[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I want to be a huge sellout who writes a YA trilogy that gets
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: 11178910_ori.jpg (167 KB, 800x1200) Image search: [Google]
11178910_ori.jpg
167 KB, 800x1200
I want to be a huge sellout who writes a YA trilogy that gets adapted into a four-part movie series. What elements do I need to include besides a post-apocalypse, all adults being useless or evil, and shirtless dudes?
>>
>>7696742
Interesting hook, it has to be both similar/identical to YA and yet have a unique element to set it apart
>>
Plotholes, forced drama, ugly teenage female protag.
>>
>>7696742
Get a sex change or something.
>>
>>7696809
James Dashner
>>
>>7696781
just different enough that you cant be sued for IP infringement.
>>7696809
wow transfag, a pen name would do just fine.

>>7696785
just literally copy what /pol/ says about women. it's literally what they want
>successful strong powerful guy
>with 10" cock
>money
>attractive
>makes all her friends jealous
>what people think about what she does or believes actually matters

this is literally the womans checklist. so just make the shirtless guys all that and she gets to pick from a group of them. it's because pleb women define themselves by how much a man wants to put their dick inside of them.
>>
>post-apocalyptic

not played out?
>hunger games
>maze runner
>divergent
>the fifth wave
>>
>>7696836
ride the wave
you forgot the host
>>
>>7696840
except i feel like this wave has already crested with hunger games and is on it's way crashnig down. trick is to see the next good wave rolling in and jump on that one.

that being said, teen drama and adults are evil/useless are unchanging staples.
>>
>>7696742

a female protagonist
>>
who are the key character archetypes?

>smart, strong, capable, pretty-but-doesn't-know-it main girl
>dumb, weak, frightened, hot-and-vain girl
>handsome, capable-but-not-as-capable-as-the-main-girl, starts-with-crush-on-hot-girl-but-discovers-true-love-for-main-girl guy
>jerk guy who tries to take advantage of main girl but she outwits him and makes him all sulky
>nerd guy who puts main girl on pedestal, but gross, lol!
>>
>>7696742
>a late teen female with no discernible talents
>two male love interests, one of whom is exceptionally talented and gorgeous, the other who is average but OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU SINCE WE WERE FETUSES
>adult character who you think is on your side but turns out to be evil
>evil adult (preferably a man) who believes what he is doing is the best thing for mankind
>>
>>7696919
>two male love interests

which does she end up with? i'm guessing the dreamy hunk, and the childhood sweetheart sticks around for the rest of the series as her eunuch satellite?
>>
>>7696981
>>7696981
Initially, but then at the end of the series/film they realise just how much they are meant for each other, because after all this fits the SJW message of "it's what's on the inside that counts" when we all know that's bollocks.
>>
Why torture yourself by writing something like this
>>
>>7696985
makes sense. plus you don't want to alienate your audience of beta male readers who think they too will finally get the girl once she realizes what she really wants.
>>
You need to forget all the post-apocalyptic stuff because you have no idea what will be popular by the time you've finished writing it and it's out in the public sphere.
All adults are useless, keep that. Adults are people over 25 though, anyone younger than that needs to act like an adolescent. I think it would be a good idea to have some close friends of the female protagonist be unovertly trans; like Dumbledore being gay but slightly more obvious without being totally concrete about it. Something that trans-friendly people will see themselves as but without putting off the religious people who'd boycott it for that reason. Or even say fuck them, have the main character be trans, try and get publicity that way. People wanted to burn the HP books for witchcraft at the time.
>>
>>7696994
Genau
>>
LOVE TRIANGLES
>>
Rebelling against the gubbment, trendy ethics, romantic struggle.

