[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>intro to creative writing class. Professor wants us to write
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: 1446404592595.jpg (64 KB, 601x600) Image search: [Google]
1446404592595.jpg
64 KB, 601x600
>intro to creative writing class.

Professor wants us to write like murukami. Is this what you literary folks do ? Copy other writers style until it becomes your own ?
>>
>intro to mathematics class

Professor wants us to give proof of Turing's work. Is this what you mathematicians do? Copy other mathematicians work until you understand it?
>>
In my class we just wrote what we want and every student takes a copy home to critique, it was pretty fun. Although I kinda wished we talked about dramatic structure in a formal fashion, I had to learn all that stuff outside of class.
>>
>>7696476

No he makes us read it a lot. Like a lot
>>
Its certainly part of developing one's own voice. I'm not sure why your teacher has such a boner for Murakami, but your teacher must think there's something worthwhile for your class to learn from him.
>>
File: 1421511381157.png (11 KB, 300x188) Image search: [Google]
1421511381157.png
11 KB, 300x188
>>7696481
Care to share what you learned, anon?
>>
>>7696715
lol I was arguing about it in the other thread not long ago, but tl;dr check out "Art of Dramatic Writing" by Lajos Egri, its the real deal.

"Art of Fiction" by John Gardner is also good one too when it comes to literature specific stuff. Lajos's book centers around plays but the exact same principles apply to all stories.
>>
>>7696470
this is what artists do, yes. in order to paint you must learn the media. you do this by performing simple repetitive exercises until you learn how to do it.

carpenters learn usually starting with missionary style furniture. or just a polished cheap hewn slab with legs. then move on to fancy steam bending modern art shit.

if you go to university expecting your teacher to spoon feed you how to write the next harry potter novel then you are not going to get what you expected. school will not make you a great artist. but it might teach you some skills required to use the media.

>>7696481
we learnt dramatic structure in primary school. I assume you are american. God Bless The American Education System!

>>7696711
its a popular style. it sells books. plebs love it. you must be able to use a style that will catch peoples attention.

the thing is, people need to relate to what you are saying. and they are going to relate to your characters, your plot, your environment if it's familiar. you need it to be familiar. otherwise it's too difficult and you wont sell books.

you know most people who do creative writing degrees don't actually become best selling authors? a lot of them end up writing scripts, being told what to do, how to write, for the style of a particular company. magazines, script writers, television writers, advertisement, newspapers, journalists. you need to be able to write in someone elses style to work for a company. you're not going to graduate and complete your first epic six months later. take a look at rod serling. he cut his teeth working 12 years as a television writer, writing testimonials for infomercials. writing sponsor speeches, writing utter bullshit he hated. then he started writing creatively for a production company. go watch barton fink for a better understanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK0WjWlVO9w
>>
>>7696774
>we learnt dramatic structure in primary school. I assume you are american. God Bless The American Education System!
im not talking about basic 3/5-act shit, i mean how characters are meant to tell their own story
>>
>>7696711

He said he would sleep with murukami if he was a woman.>>7696711
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.