[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has a book or story ever made you shed tears, /lit/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11
File: 1445735627427.jpg (59 KB, 919x720) Image search: [Google]
1445735627427.jpg
59 KB, 919x720
Has a book or story ever made you shed tears, /lit/?
>>
Yes. When Lee Scoresby and Hester in The Subtle Knife

Don't know why, it just hurt me real bad. Other people who have read it that I have spoken to have been blasé about it. heartless cunts
>>
Some parts of The Brothers K
>>
In Madame Bovart, when Eva gets married and her father sees her leaving the village and remembers when he was young. Powerful stuff.
>>
>>7695800
When Peer Gynt's mom dies. I also laughed when Peer tells St. Peter to accept his mom but that he shouldn't expect to see Peer around there anytime soon.
>>
>>7695800
The ending of The Sirens of Titan. That shit kicked me square in the nuts. Though I was going through a lot of awful family crap at the time so it caught me when I was particularly vulnerable to something like that.
>>
>>7695805
meme answer my friend
>>
nope
a couple parts in Gravity's Memebow almost, and one Yeats poem almost
>>
tfw to indulgent to produce tears
>>
The ending of Ulysses.
>I thought well as well him as another
>>
I've never cried while reading a book, but I've been considerably moved on a few occasions. There's a part in Svetlana Aleksievich's Voices from Chernobyl where a soldier who'd been tasked with putting down irradiated animals tells of having to bury a puppy alive because his unit had expended all of their bullets. Something about that has stuck with me ever since I read it.

Fiction-wise, In Marlon James' A Brief History of Seven Killings features a pretty tragic scene also involving live burial.

The final section of Siddhartha affected me quite a lot, more on an existential level though.
>>
Had to struggle through the ending of Stoner when his daughter was apologizing or whatever. That and the part in Gravity's Rainbow when the one guy suspects Blicero is sending him different girls each year instead of his real daughter.

Looking forward to reading Mason & Dixon because I've seen a number of posters on /lit/ calling it the only book that's made them cry
>>
Joyce's A Little Cloud was rough to get through. Probably because I'm such a shitty person I was able to identify with it.
>>
File: 1446063040787.jpg (206 KB, 989x716) Image search: [Google]
1446063040787.jpg
206 KB, 989x716
As close to crying as I've been able to come, the last 2 pages of Jo Ann Beard's essay "Bonanza". Hit me right in the childhood ennui.
>>
>>7695835
If you didn't at least get a bit watery at Ilyusha's funeral then you're barely even human.
>>
Not really.
I only cry when something hurts really fucking bad or I made a really big mistake,that is hard to correct.
>>
From the top of my head, I've shed tears while reading:

>Crime and Punishment
>The Brothers Karamazov
>For Whom the Bell Tolls
>King Lear
>Of Mice and Men
>Death in Midsummer
>Stoner
>The New Testament
>>
>>7695800
The Bell Jar and I don't even give a fuck.
>>
File: Elliot Cheers.jpg (27 KB, 360x433) Image search: [Google]
Elliot Cheers.jpg
27 KB, 360x433
My Twisted World.
>>
>>7696012
ChroooooOooooooottt!!!!
>>
Flowers for Algernon

Tramp Anon
>>
>>7695804
This was a big one, hadn't really experienced death in a book before. He seemed like such an underdeveloped character, so I was really surprised when he died. That and his type seemed timeless and unkillable, you know?
>>
>>7695902
She said yes though. Repeatedly.
>>
>>7695800
Kafka's letter to his father. It was almost identical to my relationship with my father.
>>
>>7695800
End of Song of Kali
>>
>>7696385
Also the parts in Stoner and Siddartha when their kids pretty much inform them that they are full of shit, and the end of Churchill's Marlborough biography where he is dying in his bed while his daughters and wives fight over him.

Basically shitty family scenes
>>
>>7695804
I think that Lee's death I'm not using spoiler tags these are kiddy books was painful for similar reasons to Sirius Black's in the HP universe. They both play the part of substitute father figures who swoop in and care for the protagonists in ways that Lord Asriel or whomever never did, then die before they have the chance to let anyone down.

Yes, HDM was better than HP, but Black's death hurt a lot of HP fans. I'm just drawing similarities, not saying I felt the same way.
>>
>>7695800

The Overcoat had me at some points. The ending of the Squabble as well. Gogol is the undisputed God of the short story.
>>
>>7695969

Uh-huh. It didn't make me tearful, but it did make me cringe in recognition. I think a lot of people are able to identify with it. Some people are pettier and more cowardly than others, but I think very, very few are exempt from ever being petty or cowardly.

