[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does /lit/ believe that the current climate of sexual commoditization
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: zappavs.acrowdofhippies.jpg (890 KB, 1600x1074) Image search: [Google]
zappavs.acrowdofhippies.jpg
890 KB, 1600x1074
Does /lit/ believe that the current climate of sexual commoditization and malaise is a direct outgrowth of the "Free Love" movement in the 60's?

As far as I can tell, Zappa pretty much predicted the future. Also, does this belong on /mu/ just because I'm referencing Zappa? I would rather know /lit/'s opinions on this
>>
>>7697533
It has nothing to do with capitalism, you cultural Marxist cuck. It's because of the Jews who own Hollywood. They want to breed out whiteness

Take the redpill
>>
File: 1454799721960.png (217 KB, 447x547) Image search: [Google]
1454799721960.png
217 KB, 447x547
>>7697537
epic
>>
>>7697537
I'm a non-white who experiences sexual malaise. Is my only solution suicide?
>>
When you take your pill
it's like a mine disaster.
I think of all the people
lost inside of you.
"The Pill versus The Springhill Mine Disaster" (1968) Richard Brautigan

It's not just the free love movement, and it's not just commodification. There are some people who were in favour of the pill because they believed it would free women from being baby factories, but now regret that it became a reason to have sex without apparent consequence, which eventually became an obligation for women to have sex. 40:54 in this
www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZtUAq2SYUQ
>>
What would Zappa do?
>>
>>7697570
Name his kid something retarded?
>>
It has actually more to do with the fact that monogamic, romantic, conservative love was a creation meant to match a world where people largely stayed in the same place they were born, working on an agrarian economy, always living among the same community, in the same social class, etc. where maintaining a family and keeping as few sexual patners as possible was necessary for the social order.

This clearly started to fall apart in the 19th century with industrialization, urbanization, social classes becoming more dynamic and so on, and you can bet that by the 20s and 30s sexual conduct in most western urban places was already "liberated" enough to make some people today blush. Society was preaching a sexual conduct that few really followed, so an open challenge towards said conduct was bound to happen eventually. So no, the Free Love types didn't change society as much as we like to give them credit for, society and romantic codes were already changing due to socioeconomic and technological reasons beyond our control, and when the pill kicked in they had to address it.

Also Zappa was an overrated idiot who thought the government invented aids
>>
>>7697623
>and you can bet that by the 20s and 30s sexual conduct in most western urban places was already "liberated" enough to make some people today blush.

Perhaps autists, and /pol/acks. And didn't the "open challenge" come in the form of the free love movement? Right, I'll agree that it can all eventually be traced back to industrialization, and general technological advancement, but free love was the manifestation of that "liberated" urbanite mentality.

And, you seem to be forgetting how recently we came to understand aids. In 1980, nobody knew fuck all about what caused it
>>
>>7697668
His music is not that good and his rants neither intelligent or funny. You've heard them anon, you know it's true.
>>
I could never get into Zappa. It's all just so soulless. At least Beefheart had a primal, even profound absurdity to a lot of his music. Zappa just comes across as a dickhole with some technical skills.
>>
>>7697749
I'm pretty sure you're just afflicted with that "music must always be a 100% clinical, intellectual, sober exercise in precise composition" mentality that took hold after Zappa died. It's going to be the death of music

Have you ever even heard the original Rat Tomago? Berlin, Feb 15, 1978, "The Torture Never Stops." It's actually the most well phrased guitar solo I have ever heard. And Zappa never claimed to be a virtuoso or genius on the guitar or lyrically.

I'm sure you're going to belittle me because or regardless of my sincerity, but I do hope I have managed to educate you a little bit
>>
>>7697773
Beefheart was the actual asshole though.

Frank just sounded a dick, but had a good heart. Beefheart was a selfish, whiny, fuckhole. Basically the musical Klaus Kinski
>>
>>7697623
Not true at all.

You've had family unions which were stable way after industrialization. Also, why the hell would morality towards sexuality even exist without any conflicts?

In fact America's finest hour for family was during the apogee of american industry. In comparison everyone today would look like a hippy to the average industrial worker family of the 50s.

What ruined the family wasn't even the Free Love movement. Free Love was done by hrony teenagers convinced by creepy old men to have sex with each other and ignore the control of the family over sexuality.

But the Free Love generated a lot of regret soon after because of HIV and the need to justify the orgies. It wasn't until later on that government started subsidizing people's bad choices through the 60s+ welfare.

===
I assume that, through this perspective, the average priest talking about the importance of saving yourself to marriage in the middle-ages was like a SciFi author discussing about problems anachronic to their society. When in reality, being animals, sex has always been a recurrent event of life.
>>
>>7697780
What are you talking about lel, Zappa had no emotion.
>>7697786
Beefheart had far more creative talent though, musically and visually imo. Him being an ass didn't really effect his work either, unlike Zappa's stream of satirical pretention.
>>
>>7697780
>this obscure deep cut shows it's all good
thank you professor
>>
>>7697800
I quite like this family.
>>
>>7697800
>Zappa
>no emotion

Uh, he sounds furious as all goddamn to me. You can hear the fury even in instrumental tracks.

>>7697800
>more creativity
Yea, Beefheart is good. I like him, a lot. He had arguably more creativity than Zappa. I will agree with you on that much.

>pretentious
In order to be pretentious, you have to not know what you're talking about. He was pretentious sometimes, a lot of the stuff about aids and the government is pretty pretentious. But he could phrase the holy jesus out of anything, musically speaking

>>7697804
I knew somebody would say this shit. Rat Tomago on Sheik Yerbouti is not the original. It cuts out like two and a half minute in. I think the original is far superior
>>
>>7697822
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3cu8sDa90Y
>>
jazz fart
>>
>>7697827
>he sounds furious as all goddamn to me
Eh, it always sounds droning to me. That it's all socio-political and jokes doesn't help. Not to mention Beefhearts mad wolf singing stomps him there too.
I'm not saying he's talentless but he was never my cup of tea.
>>
>>7697856
That's how I've always found the reaction to Zappa: polarized. You're either a huge fan, or listen to a few albums and decide you don't like him (which is a perfectly fair way to do things, I usually only give artists one album). I guess I just picked the right albums to start with.

I was more concerned with what people had to say about my little high-school tier survey though
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.