[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
A few weeks ago I read 3 short novels (in the miso soup, piercing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: In_the_Miso_Soup_Cover.jpg (23 KB, 200x310) Image search: [Google]
In_the_Miso_Soup_Cover.jpg
23 KB, 200x310
A few weeks ago I read 3 short novels (in the miso soup, piercing and audition) by Japanese author ryu murakami and thoroughly enjoyed. Has anyone read these books, and maybe could recommend any similar artists? I'm looking for disturbing themes that make the reader feel uneasy but is also captivating. Any help would be incredible thanks.
Also, sorry if this post doesn't read very well, I'm coming down from a very big weekend and am struggling to string sentences together :)
>>
Try his movies

or Jack Ketchum, or even Palahanananiuk
>>
>>7695627
His best is Coin Locker Babies you haven't read Ryu until you've read that
>>
>>7695631
Great thanks heaps!
>>
>>7695634
I have a copy on e-reader. It's definately next in line. When I read the blurb I thought maybe it's not for me but I guess I should have a cracked considering how much I enjoyed his other work. Have you read 69 or almost transparent blue?
>>
>lol guys look shit BOOKS
>btw Im high xD
>>
>>7695639
I have read both. 69 is great but is very lighthearted compared to the rest of his work. Almost Transparent Blue is solid but drenched in acid and acid worship so it is not for everyone.
>>
>>7695648
Thanks heaps!!
>>
>>7695627
John Hawkes fits what you asked for pretty well.
>>
>>7695645
What don't you like about them?
>>
>>7695676
Thank you. I'll check him out. Any particular novel you would recommend?
>>
>>7695685
The Cannibal is probably the most like what you're looking for.
>>
>>7695701
Thanks very much
>>
I read Miso Soup... I liked it but I thought his characters were a little shallow. I'm not sure how serious he is taken in the literary world since he relies on gore so much. Then again there are people like Tarantino who do the same and are critically acclaimed.
>>
>>7695723
Yeah I wouldn't call him a literary genius but so often I start books and find that I'm bored by an authors attempt to seem profound and it just comes across as being contrived or something and I find that really challenging to stay engaged with. I think that's why I enjoyed murakami so much, because it was pretty short, straight forward and exciting and eery which was a nice change. Obviously I don't think every author is as I described above tho...also I read the English translation of his novels which maybe you did too, and that possible removed a certain something from his original writings maybe?
>>
>>7695757
I feel like he definitely tries to be profound at times, particularly with the robot dudes monologues, and I think that's where he is at his weakest.. And yes read it in translation too.
>>
>>7695766
Actually yeah I kind of agree with you regarding the monologues of that guy frank. But I did really like his character. Seemed like such a sinister asshole
>>
I have read In The Miso Soup, since I needed some modern books too, not only Heian period stuff.

Can't say it really catched me too much. Well, I've read during one day when I was in the local election committee in my village, so I didn't really have time to get into it properly, finished it too fast,
>>
>>7695627
Hideo Okuda - Lala Pipo!
Thank me later.
>>
>>7695627

The Collector by John Fowles
The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.