[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sir Gawain
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1
File: download.jpg (15 KB, 211x239) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
15 KB, 211x239
Does anybody know of any book(s) that might contain any or all of these?
-Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
-Sir Gawain and the Carlse of Carlisle
-The Knightly Tale of Gologras and Gawain
>>
>>7693901
the internet
>>
>>7693941
I failed so i came to the real internet
>>
gawain and the green knight will be in any anthology of early of english literature. i have two that have it-norton's and anderson/buckler.
>>
man, gawain is my favourite. once you're done with these, check out the birtwistle opera and ishiguro's buried giant
>>
>>7693901
Sir Gawain was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7693981
I just read The Buried Giant and loved it haha thats why im searching for these
>>
What about amadigi de gaula?
>>
>>7694206
What about it?
>>
>>7694315
> not knowing the bravest errant chevalier
>>
>>7694363
I just asked about Gawain, sooo...
>>
Oxford World's Classics have an edition of Gawain and the Green Knight
>>
>>7693901
Only ever heard of Green Knight actually. Are the others similar (and/or good)?
>>
>>7693997
>Sir Gawain
>author
Is this post-invasion /lit/? People will incoherently spout and combine memes regarding something they know literally nothing about?
>>
>>7694786
oh fuck off, stop white knighting a guy who's long dead
>>
Is anybody familiar with the differences between the Penguin, Dover, Norton, and Oxford editions of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight? The amazon reviews arent much help
>>
>>7695124
Kill yourself, stop condoning the descent of this board into dogshit.
>>
>>7696498
Still OP, also the Simon Armitage and Michael Morpurgo editions compared and contrasted to these ive already mentioned- if anyone knows
>>
>>7696498
>>7696514
Still OP- Tolkiens edition too
>>
Bumping, would like to hear lits opinion on the best translation.
>>
>>7694166
it's good, but vastly different to the rest of his stuff
not that he's stuck to a particular genre
>>
>>7696498
Broadview is the best edition
>>
>>7698623
The broadview is the best translation and it provides the Middle English parrele
>>
>>7699595
>>7699597
Why?
>>
Anybody know?
>>
>>7700421
>>7702863
As a TA, the easy answer would be that they used it as their intro text and are biased towards it. Not that this is actually the case, but still.

Personally I favour Battles' translation for teaching - the Broadview edition is certainly most accessible for students.

If you claim to be a learned Arthurian scholar, then you should already know that 1) alliterative translations are the bestest, and 2) Tolkien has translated it.

>Extra homework: non-alliterative translations by Armitage and Borroff are also well-crafted and lack any serious defects.
>>
Pick one with the Middle English. Doubly obligatory if you pick one that isn't alliterative.
>>
OP here. Ive gone for Tolkien, Borroff, and Winny. Thanks a bunch yall
>>
How is Thomas Hahn's Sir Gawain: Eleven Romances and Tales?
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.