[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Faulkner?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (4 MB, 2507x3526) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 MB, 2507x3526
How do I into Faulkner?
>>
>>7693802
As I lay dying first
>>
>>7693806
I've tried to read it twice and I'm about to start over again. I'm pretty new to literature in general, any tips on comprehending everything that goes on here?
>>
Faulkner was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. Clearly a juvenile author.
>>
>>7693816
google, wikipedia, sparknotes, reread, secondary literature, google
>>
>>7693816
Don't necessarily do everything >>7693832 says. Secondary sources cloud personal meaning/interpretation. Read through it one time through normally, then read through it a second time and pay attention to each narrator, their reasoning and discrepancies. Pay attention to shifts in character as well, and where those shifts occur.
All it requires is a little bit of effort on your part–shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>>7693802
Faulkner was a meme author, and had no discernible talent. He was shitposting, and is literally genre tier fiction. clearly a juvenile author.
>>
Absalom, Absalom! imotbh. Not trolling
>>
>>7693802
After trying some of his better-known stuff and failing, I eventually finished something by him when I read Pylon and Sanctuary. Neither is very good, though.
>>
>>7693970
That's his best work, but also one of his least approachable works.

OP, start with AILD, move on to a few short stories, and then work your way up to Absalom. All his works share a geography and characters, so the more you read the more things will click into place.
>>
Is this important to read Faulkner in english, or is he translatable?
>>
>>7693982
I'd agree with this. Definitely do not start with Absalom, Absalom. Definitely read The Sound and the Fury prior to reading that one.
I have heard Light in August is his most approachable work of his best (he's got a few novels that are easy but less important to his ouevre) but I've yet to read it.

Anyone read Go Down, Moses? I've read Was, the first story in it, but I've yet to read anything else. I found Was very difficult but a really rewarding read. Plan on reading Go Down, Moses from start to finish after finishing Gravity's Rainbow.
>>
>how do i into <insert author>

You read their works in chronological order. Now, this question can finally be laid to rest forever.
>>
>>7694040
I don't think this is true in every case. For example, it's better to read Crying of Lot 49 before V. when trying to get into Pynchon. Some people would recommend Inherent Vice before Lot 49 as well.
>>
I just started on The Sound and the Fury. It's interesting and following Benjy's narrative can be jarring but even for being just a day in the life (with plenty of flashbacks) it's not too hard to follow. You just gotta lean back and enjoy the ride, I think.

Also, Quentin is a bad ass for not taking his brother-in-law's money and almost kicking his ass.
>>
>>7693806
>>7693982
The only Faulkner I've read is As I Lay Dying, and I was not into it at all. It wasn't bad or anything, but I didn't get why Faulkner is considered such a great author.

Ignoring for the moment the possibility that I may be a total pleb, is there any other starting point I could try?
>>
>>7694050
>it's better to read Crying of Lot 49 before V
No it isn't. It literally does not matter. Obviously if someone wants to try something shorter/easier by an author they can pick the shorter work. Still doesn't warrant making a worthless thread
>>
>>7693856
I listed secondary literature after reread you dumb nigger
>>
>>7694082
Hey, retard, how about the fact that an easier introduction to themes found in an author's ouevre will allow the reader to notice and absorb said themes in harder works?
>>
>>7694091
the retard you're talking to is simple-minded, leave him be.

As for Pynchon, it's GR or nothing.
>>
File: sadfas.jpg (23 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
sadfas.jpg
23 KB, 1280x720
>>7694060
>Quentin is a bad ass
>>
>>7693982
my first faulkner was AILD. I liked it, but didn't amazed me. Then I read The Sound and the Fury and I thought it was pretty dope. Then I read Absalom and it became one of my fav novels.
>>
I read TSOTF at uni last year. We just straight dove into. I thought it interesting though he decided to tell a story the way he did it. I recently read AILD and i was able to pick up on a few things more quickly, but its still a challenge. Faulkners work requires multiple readings though, so don't get discouraged if you don't get into it the first time around.
>>
>>7694116
I mean, I'm 20% into the book but yeah the part where his brother-in-law is trying to turn his screws, first by offering him money then by actually intimidating him but ends up backing down when Quentin calls his bluff. Bad-ass.
>>
>>7694138
keep reading
>>
>>7694091
You know you can just reread a work again, which is going to be much better for understanding an authors work than reading them in some arbitrary order.
>>
>>7694068
I wasn't into it at first either but it gets a lot better like 50 pages in. Also the ending is great.
>>
>>7694164
Oh my good goodness... did what I think happen with Caddy really happen...

reactionface.jpg warranted, my friend
>>
>>7694138
Keep reading lol
>>
>>7694068
Maybe try some of his short stories. I recall thinking that 'That Evening Sun' was pretty good, but it's been a while.

Faulkner is a great author for several reasons, but he's writing Southern literature, so you need some familiarity with the culture and history of the South to fully get what he's writing about. If you're coming in blind, you might want to give WJ Cash's 'Mind of the South' a read as well.
>>
>>7694091
You're an absolute retard if you actually think TCoL is going to make V. any less shit.
>>
>>7694554
You're an absolute retard if you can't appreciate V.
>>
>>7694568
It must be sad to live as a retard Pynchon fanboy.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.