the end now and I'm liking it so far.

Share thoughts and comments. Try to avoid spoilers please!
>>
I did.

Fine little piece of literature.

I found its pace unbalanced at times but honestly that doesn't matter at all.

Brown is a solid author. Any other book from him that you'd recommend?
>>
>>7697824
I haven't read anything else by him but I'd definitely agree about the pace. It's annoying sometimes but I can't pull myself away from his little universe.
>>
>>7697807
I loved it, though not as much as Golden Son. The opening was fantastic, but it felt a little rushed in places. I still hate how he calls Virginia "Mustang". I know that's their thing, but it's so awkward at least to me.

Holiday and Victra were probably my favorite characters in the series.

I have hope that he'll revisit the setting eventually. So much to be seen and done.

>>7697824
I believe the series is the first thing he's ever written. Not sure though.
>>
Posting pyramids:
>>
File: Gold.png (126 KB, 532x288) Image search: [Google]
Gold.png
126 KB, 532x288
>Golds are the highest level of caste within the Society. They are humanity's fiercely intelligent rulers, their physique tend to be larger than those of other castes, perhaps even Obsidians. There are about 40 million Golds in the Society. Iron Golds were the Old Conquerors that conquered Earth with their battleships and established the Society throughout the solar system.

>Due to their superior physique, Golds tend to live longer than humans of Old Earth, and the Carvers' cell rejuvenation therapy increases their lifespan further still. For example, Lorn's father lived to 163 without any cell rejuvenation. This also means that even Golds considered to be elderly are still fearsome in battle, for example, the Stonesides are all over 70 years old yet none dare to cross them.
>>
File: Silver.png (185 KB, 410x350) Image search: [Google]
Silver.png
185 KB, 410x350
>Silvers are an upper tier caste, though not as prestigious as Golds. They are the innovators, financiers, and businessmen of Society.
>>
File: White.png (79 KB, 402x335) Image search: [Google]
White.png
79 KB, 402x335
>Whites are an upper tier caste, though not as high level as Golds. They are the priests and priestesses who oversee the ritual functions of Society, preserving the traditions of old. Said rituals tend be done by virgin maidens wielding iron daggers and gold laurels, while children carry triangular standards of scepters, swords, and scrolls with laurels.

>They sometimes fulfill the role of a mentor, teaching young Golds about their role in Society.
>>
File: Copper.png (110 KB, 387x333) Image search: [Google]
Copper.png
110 KB, 387x333
>Coppers are an upper tier caste, though not as high level as Golds. They are the administrators, lawyers and bureaucrats of Society.
>>
File: Blue.png (123 KB, 391x342) Image search: [Google]
Blue.png
123 KB, 391x342
>The Blues are a mid-tier caste. They are the "airy" pilots and astronavigators of Society, bred to crew starships.

>They have digiTats on their shaved heads and sync to electronics. They speak slower as they prefer communicating digitally, and do not emote much. A helmBlue appears to be a captain of the ship, comBlue is in charge of readouts. They tend to be born isolated in space, so they share a lot.
>>
File: Yellow.png (115 KB, 381x331) Image search: [Google]
Yellow.png
115 KB, 381x331
>Yellows are a mid-tier caste. They are experts in human and natural sciences and are the doctors, psychologists and scientists of Society. Luneborn Yellows are very capable, grafting skin and regenerating limbs even if the wound is old.
>>
File: Green.png (178 KB, 401x346) Image search: [Google]
Green.png
178 KB, 401x346
>Greens are a mid-tier caste. They are the programmers and developers of Society.
>>
File: Violet.png (126 KB, 428x374) Image search: [Google]
Violet.png
126 KB, 428x374
>Violets are a mid-tier caste, though mentioned to be as rare as Whites. They are the creative class, the artists, musicians, and performers of society. They are also news anchors and appear to work with technology and dabble in genetic engineering. They are given drugs to increase their output.
>>
File: Orange.png (137 KB, 366x316) Image search: [Google]
Orange.png
137 KB, 366x316
>Oranges are a mid-tier caste. They are the mechanics of Society and provide systems support upon starships and all manners of mechanical enterprises.
>>
File: Grey.png (90 KB, 341x343) Image search: [Google]
Grey.png
90 KB, 341x343
>Grays are a lower tier caste. They serve as the police and military personnel of society. They fill the ranks of the legions of the Society, from grunt to commando.
>>
File: Brown.png (217 KB, 590x251) Image search: [Google]
Brown.png
217 KB, 590x251
>Browns are a lower level caste. They are servants in homes, businesses, and social institutions.
>>
File: Obsidian.png (99 KB, 365x353) Image search: [Google]
Obsidian.png
99 KB, 365x353
>Obsidians are a lower tier caste. They are a 'monstrous race only bred for war', and are the only color to have ever rebelled against the Gold elite during the Dark Revolt. After this act, they were forced to live in the polar regions of different castles, provided with no knowledge of technology, and taught that the 'Sunborn' Gold are gods. They are mainly raised in the poles of Earth and Mars.
>>
>>7700076
>space witchers

