[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some good war books lit? I've only read The Things
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4
File: the things they carried.jpg (30 KB, 332x500) Image search: [Google]
the things they carried.jpg
30 KB, 332x500
What are some good war books lit? I've only read
The Things they Carried - O'Brien
The Face of War - Gellhorn
>>
In Pharaoh's Army-Tobias Wolff

you're welcome
>>
>>7695446
Also Storm of Steel.
>>
>>7695446
Infantry Attacks (WW1, tactics heavy but autobiographical)

Read Storm of Steel and All Quiet on the Western Front together, both memoirs (WW1)

The collected works of Wilfred Owen (poetry, WWI)

Company Commander (WW2, memoir)

Catch-22 (WW2)

Platoon Leader (Vietnam, memoir),

Fields of Fire (Vietnam, fiction)

Trees of Smoke (Vietnam, fiction)

Dien Cai Dau (Vietnam, poetry)

Fiasco (Iraq, contemporary history)

I haven't read any fiction from recent wars. Lots of people recommend The Unforgiving Minute (Afghanistan, memoir) but as a lieutenant who served in Afghanistan, I think the author's a bitch.

Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk got decent reviews (Iraq, fiction) but I've never read it.
>>
The Iliad
>>
>>7695566
seconded
>>
>>7695555
the guy who wrote dien cai dau is a graduate of my school
>>
File: IMG_20160214_183915744.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160214_183915744.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>7695446
Read O'Briens other work if you liked the things they carried, I really did. Also, pic related is probably the best book about war that I've come across.
>>
>>7695555
All Quiet on the Western Front
>>
Gravity's Rainbow
>>
Blood Meridian
>>
>>7695555
I second Tree of Smoke.
>>
>>7695446
Mother Courage and her Children
>>
>>7695555
All Quiet on the Western Front is not a memoir. Good list nonetheless
>>
>>7695689
This is the only book on war you need to read. Every other will try desperately to humanize or romanticize the phenomenon and McCarthy will disintegrate these notions utterly.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.