[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where should I start with this bad boy?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 200px-Kierkegaard.jpg (11 KB, 200x296) Image search: [Google]
200px-Kierkegaard.jpg
11 KB, 200x296
Where should I start with this bad boy?
>>
page 1
>>
>>7697344
>not starting on page 0
>>
>>7697351
All those extra pages add up. Every few hundred books you start on page 0 equals oe more book you could have read starting on page 1. Hell, I sometimes start on page 4.
>>
>>7697306
Fear and Trembling, then The Sickness Unto Death. Both are pretty good introductory works into Soren's philosophy. Save Either/Or for after these. In my opinion it's easier to understand its context after understanding his stages/spheres and the general conception of despair. It's not impossible to read Either/Or first, but you'll get more out of it reading later on. Fear and Trembling also introduces you to a lot of his Hegelian terminology he uses throughout his oeuvre.

Works of Love and the artistry of Either/Or part one are must reads. Don't skip part two. It gets pretty good half-way through, but is a slog at the start. If you feel like giving up on K, at least read The Seducers' Diary, but don't give up on K. Works of Love is one of few big works that isn't written under and from the perspective of a pseudonym. It's K laying some beautiful shit on you, unadulterated.

Make note of what pseudonyms he uses and what they represent. Realize that they aren't Kierkegaard's personal opinion, but rather a way to sort of eliminate what is/isn't his philosophy through dialectics. K is a genius, an artist, and a great thinker. Go get lost in the labyrinth that is Kierkegaard.
>>
>>7697452
Not OP, but thanks for the helpful post!
>>
>>7697452

So what can you tell me about the name Johannes Climacus?
>>
>>7697674
Why does he wear the cross?
>>
>>7697674

A warning sign can't keep you from diving straight into the deep.

John Climacus, a sobriquet Kierkegaard adopted is the actual name of the author of the Ladder of Divine Ascent. A manual for monks and a text regarded as second to biblical scripture in Eastern Christianity. Beneath the charming metaphor and simplicity, are invisible messages to the uninitiated. Few books if any possess such illuminating radiance that they are both a torch of comfort and an facility to see just how deep the darkness is on all sides.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.