[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This book has a really good reputation for some reason. Does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5
This book has a really good reputation for some reason.

Does it actually deserve it?
>>
>>7694331
Carnegie was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7694353
I tend to agree, the book screams memeliterature starting at the title.
>>
>>7694353
nice copy pasta, its actualy a very good book, and very satisfying to read, id reccomend it, even if you have no interest in buissness its still a good read
>>
File: descarga.jpg (11 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
descarga.jpg
11 KB, 225x225
>self help
>>
>>7694331
Good if you lived in the early 50's
>>
>>7694373
>copy pasta
what?
>>
A really good reputation with whom?
>>
>>7694397
with people in general
>>
>>7694392
lol, newfag
>>
>>7694408
>first time it's ever been posted
>calling it a copy pasta
>calling other people newfags
?
>>
File: 1443970808023.jpg (38 KB, 670x307) Image search: [Google]
1443970808023.jpg
38 KB, 670x307
>>7694392
let me link you to a similar post, only the names of the autors have changed,
>>7692395>
>>7694353
>>
>>7694423
Saw it in a thread yesterday.
>>
>>7694423
please refer to the following linked post, newfag
>>7694472
>>
>>7694423
It's in 5 or 6 other threads now alone.

Also, you should recognize even vaguely Nabokovian memery.
>>
>>7694331
How to Win Friends and Influence People was a meme author and had no discernable talent. Hr was just shiteposting and was literally genre tier fiction. Clearly a juvenile writer.
>>
god damnit /lit/

is it overrated or not
>>
>Just ask for the manager, shake his hand and ask for a job: The Book
>>
Don't be yourself: The Book: The Meme: The Jewish Conspiracy

Only cucks read it.

HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER HEIL HITLER
>>
Boy, this thread went to shit fast.
Might as well delete it, op
>>
>>7694383
>self improvement is bad
>>
>>7694576
this sentiment is often a shibboleth of a lazy/entitled/USI millenial/redditor tbqh
>>
>>7694473
same
>>
>>7694331
read it and find out
>>
There's lots of good advice in that book which would actually help many of the "losers" around here in their personal lives and in interacting with others.
>>
>>7695031
this is true, but it is very superficial. it is only because of abject failings here that it would be so helpful.
>>
>>7695063
Its not superficial, you have to actually apply what it says to get to the real meat. Reading isnt enough.
>>
If you're going to read a business focused 'self help' book, you should read this one. All of the rest just restate the same basic premise laid down in this book.

What I got out of it:

Listen, listen INTENTLY, and don't talk. In other words, people love to hear themselves talk and anyone who actually listens to them ramble gains brownie points. You can establish a rapport with someone simply by not tuning them out.

You might think that it's barely worth stating but consider how we talk to one another, especially strangers in those surface level chats. Do you find yourself thinking about what you're going to say rather than listening to every word being said? Do you ever find yourself thinking, "I have a great story like that!" and try to remember the details, waiting in anticipation for your chance to talk?

If you pay attention to the behavior of someone with a 'silver tongue' (as I did working with skilled salesmen for a time), you will see that they don't actually charm people with words. Instead, they ask questions and actually remember the answers. That's it. You check in one a contact you haven't talked with in a few weeks and ask, "Did you end up getting that car fixed?" The average person turns into a teenage girl and thinks, "omg he totally cares about me <3!" They respond with, "HOW MANY CASES CAN I BUY!?" That's why the executive level sales types play golf all the time. The true name of the game is business rapport bordering on friendship.
>>
>book says to listen 25% of the time

what the fuck happens when two people who have read this book meet
>>
>>7695172
supernova
>>
No. Carnegie is the cancer of psychology. People think of him and Freud when they think of psychology, and I don't know which is worse.
>>
I avoided this book for years, because of the self-help title which I think is very unfortunate. I read it two months ago, in my mid twenties, and I can't believe how much it would have helped to have read it earlier.

Reading this makes interpersonal relations a breeze, seriously suddenly so much more makes sense. Definitely read it and just see what you think
>>
>>7694331
no, it's too basic and vanilla

read keith johnstone's impro, it's far better, even when its about impro theater
>>
>>7695119
this

also confirm to people that their jobs are hard etc., for example if you need to tell someone they did a bad job: "It must be very stressful doing <what you do> , especially with all those <special circumstance/annoyance>. We're glad to have someone like you doing it. Just one thing, could you in the future <not make this mistake again>"
>>
>>7694331
It gives useful advice but people use it in the wrong way. You should treat the people you deal with with dignity, understanding, and respect, but don't try to suck up to them or placate those that clearly have it out for you.

I've heard that the book makes you into a pushover, but that's wrong, you will just become a more browbeaten pushover if you were one already.
>>
>>7694331
>self help
>genre fiction
pile of shit and I've never read it.

look you're here, on 4chan. the key to success for anons is to just never ever tell anyone what is on your mind. we are broken twisted people. just never ever reveal the horrors of your psyche. then just act like a normal person. help people out, but cut them off if they do the whole, lol I'm such a clever user and you're a pathetic beta bullshit too often. talk in simple language and be friendly. it's that easy.
>>
File: 773ulQc.png (571 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
773ulQc.png
571 KB, 1280x720
>>7694645
self help does not help people. it just makes them buy more self help books and gives really bad advice.

one of the memes around lately is, "date yourself." sad mentally ill cat women tell me what a revelation it has been for them. it breaks my heart it is so so so so so so fucking so so sad.
>>
>>7694331

How To Be a Doormat and Let People Walk All Over You is one of the most overrated books ever. The guidelines might have been useful at the time of being written, but now society is much different and these tips are common sense if you aren't a naturally rude urbanite. All in all it's an archaic book that holds little value. Find a more recently written book.

How to Stop Worrying by Carnagie is okay.
>>
File: 12176421.jpg (18 KB, 258x400) Image search: [Google]
12176421.jpg
18 KB, 258x400
>>7696722
>try smiling more when engaged in a conversation
>LOL WHAT A DOORMAT YOU PUSSY
>>
>>7694549

Look at what >>7694391 and >>7695119 said.

What >>7696722 said is vaguely applicable, but only to someone who would have no need to read the book. I think that Carnegie once described it as a "textbook for basic human interaction" (or something akin to that)? That would be a nice descriptor, I think. HtWFaIP is by no means a panacea for social woes or a religious text to be followed to the letter, but it can help open your eyes and inspire conclusions about ways that you are miscommunicating and failing to get along with other people. Beneath all else, the book is a great list of things to consider when dealing with other people (both in business and social contexts) with plenty of antiquated examples to illustrate the points being made.
>>
>>7695119
Yeah, this was far and away the best lesson from the book that doesn't require any "faking" to improve on. It wasn't until I met a really good listener that I realized how much it means to people.
>>
>>7694331
It's just generic common sense shit. So unless you're an autistic person I wouldn't waste my time with it.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.