Basic plot outline:
>north korea (universal bad guy right now) somehow nukes the entire world including themselves for some reason that will be disclosed later (it actually wasnt north koreas fault)
>NWO sets up domes to protect against radiation and the super crazy mutated animals that somehow changed radically in a mere 100 years since the bakuretsu
>everybody is a teenager except the gubbment and the newborns (which secretly have psychic powers like in Akira)
>teenagers are having too much sex so there are a lot of newborns
>gubbment makes teenage families fight against each-other; the loser has to leave but the winner stays and gets some kind of promotion that means they never have to fight again (but wait)
>gubbment: WE ARE RUNNING OUT OF PEOPLE TO MAKE FIGHT
>evil white cis male with eyepatch says they can make the babies fight
>if the babies fight they die regardless because their widdle brains can't handle it
>a revolt eventually happens after some Chad (who secretly has psychic powers and is actually an adult but a kool adult and is the origin of the newborns powers)'s babby is chosen to enter
>it's literally just Akira from now on but less gross
>movie ends in new universe thats perfect and full of love and no conservatives or bigots and has no minorities because every race is perfectly split as a fraction of the population
>but wait
>chad has prostate cancer due to his age and secret time training outside of the dome (thats were he got his powers)
>no one wants chad to die
>the newborns all sacrifice themselves to bring the world back to the way it was before the bombing
>a busy street: literally all white people (how horrific!)
>but then one black woman walks by
>and then more
>and more
>then a latino!
>The End
>oh and it was actually the gubbment that did the nuclears and the busy perfectly multicultural street they were on was actually in best korea
>The End ENd
>>
>>7696835
>wow transfag, a pen name would do just fine.
Not these days, an author is expected by the publisher to maintain a social media presence and once you're succesful you have to do TV shows and the like.

You can't pull a Pinecone any more.
>>
>>7696742
Parents who are in publishing
>>
Thinly-veiled liberalism and anti-fascism is a must.
>>
File: 1454853439273.jpg.png (83 KB, 255x213) Image search: [Google]
1454853439273.jpg.png
83 KB, 255x213
I honestly don't understand how these authors can live with themselves. So much effort put into writing such generic garbage.

Even worse are the infantalized college students who read it.

What the fuck is going on and why hasn't anyone stopped it?
>>
>>7698097
You say it like most of these kinds of writers are writing this purposely aware of what it is.

Most of them have the exact same kind of taste to the readers they are pandering to.
>>
Combine the two memepopular memegenres: YA and erotica. Young adult erotica is the next big thing, calling it now.
>>
>>7696742
You have to get lucky.

That's pretty much all there is to it.
>>
When in doubt, copy what's successful.

And if you want to seem original, copy what's successful elsewhere.

In otaku media in Japan, the current fad is reincarnation into a fantasy world. MC is usually some useless nerd in real world, dies and gets to reincarnate overpowered (or not, since the initial premise is already played out in Japan, so subversions appeared too).

Take the premise and make changes to make it appeal American teenage girls.

Girl dies in some accident, reincarnates (as herself, girls want to hear they're perfect the way they are), has some studs going after her. And the whole fantasy world clearly works like a high school cafeteria.

Done. Now write it.
>>
>>7698097
MONEY
and this >>7698172
>>
>>7696742
This gets posted from time to time. Thinking you can slum it up and write a hit YA series is batshit egomania, as if without ever creating anything you are somehow, ability wise, miles above churning out a bestseller.

With that said, just go to Amazon and research the market. The only true convention YA has is that it focuses on teens. and that adults have minimal impact in driving the story. Prose wise just write at your best, you can always edit out any original "good" prose, replacing them with safer cliches. this is what sellout authors do pretty much
>>
>>7696867
Thats what I'm doing. I'm predicting either spaceship like Star Wars, although the amount of SW being pumped out could easily saturate the market, or GoT-ripoff fantasy with a lot of scheming, although the time for that to take off might have passed.
>>
>>7698097
Harold Bloom tried to warn us
>>
>>7698172

This.

Pretty much any half-talented writer out there has the ability to churn out YA shit and make good money off of it. I'm sure many of the ones who follow the market have even given thought to it.

The problem is they can't bring themselves to do it. They'd hate themselves for it. They would rather languish in obscurity and poverty than sell out.