>He remembered the books of poetry upon his shelves at home. He had bought them in his bachelor days and many an evening, as he sat in the little room of the hall, he had been tempted to take one down from the bookshelf and read out something to his wife. But shyness always held him back; and so the books had remained on their shelves.

Being in my early twenties, god damn do I hope I never end up like that.
>>
>>7696012

I oscillated between amusement at how huge a faggot he was and sadness at how much he and his victims must have suffered due to that faggotry.
>>
Yes, plenty: The Brothers K., Crime and Punishment, The Idiot, The Torrents of Spring, Fathers and Sons, Don Quixote
>>
The hobbit ending made me cry
>>
the road, the alchemist, flowers for algernon

Shed a tear during siddhartha for some reason dunno
>>
Cry? No. I did have a miscarriage after reading atlas shrugged though...
>>
The last sentence of 1984 made me tear up when I read it in 9th grade.

Bridge of Birds made me cry at a couple points. Such a more heartfelt book than I expected.

The Road made me cry like last week.
>>
>>7696674
Oh fuck. You just reminded me of The Road.
>>
For some odd reason I teared up at the end of The Adventures of Caleb Williams. Nothing makes me cry harder than "The Ballad of Reading Gaol."
>>
King Lear at multiple times. When Cordelia and Lear reconcile, and of course at
>Howl, howl, howl, howl! Oh, you are men of stones!
>Had I your tongue and eyes, I'd use them so
>That heaven's vault should crack!

Also The Dead
>>
Yes, it happens occasionally, and especially when I recognise myself in the character, when it deals with some form of noble sacrifice, or suicide. Last time was when I read Atomised by Houellebecq. The character Michel struck a nerve with me, and I cried when [/spoiler]his relationship with Annabelle fizzles out into nothing because he can't bring himself to act[/spoiler].
Other books of the top of my head are
> The Old Man and the Sea
> Islands in the Stream
> The Sorrows of Young Werther
> Notes From the Underground
> Gates of Fire
> The Hobbit
> The Trail

I might be a pathetic bitch
>>
I'm a sensitive dude, but after finishing most long books I cry. I feel like I've lost a friend/friends, especially after spending hours and weeks with the characters in their world. A short list of ones that've done it most:

Sons and Lovers
Tender is the Night
Of Mice and Men
War and Peace
The Age of Innocence (most by far. I cried like a baby, not just shed a couple tears)
The Last of the Mohicans
Wuthering Heights
The Brothers Karamazov (funeral scene did me hard)
>>
Honestly, I know this is probably going to be considered a meme answer, but "The Metamorphosis". He didn't deserve that fate, man. He just wanted to provide for his family.

Also, "Of Mice and Men" gets me every time. It's themes of loneliness and fruitless struggle are sad enough, but then that ending comes around...
>>
very hungry caterpillar, desu. i lost it when he got to the pickle
>>
>>7696533

>the alchemist,

Me too. It happened some 10 minutes in, when I realized it was the only audiobook I had for a 12 hour bus ride.
>>
>>7696841

Oh Lennie..

Agree with the metamorphosis too, though I didn't actually cry, it was profoundly sad. The part where he ruminates on how he wanted to send his sister to the conservatory nearly got me.
>>
>>7695800
No, of course not. I engage with texts in a Brechtian capacity. To become emotionally invested would be to overlook deeper meanings.
>>
I can't remember every actually crying when reading a book, but strangely enough I found Venus In Furs upsetting and difficult to read because it had parallels to something I was going through. I had recently started sleeping with a girl who I also considered my closest friend, and I eventually felt comfortable enough to tell her one of my biggest secrets - that I'm a masochist. She was supportive, but didn't express much of an interest in playing a dominant role herself. A couple of months later she seemed to be getting frustrated ("I don't know whether it's a good thing or a bad thing that you're not the type of guy who will just throw me on the bed and fuck me as soon as he sees me") and a couple of months after that she lost interest completely and, without speaking to me first to break it off, dumped me for a much more traditionally macho/alpha guy (a soldier).