Goddamn it, there goes another one
>>
File: Pink.png (181 KB, 547x234) Image search: [Google]
Pink.png
181 KB, 547x234
>Pinks are a lower leveled caste whom are unparalleled in beauty. They are bred and trained for the physical arts of pleasure in the Gardens. They are given a mark called 'Cupid's Kiss' that exposes them to constant pain, meant to instill unconditional obedience, it is only abated by the touch of a Gold. Due to the nature of their work, they are chemically castrated save for a few for breeding purposes, and the genus has a high suicide rate.
>>
>>7700106
[projectile vomit intensifies]
>>
File: Red.png (191 KB, 324x312) Image search: [Google]
Red.png
191 KB, 324x312
>Reds are the lowest level of caste within the Society. Manual laborers born to live and die in the mines, factories, and docks of the Society. Most never live past forty.
>>
File: patrician2.jpg (50 KB, 836x874) Image search: [Google]
patrician2.jpg
50 KB, 836x874
>>7700106
Also

>whom are
>>
>>7700112
I was copy and pasting a poorly edited wiki and making revisions on the fly. Whoops.

>>7700105
Imagine if the Senators of Rome were the Primarchs of 40k (with less skulls and more Rome obsession). Also they send their kids to the hunger games to cull the weak and build character.
>>
>>7700117
That sounds exactly like space witchers to me, except without the trial of the grasses, and elevating them to society-wide "ubermensch" status. They would have to be either mutant pariahs or the rulers of humanity
>>
>>7700130
They could also be a niche "black-ops" subspecies, but that's only in an idealized scenario
>>
>>7700130
Forgive me, I haven't played The Witcher series yet.

Golds are more or less genetically engineered ubermench who then proceeded to enslave and breed the rest of humanity to serve their needs.
>>
>>7700106
kek, subgenii call everyone below gold pinks. with the ones you have sex with being debeaked prairie squid.
>>
File: hue.jpg (22 KB, 219x293) Image search: [Google]
hue.jpg
22 KB, 219x293
>>7700147
>debeaked prairie squid
>>
>>7700077
Basically Jews?
>>
>>7700247
>The drivers of the Society’s economy, Silvers are bred to innovate products, run businesses, and manage financial markets. They are neither physically nor mentally equipped for struggles of power, and so rely upon the health of the Society’s Color Hierarchy to preserve their privileged place.

They're the burghers to the Gold's aristocrats, though even that description isn't entirely accurate.
>>
File: Victra au Julii.jpg (56 KB, 347x500) Image search: [Google]
Victra au Julii.jpg
56 KB, 347x500
The thing about the Red Rising trilogy is that is has so many of the things that trigger /lit/. I mean, on the surface it's young adult commercial dystopian sci-fi and it already has a movie deal. Sure, it borrows from a lot of different novels, filled with tropes and cliches, and no it's not really groundbreaking, but it's just fun. With the exception of the beginning of Red Rising, you're running so fast you never notice. Things move with the speed of lightning, but never so fast as you feel out of breath.

The characters are flawed, the sappy romance non-existent, and the action is incredible. It's entertaining to see Darrow evolve, deal with his inner turmoil, and solve his problems. It's a joy to see how the ensemble cast interacts with each other. The plot twists and turns like a roller coaster and leaves you hungry for more.

Me? Personally? I wouldn't have given it a second thought if it hadn't gotten glowing reviews from NPR. Maybe that says something about me (books and covers, and all that), but I enjoyed myself thoroughly and I hope he revisits the setting again.

Okay, I'll stop shilling. I just wish more people had read the books so I could have someone to talk to. Go pirate the damn books if you have to.
>>
>>7697807
>8 posters
>30 posts

Something fishy here
>>
>>7701256
Literally half of those were me posting about the Society and the colors.
>>
>>7701277
That cast system shit was done before, only this one is in space (seveneves did it in space too), so meh.
>>
>>7701371
I didn't say it was original, I said it was good. I don't need to drive around in a Model T to appreciate a car.
>>
Just finished it. It was a satisfying ending. I thought the last quarter was a bit rushed. I am happy the way things turned out. Better than RR but not as good as GS, but close. I loved these books.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.