Truth of the matter is, writing YA trash requires that on some level you have a love of it.
>>
>>7698097
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/stephenie-meyer-net-worth/
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/suzanne-collins-net-worth/
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/james-dashner-net-worth/
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/veronica-roth-net-worth/
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/jk-rowling-net-worth/
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/john-green-net-worth/

i think they sleep okay
>>
>>7698354
sw momentum could go either way: inspire copycat productions, or completely dominate and drown them.

straight political fantasy seems weak, imo, especially with the recent dominant run of fantasy in a modern/near modern setting (harry potter, bartimaeus, his dark materials, artimus fowl)
>>
>>7698629
Yeah, I'm not actually expecting success with this strategy. I actually do like both of those things and enjoy ripping them off.
>>
>>7697407
Dude, can I use this?
>>
>>7698596
>http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/authors/jk-rowling-net-worth/

1 fucking billion
too much kek for my sides, I'm off to bed senpai
>>
>>7698845
too bad sw already did swords and wizards in space. :/

gotta find a novel way to combine the two.
>>
>>7698913

Eh, I'll at least give Rowling the credit of her books being the closest to not-shit out of that lot.

She also sat her ass down and finished the series after becoming filthy rich where most authors just get lazy and take forever. Respect for that.
>>
>>7698097
C.R.E.A.M.
>>
>>7699175
Continue Reaping Every Asshole's Money?
>>
>>7700017
pretty much
>>
>>7698097
>I honestly don't understand how these authors can live with themselves. So much effort put into writing such generic garbage.
The opinion of the literary community doesn't matter that much when you have millions of dollars in your pocket. When you grow older you don't care that much for being well-regarded by grumpy literary critics or anything else of your work, instead your main concern is making a good living, unless you're born in a quite wealthy family, then you don't have to worry that much about money.

Some people (many in fact) like to think they are sacrificing themselves for a higher art - something that will last beyond their death. Most of them (nearly all) have no talent to write literary fiction, not even YA-garbage, and thus think of themselves as one of the many writers that lived without any fame, a delusion to compensate their lack of talent.
>>
>>7700042

I was with someone in an emergency room overnight and the only thing they had was a kindle with the Hunger Games trilogy on it. I read through the first two overnight and my initial take was that the author had wanted to do something a little more adult, dystopian sci-fi, but was convinced to interject passages about pretty pretty dresses and a bolted-on teen romance to make it marketable.

My conclusion from that read is that it's not so much selling out as it is commensalism: you get to tell the story you wanted to tell, but you add on the marketable shit that is no real skin off your back to begin with.
>>
you need to have some implied homolust.
>>
>>7698220

Excellent. Include a very lengthy description of how everyone in the world is totally and completely devastated at their funerals before the reincarnation-

It will feed the narcissistic, infantile fantasies these girls have been nurturing whenever they non-seriously considered suicide.
>>
>>7698097
Not all paintings have to be Titian's.

My point is that even if you consider it trash, there are other people who are entertained by it. That's the point of art, to entertain. There is beauty in the simple, craft, and while certainly some things might actually be garbage, to suggest that YA as a whole is garbage is hipster nonsense.
>>
To be a popular YA fiction writer, you must appeal to young women, and to appeal to young women you must know what women want, which is a powerful, popular bad boy that only the main character girl can save from his own inner demons and get him in touch with his feelings, and he comes to desire only her but for whatever b.s. reason has to exercise willpower and only fuck her when she lets him, giving her complete power over him.

If you're canny you can probably tweak it in a way that criticizes this/offers a palatable alternative, but this is the classic set-up.
>>
>>7700017
Cash rules everything around me
>>
>>7701218
C.R.E.A.M, get the money
>>
>>7701222
Dolla dolla bill yoah!
>>
The YA ship has already sailed anon.
>>
https://twitter.com/dystopianya here is a great twitter that lists common ridiculous dystopian ya cliches...
to be honest with you though, there are thousands of people with the same idea as you these days. go to any bookstore and you'll see like 5 shelves dedicated to this trash by people trying to cash in on hunger games and diversion or whatever it's called.
you will not succeed at this because the market has already been dominated by people who are probably more capable writers than you or have a genuine passion for this genre - one example being cassandra claire; a landwhale who literally started out writing terrible harry potter fanfiction and is now rolling in hella $$$$$$ for her shit series which has a movie and now a tv series.
stephanie meyer, e.l james... theyre all terribly lonely women who write books that they themselves would want to read, which is exactly why they're so successful. there's probably some kind of formula for it, but unless you're really good, the fact that your heart isn't in it will probably be very obvious to your reader.
>>
File: 1401361086645.png (294 KB, 422x422) Image search: [Google]
1401361086645.png
294 KB, 422x422
>>7698194
This will happen, won't it.
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.