I read Venus In Furs a couple of weeks after that when I was still trying to process everything and prentending that I was ok with it. I got pretty emotional reading it and absolutely hated it, because deep down I knew it was true. The vast majority of women are naturally inclined to fall in love with men who are more dominant than them, and don't really respect submissive men (even if they humor them for a while). It's a pretty bleak outlook for submissive men, but I think it's also an honest one.
>>
>>7695839
>>7695959
Every Roger Mexico chapter in GR felt like a knife in my weak little beta heart
>>7696820
If you highlight what you want to use spoiler tags on and hit ctrl+s, it will automatically put the right formatting in for you
>>
the fall of hyperion had a section that was pretty fuckin devastating
>>
Where the Red Fern Grows
>>
“He has come across a love story. This is only a love story. He does not wish for plot and all its consequences. Let me stay in this field with Alice Gull. . . .” (160) Cried when I reached this part during my second read through of In the Skin of a Lion because I knew "the plot and all its consequences."
>>
Is there anything that will make me shed bitch tears like Keyshit?
>>
O Tempo e o Vento
>>
>>7696987
The ending of A Farewell To Arms.
>>
File: 1455036582693.png (324 KB, 467x590) Image search: [Google]
1455036582693.png
324 KB, 467x590
>>7697069
I've read The Old Man and the Sea and it was shit.
>>
>>7695989

The one on the left is an edit, just in case somebody thought Stallman was that kind of creep.
>>
File: dworkin_quote1.png (236 KB, 428x526) Image search: [Google]
dworkin_quote1.png
236 KB, 428x526
I literally cried while reading some parts of Dworkin's books. I think specifically it was Our Blood, but might have been Life and Death too, not sure.

Struggle for human dignity hits me right in the feels.
>>
I read the last chapter of A Tale of Two Cities with tears dripping onto the pages.
>>
The introduction to "The Book of Disquiet", actually. I felt myself noticing how so much of what I wanted to be able to say, or at least to have heard from what I try to say, is what people either attribute to or directly take from Pessoa's work, and... I don't know. It was an unusual and unprecedented sense of sympathy for someone whose work I hadn't even begun to read. Going through the book has only cemented those sympathies, even if they are for a fictional character/'semiheteronym'. Maybe this is just what I needed to read at this point in life, idk.
>>
File: 1454334175704.jpg (72 KB, 600x436) Image search: [Google]
1454334175704.jpg
72 KB, 600x436
Full Metal Alchemist made me tear up numerous times, both 2003 and Brotherhood
>>
I almost cried the first time I read The Metamorphosis.

I was 15.
>>
>>7695800
No, I'm physically unable to cry as an adult.
even when I want to
>>
File: LastTemptation.jpg (61 KB, 234x352) Image search: [Google]
LastTemptation.jpg
61 KB, 234x352
Pic related.
I felt bad for Judas. They were all set and ready to fuck the system up and then Jesus pussied out.
>>
>>7696862
What's with the hate on the alchemist

It's lighthearted with a good message.
>>
>>7697616
>Coelho
>good message
>>
The ending to The Road.
>>
Don Quixote
>but what about being a shepard?
>>
>>7698887
Chroooooooooottt
>>
>>7697149
The guy advocates pedophilia and eats shit off of his own feat. He is definitely some kind of creep.
>>
>>7698898
Chroooooooooottttt aaahhhh Chroooooooooottt
>>
>>7698897
>>7698902
What the fuck? Get out you filthy foreigner.
>>
>>7698898
hello l-eddit
>>
>>7695800
Last one to do so was Where the Red Fern Grows. I'm a bitch when it comes to dogs dying.
>>
All Quiet On The Western Front, Slaughterhouse-Five and Catch-22 all made me cry a bit.
War books give me feels
>>
Mishimas confessions of a mask made me just look at a tree for an hour feeling total emptiness holy shit that ending made me feel like dying. Sailor who fell was brutal too as was spring snow. Im bout to read golden pavillion and i just know im gonna be fucked. Book of disquiet from the parts ive read is horrifyingly accurate and makes me want to scream. Scarier than any horror book. This shit makes me want to die. Some burroughs stories make me feel sad because it makes me feel like an alien. Never cried wanted to i just Cant
>>
>>7698914
Chroooooooooottt O ChrooooooooOoottt!
>>
>>7696932
Which was that? I remember Hyperion almost brought me to tears, specifically the scholar's story with his daughter aging backwards.
>>
>>7695800
Chrrrrrroooooooooooooooooott!!
>>
It's pretty rare, even though I do respond to books on a pretty visceral sense. I just don't cry very often. Other than having come close to shedding a tear or two over the death of Antonin Scalia two days ago (no joke; and not because I'm bigoted/homophobic/whatever other false pejoratives people want to use to describe him), I can't remember the last time I really cried.

