[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be into reading, but although I bought myself some
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 25u4Jh1.png (319 KB, 313x480) Image search: [Google]
25u4Jh1.png
319 KB, 313x480
I want to be into reading, but although I bought myself some interesting literature I just can't bring myself to continue reading them at some point..
Are you just born with the divine attitude to enjoy reading or can I still get into it somehow?
I'm 19 if that matters.
>>
>>7697705
I'm 21, but in pretty much the same situation. I don't think the desire to read is something you're born with. I think the best solution is to (at least temporarily) remove ALL distractions, everything that isn't ink on paper. When I move out in a few months, I think I'll sell my PC and TV. Then I'll have nothing to do but read and work and sleep. Alone. It'll be great.
>>
>>7697857
This guy's pretty much got it
>>
File: IMG_4169.jpg (287 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4169.jpg
287 KB, 1600x1200
>>7697705
I started reading when I first moved out of home a age 17. I could not afford a TV and the internet at the student accommodation I was at was $8 a gigabyte (so I didn't buy any). I did however live about 50m from the State Library. I would go there to use their free wifi and eventually started picking up interesting looking books. In absence of all distraction I became completely engrossed in books and would basically do nothing else.

I never ended up buying a TV and no longer use internet after 7pm.
>>
>avid-reader.txt
>>
>not having an interest in reading since you learned how

Not gna make it desu
>>
>>7697705
I'm in the exact same boat. I'm trying to start reading again at age 18.

I was the biggest fucking bookworm in elementary school. I hit a college reading level sometime around 3rd grade. I CONSTANTLY read every book I could get my hands on, from encyclopedias to autobiographies. I quit reading in middle school at some point.

I haven't read a book in over 1 1/2 years and I'm trying to read A Farewell To Arms but I can't concentrate on it.
>>
I got to part 3 of Leviathan and haven't read any of it in weeks. I stopped reading Faust after part one, Metamorphoses on the second last book, and Paradise Lost half way through.

Why the fuck can't I finish anything?
I get near the end of one book and then another grabs my attention.
I'm stuck reading things under 600 pages because I end up losing interest in longer works.
>>
>>7697952
>reading fucking Leviathan
>>
>>7697705
>>7697705
>>7697946
>>7697952

You're all probably too used to the sort of "reading" you do on the internet, and so your brain is only trained to read through short inane posts, skimming through asinine articles, switching through 8 different tabs, sorting through ads and hyperlinks and shit. It doesn't know how to focus on a single linear text like a book.

Use the internet less, and when you read, go to a quiet place away from technology to distract you. And keep reading and make it into a habit. Also, actually try to read books you have an interest in reading. Don't try to be a patrician and buy difficult meme books. That makes it much easier.
>>
>>7697946
>A Farewell To Arms but I can't concentrate on it.
The sentence structure of the book makes it hard as fuck for me to read. Maybe start with For Whom The Bell Tolls or something else that isn't "and, and and and and and and; and!"
>>
>>7697972
It was pretty good imo.
I don't personally agree with a lot of his arguments, and there are a few contradictions in his reasoning, but his style was nice and easy to read, and the book provided a unique point of view, especially for the period in which it was written.

Why do so many people hate it so much?
>>
>>7697984
>>7697989

>Use the internet less
Well fuck. The internet and thousands of hours of memeing has definitely messed with my brain

Besides, I have read this book before about 3 years ago and I enjoyed it. That's why I'm starting with it. Maybe I'll start with To Kill and Mockingbird first.
>>
>>7698017
>Well fuck. The internet and thousands of hours of memeing has definitely messed with my brain

The brain is pretty maleable, especially if you're still young. You can still train yourself to concentrate and read a book with ease.
>>
>>7698028
I'm not exaggerating when I estimate 3000 hours spent on 4chan. I hope you're right. Here goes closing my laptop.
>>
>>7698040
and.., im still here
>>
>>7697705
I started at 16 and stopped using video games, Internet (aside from /lit/), and TV. Stuck to movies and film. Loving it so far, my attention span is so much better than it used to be. 21 now and can't imagine living without books or film.
>>
>>7697705
Cut your internet. I was cuted by month this year, and i readed books all time. It was great honestly, but parents had to pay internet, they have a year long agreement
>>
>>7698040
Your brain isn't hardwired. Neural pathways can be created or eliminated. You aren't fucked
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.