I do remember getting really choked up at the end of Remains of the Day. The end of that book hit me hard.
>>
i don't remember ever crying but once when i was a kid i was reading a collection of short stories before going to bed. in one of them a boy ends up killing a dog becaue it bit him earlier and i threw the book to the other side of the room and went to sleep all depressed
>>
Not due to the story as intended by the author, or producers if its a movie, but from random things that strike some nostalgia or resonate with me in some way
>>
>>7699935
Chroooooooooo00000ooottt
>>
The Count of Monte Cristo when Edmond meets Mércèdes in his father's house in Marseilles after everything and they can barely talk to one another and basically the entire ending.

Legitimately the only book I've ever read that merits a true 10/10, greatest ride of my life
>>
>>7695800
Of Mice and Men was pretty close. I finished it last month after forgetting about it while reading it in school and it nearly made me shed tears. That ending, man…
>>
>>7695800
I didn't cry, but the ending of The Lime Twig made me pretty emotional.
>>
>>7695800
peep that spotted cow beer, WI represent
>>
I kind of cried while reading The Old Man and the Sea

I also cried when reading the bible

nothing in other books, aside of the typical post-ending depression state
>>
File: image.png (395 KB, 1008x389) Image search: [Google]
image.png
395 KB, 1008x389
>>7695800
The Metamorphosis makes me tear up every time I finish it.

Faust Part II and Night on the Galactic Railroad made me tear up the first time I finished them.
>>
>>7700053
Will I like it if Winter of Our Discontent is a favourite of mine?
>>7700040
>>7700094
Ughh.
>>
>>7695800
When I finished Thus Spoke Zarathustra
>>
>>7695998
I finished Bros. K on a train and started to quietly sob. The guy next to me shuffled around uncomfortably.

Under the Volcano hit me pretty hard, what with some many immediate family members being alcoholics.
>>
When I finished the last word of In Search of Lost Time.
I literally searched for about 30 minutes for the next volume until I realized there was no more.
Had an actual psychotic breakdown (of course alone, quietly, in my own room) and afterwards I didn't talk to anyone or leave the house for like a week.
>>
>>7702753
Oi vey
>>
>>7702607
>Under the Volcano
>read synopsis
>it tells you how it ends
Everyfuckingtime. Pure rage.
>>
>>7697311
This. The last paragraph made me tear up for days afterwards, just reflecting on it.
>>
When Liu Bei, Guan Yu, and Zhuge Liang died
>>
Yu Hua's To Live, when the MC begs the army commander to let him home.
>>
File: 1420445156489.gif (1 MB, 294x196) Image search: [Google]
1420445156489.gif
1 MB, 294x196
>>7695800
>Chickmeme Soup for the Meemage Soul

There was a story in it about some old man who was getting to old to keep his dog, so he had to give it away to some other family who he knew would treat his dog veddy nicely.

I was probably around 14 at the time, but it was just so sad ;_;
>>
>>7696833
The Age of Innocence made me cry pretty badly too.

Also:

My Ántonia
Great Expectations
Gravity's Rainbow
The Smith of Wootton Major
Where the Red Fern Grows
A Memory of Light (several times, but mostly when a certain archer dies)
>>
>>7699874
>whatever other false pejoratives
lel
>>
90% of the fiction I've read has made me cry. Nothing particularly sad needs to happen, if one character does something rather sweet for another then the tears are coming.
>>
Leaves of grass fucked me up. I thought I was heartless.
>>
>>7698872

>that last paragraph

Cried not out of sadness, but because of how fucking perfect it was
>>
Sirius by Olaf Stapleton

not sure why people were so affected by GR tbf

Crime and Punishment ruined about 3 of my weeks
>>
File: lfc.jpg (8 KB, 190x265) Image search: [Google]
lfc.jpg
8 KB, 190x265
>ctrl+f
>no celine

The ending of Journey to the End of the Night made me cry.
>>
Confession of a mask
Fathers and sons
>>
>>7703650
Fuck off with that gif. That short broke my heart first time watching and here you are posting the moment that made me break down in tears.

DELETE THIS NOW!!
>>
The Things They Carried
>>
>>7701872

don't be a fucking faggot, op is asking what books made us cry, he doesn't mention nothing about "the best books for crying"
>>
>>7705469
We both know the only reason why people are in this thread is to get recs, no one cares what you cry at.
>>
One lone tear for Helen Burns.
Thread replies: 110
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.